View Poll Results: Greatest Skater(s) To Win Junior Worlds, Senior Worlds, And The Olympic Title?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kristi Yamaguchi

9 4.86%
  • Kim Yu-Na

24 12.97%
  • Viktor Petrenko

1 0.54%
  • Alexei Yagudin

19 10.27%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

31 16.76%
  • Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov

54 29.19%
  • Anton Sikharulidze

1 0.54%
  • Sergei Ponomarenko

1 0.54%
  • Oksana Grishuk & Evgeni Platov

9 4.86%
  • Marina Anissina

2 1.08%
  • Roman Kostomarov

1 0.54%
  • Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

33 17.84%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Because I heart trivia: At 1998 Worlds, the oldest competitor was either David Liu (who competed at the 1988 Olympics) or Michael Shmerkin (born February 5, 1970). The youngest competitor in men's singles at 2012 Euros? Slavik Hayrapetyan, who was born on March 16, 1996.
    Yes, but they didn't win any medals. When Plushenko was 15, won silver in ECh and bronze in WCh. Since is worst result was 4th place in 2000 at WCh but on other competitons he won golds or silvers..He won his first Ech title in 2000, he beat Yagudin. Unbeliveable!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Yes, but they didn't win any medals. When Plushenko was 15, won silver in ECh and bronze in WCh. Since is worst result was 4th place in 2000 at WCh but on other competitons he won golds or silvers..He won his first Ech title in 2000, he beat Yagudin. Unbeliveable!
    I might be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time but, I think falling_dance was also pointing out the amazing spread of ages of Plushenko's competitors. Plushenko has been skating at an elite level for so long, he's skated against competitors born in 1970 and against competitors born in 1996. He's gone up against (and has often beaten) skaters not just of different 'skating' generations, but against competitors of different age generations entirely. At least, that's how I look at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    if Evgeni medals in Sochi, he will tie the greatest figure skater of all-time, Gillis Grafstrom, with 4 medals. And if he somehow medals twice in Sochi, by divine providence, he will become the greatest of all time.
    Even if EP doesn't medal (gets fourth or fifth) Gillis Grafstom wasn't doing quads.

vCash
    Ah, always the same argument from those that live only in the present, totally forgetting the time in which those before us lived. Gillis Grafstrom was like no other before or since, there's no one that compares to him, not even today, he was a master of his time, combining technical precision with elegant artistry on ice, in fact he was renown for his musical interpretation. And his career spanned an unheard of two decades. He won his first World Championships at age 29 (he won three all together, just like Zhenya btw) and his last Olympic Medal (a silver) at age 39! Not to mention he was 19 when he participated in his first competition, and 39 at his last.

I find it interesting that, once again just like Zhenya, his Olympic career spanned 12 years from 1920-1932, and God willing, so will Zhenya's from 2002-2014.

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I think falling_dance was also pointing out the amazing spread of ages of Plushenko's competitors.
    Yes, that's what I was emphasizing.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Grafstrom was amazing. He was way ahead of his time artistically in the same way Dick Button was decades ahead of time technically. It would take decades before men would even consider skating with the elegance, poise, posture, lines, flair, and musical sense he displayed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12