vCash

Skating treadmills

I just read about them this morning:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle7193148/

And this is what they look like:

http://www.woodway.com/performance/blade.html

So, is there any advantage to using something like this for figure skating?

I can certainly see it for speed skating.

vCash
    My daughter uses it for hockey and I find it's most helpful for her as you have the freedom to really push your edges if you want (the harness will catch you if you go too far ). I can see how this would help a figure skater as well. In the case of my daughter, she was only 8 when she started so it was a great way to instill good skating technique as the coach was able to correct bad habits on the spot. In addition to regular drills, it is also useful for building stamina since you can force the skater to move at any speed you want and with an incline. Most important of all though is the fact that it's really fun. For a regular session she'd be working non-stop for 50 minutes with no complaining. She did have a great instructor though (who was also working a bit with Barb Underhill) and that made a huge difference in that he was a great motivator. I know lots of hockey players/teams that use it, though I haven't heard of any figure skaters. The progression I think for hockey is to work on balance, power, and endurance, so it can certainly work for anyone.

vCash
    Thanks for the reply. It's good to see that ice sports are using new and good technical training tools.