vCash

Best Figure Skating Costumes

Interesting take on costumes from the current figure skating season:

Nick Verreos

I like his choices of ladies' costumes better than those of the men.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Same. The men's choices are a bit frou frou for my liking. I prefer more streamlined outfits for the guys that emphasize their speed and line.

vCash
    I think Agnes' long program costume is extremely unflattering and Mao's long program dress is plain ugly. I agree with the rest of his choices though. And I hadn't noticed until now how Daisuke Takahashi's short program costume makes him look exactly like The Engineer in Miss Saigon. If he skates to that score next season, he can save money and just wear the same costume again.

vCash
    He's fairly spot on... though amused to see the often loved/hated Madison Chock dress mentioned as "best".

In my personal taste, the year before the Olympics seems to be one of the worst for skating outfits (in the four year cycle). It seems like the year everyone is either "taking a risk" or at least testing out/experimenting with new styles/colors/designs to know what will go over best during the Olympic season... which is all pretty understandable. (S/S Bolero outfits, anyone?).

There are always a few gems, though. I'll be interested to see if anyone changes outfits for nationals/4 cont/Euro/Worlds.

I am in LOVE with Tessa's Carmen dress, and I agree that both of Tatiana Volosozhar's dresses are just flawless this season. Charlene Guignard's dress reminds me so much of a Megan Williams Stewart dress done by Brad Griffies that I wonder if he's the designer.

How did I miss the outfit shown for "Ekaterina Pushkash and Jonathan Guerreiro". Wow. That DOES scream synchro swimming inspired.

One new "trend" this year that has to go (and is particularly popular with the RUS skaters): the mesh-over-nude-fabric that gives an allusion of awkwardly see through, especially when it's showing awkward booty-crack lines. Ug.

vCash
    I loved Julia Lipnitskaia's costume. I thought she looked fierce.

vCash
    just an update on the link to the figure skating costume blog that is now updated:

Nick Verreos