View Poll Results: Would Michelle Kwan have likely won the 2002 Olympics if Frank Carroll remained coach

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 62.37%
  • No

11 11.83%
  • Don't Know

24 25.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    The Tosca certainly is lovely and I adore the 2003 sp dress as well. I like most costumes Kwan wore actually. There were so many nice ones, such as the one from her 'Winter' program and the first year she performed 'East of Eden' in ex as a World Champion for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Of her Vera Wang dresses, I thought her 2002 Rachmaninoff and Nationals Tosca dresses were incredible. I think her Aranjuez and The Feeling Begins (2003 Nationals and Worlds) were quite interesting as well. The first one was reminiscent of the way Pedro Almodovar costumed the matadors in the film Talk to Her while the latter had a very interesting back, one of the more interesting looks I've seen on a skating costume.
    Yes to everything. The back of the Tosca dress was gorgeous, it had almost a sexy bondage style with the overlapping straps. Actually, a lot of Michelle's dresses in her final years of competition did - like the blue one with which she almost had a wardrobe malfunction.

Sometimes skating costumes can either look practice generic (think of plain sleeveless dresses with straps and sparkles).
    I agree but I surprisingly ended up LOVING the glittery purple dress she wore at 2001 worlds for song of the black swan. I mean it had nothing to do with the music but..she looked great lol

Imo a lot of Michelle's Vera Wang dresses would've looked good as real life dresses off the ice. They were like couture. I liked some of Mare Talbot's dresses, but her style is the epitome of pageanty. Vera's dresses were just simple and elegant with beautiful cuts, colors and fabric. And when Vera made a thematic dress (like Spartacus) she didn't go over-the-top with the gladiator/Roman theme, but stayed subtle. Spartacus is one of the most regal dresses Michelle ever wore.
    The original Lyra dress Mare Talbot made was horrific and she was upset when Michelle replaced it with the beautiful blue Mark Bouwer dress for Nationals and Olympics..that was the end of their working relationship lol, Mare even bashed the Bouwer dress in an interview later on, saying that she didn't understand why Michelle was wearing such an unflattering dress
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-28-2013 at 07:51 AM.

vCash
    ^^ Interesting ... some of you guys are really in the know on all of this costuming backstory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I liked some of Mare Talbot's dresses, but her style is the epitome of pageanty...

The original Lyra dress Mare Talbot made was horrific and she got angry when Michelle replaced it with the beautiful blue Mark Bouwer dress for Nationals and Olympics..that was the end of their working relationship lol, Mare even bashed the Bouwer dress in an interview later on, saying that she didn't understand why Michelle was wearing such an unflattering dress
    Funny you mention pageantry with Mare Talbot because I always wondered what was her inspiration for the Rachmaninoff and original Lyra Angelica dresses...the swimsuit competition at the Miss America pageant?

Here is an interesting Mare Talbot article before Nagano.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/feb/20/news/ls-20938

Yet even she doesn't know which of her designs the skater will wear when she performs to British composer William Alwyn's "Lyra Angelica" for the final competition.
    "She has a new white costume that's off-the-shoulder and has gold beading, and a blue slip style one with tiny spaghetti straps that goes from pale on the top to deep blue at the bottom of the skirt," Talbot says. "The program is very light, lyrical and joyous, and I tried to give that feeling" with the costumes.
    I wonder if we ever saw the two dresses Talbot mentions because I don't remember seeing Kwan wearing those at all.

I remember there was some grumbling that Sarah Hughes decided to re-stylize herself before SLC with Jeff Billings, essentially dumping Tania Bass, whose dresses she had been wearing all season. I do think that was a wise choice because there was something that made Sarah look pale and plain with Bass' designs and colors.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.

vCash
    The blue slip with "tiny spaghetti straps" is this monstrosity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtkBeR7An4

Whereas the white off the shoulder dress with gold beading is quite pretty I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8i-KY1nuHY

(she also used the white one for the cover of one of her autobiographies)

vCash
    Oh wait..maybe the white one above isn't right since Mare calls it a "new" costume and this article is from 1998..whereas the Winter costume is from 97

vCash
    Speaking of Song of the Black Swan, what do you think of this one?

mk16-1.jpg

I always liked it myself, and always wondered if Kwan had intended to wear this instead the dress she ended up wearing for 2001 Worlds (since her luggage got lost).

vCash
    I liked it too! I was shocked because it's very unlike Michelle. It's almost Russian in style, like something Irina would wear lol
    but it certainly matches the program. She had like 5 different dresses that season for that one lp lol

vCash
    Yes to everything. The back of the Tosca dress was gorgeous, it had almost a sexy bondage style with the overlapping straps. Actually, a lot of Michelle's dresses in her final years of competition did - like the blue one with which she almost had a wardrobe malfunction.

I agree but I surprisingly ended up LOVING the glittery purple dress she wore at 2001 worlds for song of the black swan. I mean it had nothing to do with the music but..she looked great lol
    It was pink/fuscia (sp?); definitely not purple. I saw it in person. It was one of my favorite Kwan dresses. I did not always like her dresses, but liked this one very much.

vCash

mk16-1.jpg

I always liked it myself, and always wondered if Kwan had intended to wear this instead the dress she ended up wearing for 2001 Worlds (since her luggage got lost).
    LOVE that costume for Black Swan.

vCash
    The blue slip with "tiny spaghetti straps" is this monstrosity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtkBeR7An4

Whereas the white off the shoulder dress with gold beading is quite pretty I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8i-KY1nuHY

(she also used the white one for the cover of one of her autobiographies)
    Love the dress but not on someone with Michelle's torso type. It reminds me of this costume which was also unflattering on her. http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...n/kwan-sp2.jpg She probably weighed 50 pounds at the time but the design did the impossible and made her appear bulky in all the wrong places.

I preferred her in slightly longer skirts, jmo obviously.

vCash

mk16-1.jpg

Very striking, but a bit distracting, IMO. I prefer the more modest costume she wore at worlds (and several other costumes in other competitions). It's easier to focus on the skating when the costume does not overpower the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I thought MK had a whole bunch of amazing skating dresses:
    There are many others.
    Oddly, I hated the orange and blue ones. The Orange was from her 2004 FS, I think. I thought some of the dresses from earlier in her career were lovely, though. I especially liked the burgundy one with the old gold lace detail and a navy/purple one she wore for an exhibition program on the COI tour.

Her Chris Dean SP to Eric Clapton in 2000-2001 and Miraculous Mandarin LP at the 2001 GPF were steps in the right direction, but due to the perceived negative feedback from fans, judges, and possibly her team, she decided to go back to what worked for her.
    I don't think negative feedback necessarily had anything to do with her choices. It is a recognized strategy in skating for skaters to do something quite different the season before the Olympics, either to get noticed or, for skaters already at the top, to show the skating world (incl judges) your range and versatility. That accomplished, skaters usually go back to what they do best and what is most comfortable for the Olympic season. One example that comes immediately to mind is Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze's City Lights (Chaplin) program in the 2000-2001 season.

I think it is impossible to know whether Kwan would have done better in 2002 had she stayed with Carroll. The rock-solid and astonishingly reliable triples that marked her earlier career were already beginning to seem a little less reliable even before the split. She did not skate well at 2001 Skate America with the benefit of his preparation, but that could have been partly emotional (they split just a couple days before this event). Still, given what the other contenders did in Salt Lake City, I think a clean skate by Kwan would have given her gold in SLC. Even if Hughes won the free skate, Kwan needed only to be second to win. I don't know if Carroll would have gotten her to SLC any better prepared physically, but the security of a known environment and eliminating the endless questioning relating to her choice may have let her skate with a clearer mind.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234