Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

2014 Skate America to be in Chicago (Hoffman Estates, IL)

Just saw tweet from Phil Hersh - his article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7774152.story

See below for link to USFS' press release (they broke the news first but I was reading my Twitter timeline backwards ).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-25-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Here's your link to the story on USFSA http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...049&type=media

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Never been to Chicago other than layovers. Hmmm...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So is this an "awesome" location or not? Fans, weigh in with your opinions and reactions! I bet Gracie Gold and Jason Brown will be happy!

ETA that there's at least one happy fan:
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    Super easy trek to the burbs for me. I am stoked.
    Important date to note in USFS' press release:
    "The complete list of athletes selected to compete at the 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America and the rest of the 2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events will be announced June 27."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-25-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    wow, I think that qualifies as awesome, accessible to lot, lot, lot of people!

I can't afford to go this year, but still think that's a cool location.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I have a work conflict so I can't go but I think its a great location. Great thinking to put SA in an area that hasn't had a major skating event in a very long time and with local skaters on the international scene that can help promote it.

vCash
    Wow, that's my turf! I wonder if they need volunteers

vCash
    OMG! Chicago!!! I can drive! Now I need to figure out if 1) I can afford to go and 2) If I have the vacation time to go.

If you get all-event tickets, do they usually include practices? What day do practices start?
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    I thinks this is a little outside of Chicago, so be sure to check before you book hotels etc... My only real concern is transport. It's not close to the airport or in an area with good subway from what I could tell.

But just in case I did a quick hotel search and got the Marriott that's suppose to be a mile from there for $85 a night. Pretty cheap

The Hilton Garden Inn which might be the "host" hotel is also showing open at $74 a night.

If you might go I would grab a hotel room that's cancellable before they realize they have an event and try to raise the rates

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If you get all-event tickets, do they usually include practices?
    Yes and practices are the best part!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Yep, straight west for me, and not too far. Never thought about volunteering; wonder if you need to belong to a skating club? For those of you thinking of coming, Hoffman Estates is northwest of Chicago. You would probably want to stay in a hotel/motel in Schaumburg area, as there are lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping around the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. The Hilton in Rosemont is the official hotel, but it isn't really close and might be a rough drive in rush hour. The arena has it's own website and offers lodging thru Marriott.

http://www.searscentre.com/

The Sears Centre is near a bunch of forest preserves so there should be a lot of nature hiking nearby, and bike paths. Might be pretty depending on the weather.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Four hours away. Sounds like a plan.

ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I thinks this is a little outside of Chicago, so be sure to check before you book hotels etc... My only real concern is transport. It's not close to the airport or in an area with good subway from what I could tell.
    It's not that far from O'Haire, IIRC, but no subway from the airport to there. (US AN was in the area a few years ago so I'm going from memory from then.)

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    And as far as I know, there is no public transportation from the airport to Hoffman Estates. You would need to rent a car, unless that Marriott in Hoffman Estates has a shuttle that picks up at the airport.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Yes and practices are the best part!
    So what days do I ask off work for?

And will someone be my friend? Because there is no way I'm going to talk my husband into going to this!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem X View Post
    And as far as I know, there is no public transportation from the airport to Hoffman Estates. You would need to rent a car, unless that Marriott in Hoffman Estates has a shuttle that picks up at the airport.
    And that eliminates SA from my plans this year...
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    My daughter lives a 20 minute drive from the arena in Bartlett!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Those hotel prices sound great -- far less than downtown Chicago.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Those hotel prices sound great -- far less than downtown Chicago.
    Except far less accessible for those coming from the airport. If you cab from the airport, you'll probably end up paying the equivalent of your cheaper hotel stay in cabfare. Well maybe not that much but you get my drift. Like any location, it works great for some things and not for others.

vCash
    I think that this is fantastic. Chicago is a major travel hub, is close to other huge cities by plane, and has local skaters who will probably complete. Additionally, Canada isn't far away, so maybe the arena will be quite full. It would be WONDERFUL! And besides, Spinner lives in Chicago. That should be enough of a draw for everyone-- maybe even PrincessLeppard!!!
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    And that eliminates SA from my plans this year...
    Why? I'm sure you could hook up with someone with a car (like me, most likely) if things are planned out ahead of time.

ETA - most hotels in that area have airport shuttles - again IRRC from a while ago.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast