vCash

Boston Common Frog Pond Dec. 31 at 6 pm - free show with SCoB skaters!

Junior pair skater Jimmy Morgan tweeted: "Free show on New Years Eve! Join us!" He listed the following Skating Club of Boston skaters: Ross Miner, Christina Gao, Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff, Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus, Alexandria Shaughnessy/Jimmy Morgan http://pic.twitter.com/YTOhB7sT

http://www.bostonfrogpond.com/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Oh I wish I were in Boston!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Jimmy Morgan just tweeted this morning: "So sorry guys. Alex and I won't be skating in the first night festivities. She's come down with a bad fever."

Hope some Boston area fans might be able to make today's show!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Oh I wish I were in Boston!
    me too!!

vCash
    Omgosh did anybody have the pleasure of seeing this!?!

I would have loved to see D&S skate again, they're still my favorite pair team, and I'm praying and hoping they do well at Nationals.

vCash
    3 pages of thumbnail photos - page 2 includes A. Cannuscio/McManus, Donlan/Speroff, Gao, Miner (he's also on page 3): http://www.flickr.com/photos/scbosto...943772/?page=2

vCash
    Thank you, Sylvia, those photos are lovely!

vCash
    Great photos!! Gretchen Donlan has such nice positions. And I enjoyed seeing Can/McManus. I wonder what they skated to. I imagine it was a cold night the way the skaters are dressed!

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Its been well below freezing the past few nights around Boston and the whole downtown area is a giant wind tunnel to begin with. Major for the skaters (especially those who are Nationals-bound in a few weeks) for going ahead with their programs despite the cold. I actually work close to the Frog Pond, but I was logged in from home on NYE since I still have a cold of my own and didn't want to do the Arctic trek that is my walk to the office. No idea how they managed to perform, but hopefully it was well attended since having spectators around the boards helps block the wind somewhat.

vCash
    It was actually fairly comfortable on the Frog Pond for New Years Eve. I thought it was much colder during the Tree Lighting skating show in November and a lot more windy then too. Considering that the city scaled way back on the Boston Common activities for New Years, the crowds around the skaters were huge. Many were there a whole hour before the show even began. It was a really nice representation of skaters on the ice and other than a very small warming area, the Frog Pond area is completely outside, so all the skaters weathered cold temperatures for close to 2 hours. I think the excitement of skating under the stars, with a very appreciate crowd watching, kept them warm . I noticed that Ashley Cain was in the crowds as a spectator.

Shan, CanMan skated to Ella Fitzgerald's "What are you doing New Years Eve?" .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post

Shan, CanMan skated to Ella Fitzgerald's "What are you doing New Years Eve?" .
    Thanks!

vCash
    Thanks for the report, sounds wonderful, especially skating under the stars and fresh air with the moon shining above, what a way to bring in the new year!

This is my favorite photo:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/scbosto...7632405943772/

I just love D/S star lift, it's always been a favorite element of mine that they do exquisitely (reminiscent of G&G imho). Lol if I could I would give them +3 GOE for it across the board. Also I enjoy this spread eagle spiral that they do with Gretchen in a split position (kinda reminds me of Evan&Emily when they used to do this in their "Saturday Night Fever" routine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/scbosto...7632405943772/

After watching their SP a few days ago on youtube I'm of the opinion that it's going to be a signature piece for them, let alone a masterpiece by the time Nationals come round. I was blessed to see it, as well as their ethereal FS this past Skate America, cherished memories...

vCash
    I saw the show, which featured lots of regional competitors. IMHO, it was not as good as the show that SCOB did at Frog Pond the week after Thanksgiving (where Stephen Carriere, Harrison Choate, and Yasmin Siraj performed).

Donlan & Speroff--my favorites here--skated to "Time To Say Goodbye," which was elegantly performed. They did a couple of lifts that covered the length of the rink with beautiful positions. I was nervous for them because the ice did not look too good, and they skated later in the show! For their throw, she only did 2.5 revs (I think they attempted throw 3salchow--I had an obstructed view so couldn't see the entrance).

Ross Miner skated to "Luck Be a Lady Tonight." From what I could see, he did 3sal, 3 flip, and doubled another sal. I enjoyed his outside spread eagle, which fit nicely with the music.

Christina Gao skated to "Gangnam Style." What made this good was that she let her hair down--literally and figuratively. I wish she could skate with this type of emotion and expression in her competitive program (I know, easier said than done). In the middle of the program, a bunch of other SCOB skaters (including Ross Miner and I think I saw Harrison Choate?) came onto the ice wearing the PSY-style sunglasses and did the signature dance moves.

The show was not as long as the post-Thanksgiving one, but there were neat fireworks afterward that boomed into downtown Boston as I walked through the South End/Back Bay.

As an aside, I saw Simon Shnapir on Tues. at SCOB and thought, "Wow, he and Marissa could be the next U.S. pair champions or at least finally win a medal."