podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

SkateCast #62: Carol Heiss Jenkins

I was hoping this would be a "Christmas Carol" for everyone, then I got sick over the holidays and couldn't get out of bed. So I'm sorry it's late, but hey, at least I got it done in December!

Here is part one of my interview with Carol Heiss Jenkins. She broke a podcast record and spoke for over two hours! So I split this into two podcasts for the sake of everyone's bandwidth.

The one I'm releasing today is covers through the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley. She talks at length about how her (also very accomplished) brother and sister competed with her in the sport, what it was like taking lessons from famous coach Pierre Brunet, how she developed those axels in both directions, and a whole lot more.

Part two will be released in January, and covers her film career, coaching, and thoughts on skating.

Enjoy the interview, and Happy New Year!!!
    Last edited by manleywoman; 12-31-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Many thanks - Happy New Year!

vCash
    Fascinating. Thanks and Happy New Year.

vCash
    Thank you, thank you!
    CHJ is an amazing person; with an incredible history.
    Bravo, to her.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Bumping this up. Carol Heiss I think gets forgotten between Tenley Albright and Peggy Fleming, and she was a formidable skater in her day. I hope more people listen to this podcast.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I haven't had the time due to the holidays, but I certainly will not be missing it. I'm curious if she mentioned that time she supposedly met Sonja Henie, and Sonja said something like, "I hear people saying you are the next Sonja Henie, but there is only one Sonja Henie and that is me."

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Part 1 of my interview with Carol Heiss Jenkins is now transcribed.

Certain quotes stick out in my mind from all these interviews, and this is one of my favorites from Ms. Heiss-Jenkins:
    On explaining the difference to her students between skating then and skating now: Iíll tell them, you can watch on YouTube. Theyíll go, oh, itís so hard to do a double axel, and Iíll say, you werenít anywhere near a twinkle in your parentsí eye because your parents werenít even born then, but go on YouTube and watch my brother-in-law in 1957 do the triple axel. And they donít say anything any more. And thatís where I think I can help them ó to say, oh, you think itís so monumental, but you put your mind to it, you persevere, you have to have patience. And I tell the kids now, the reason you get frustrated is because you can Google anything. You go on Google and you can get your answers instantaneously. And to be honest with you, Iím the same way, Iíve fallen into the same trap. But I also realize that for anything to be worthwhile, you have to be patient. You canít Google a double axel or an Olympic gold medal, it doesnít work that way. And they like that, they like it to be put in their terms. But also I think my age has helped me. They know how long ago it was that I skated, and yes, it was different then, I didnít have the triple jumps. But the sport hasnít changed. The double axel hasnít changed. And I tell them the story about my mom and me, about my having tears over learning the double axel, I had the biggest cheat on it, it was so hard learning to stand up on it, and how my mom couldnít understand getting upset over one more turn in the air. And I got to thinking about it, and I thought, you know, my momís right. Just keep your arms in a little longer, stand up a little straighter, jump up a little higher. And the kids will say, but, but, but, but, but, and I say, oh, I know, I did the buts, buts, buts too, but in reality thatís what it is [laughs].
    I just love the "oh I did the buts, buts, buts, too" part.

vCash
    ^^ That's great ... I really feel re Heiss' admonition: "...the reason you get frustrated is because you can Google anything ... and you can get your answers instantaneously ... I've fallen into the same trap. But I also realize that for anything to be worthwhile, you have to be patient." And ultimately what she's saying is: You have to keep trying. Don't give up.

Everything is so speedy and so right now, and what's new, and what's the latest. I get frustrated when my computer takes a few seconds longer than usual, forgetting how long it used to take in the days of dial-up. I'm just so used to having stuff quickly at my fingertips, and moving quickly through the day, forgetting what it means to slow down a bit and savor, and take the time to be more in alignment with purpose, and to be patient.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Part Two is now transcribed. This part is her career after winning in 1960: starring in "Snow White and the Three Stooges," becoming a coach, coaching Tim Goebel and his quad, coaching Lisa Ervin and Tonia Kwiatkowski, the superstitions of all the big coaches, and her thoughts on IJS.