View Poll Results: Moonlight Sonata in Exhibition: Gordeeva and Grinkov VS Belusova and Protopopov

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I love them both, can't pick or compare the two, but I will say this, Katia & Sergei literally glowed, they made the audience a part of their love story with their smiles, openness, sharing of their daughter Daria, et al, whereas P&P never made me feel that way. They always seemed so stiff, remote, never smiling, like they were on a different plane then everybody else, dare I say a tad hoity-toity. Just my own personal impressions.

I've read what wonderful people P&P are, and I applaud their love of skating, still skating today, unheard of, I respect them for that. And for skating for the Jimmy Fund every year.
    Remember, the Protopopov's were part of an era where "perfection" was the goal; and there was likely "hell to pay" with TPTB, if it wasn't achieved.
    I doubt that "pleasure"/emotion conveyed in performance was encouraged.
    After all, it was supposedly the Soviet "machine" that made such greatness "possible"; if the propaganda of the era was to be believed.

Lest you think that they were really stiff and emotionless, please listen to the commentary and narration in this clip;

Protopopov & Protopopov - 1984 World Pros, Pairs' Artistic Program
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlhlyKN9QE

Fortunately, G and G were not constrained from expressing their emotions on the ice, some years later.

vCash
    I thank you for your viewpoint, skatesindreams, I can tell you are real admirer of this legendary couple, and rightfully so.

And, yes, I remember the days of the so-called Soviet machine, especially when it came to Gymnastics. Yet who defied them all this stereotype was the darling of the 1972 Olympics, the smiling charming elfin Olga Korbut, whom we all fell in love with. She belied the stereotype of the time that the Soviets were a machine, showing no emotion, just tough little soldiers. And I would say the same goes for G&G. At the time of the late 80's they were still that mysterious Soviet machine couple living in the USSR, yet they too showed emotion in their performances, which made the public fall in love with them as well. Jmho.

Anyhow, as I said previously, I cannot choose, they are both beautiful and unique in their *own* way, no wonder each is a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    When I think of that era of the Soviet Gymnastics Machine, I think of Ludmilla Tourischeva

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    When I think of that era of the Soviet Gymnastics Machine, I think of Ludmilla Tourischeva

Vacant
    vCash
    *Sigh* I love them both so will not choose Regarding the lift positions - you have to remember that overheads didn't really exist as we know them today until the 1950's so technically the lifts were still in their infancy. Ludmilla's lift posture was by far better than anyone else's skating at the time but to our eyes can look dated. And I always thought that she was radiant when she skated - even under the weight of the soviet sports machine. I mean the woman wore tiara's when she skated and no one batted an eyelid! What's not to love?

vCash
    I'm with you, floskate!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I mean the woman wore tiara's when she skated and no one batted an eyelid! What's not to love?
    Well, if FSU had been around, I'm certain she would have at least been nominated for Gay Icon of the Year multiple times over

. . . Is there a lifetime achievement award

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Anyway, Katia Gordeeva has probably the best basics ever (at least, that's my opinion).
    She really is the best pairs skater, she floats across the ice, and her ability to be musical to so many ranges of music...perfection.....
    Wile not my favourite program of GG this is up there, and I voted for them based on these programs provided.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12