View Poll Results: Would Michelle Kwan have likely won the 2002 Olympics if Frank Carroll remained coach

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 62.37%
  • No

11 11.83%
  • Don't Know

24 25.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Thanks for this!!!

A "Today in Kwan History" tidbit: today is the 15-year anniversary of the Kween's glorious 1998 Nationals free skate.

Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Isn't this also the nine-year anniversary of her 2004 US Nats free skate?
    Funny and very sad because I'll post the similar replies in 9 or 15 years later.
    This too will pass away.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, I feel old now.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, I feel old now.
    LOL, and I remember the first time I watched her, at 1994 Junior Worlds, I was impressed...Yes, I feel old too !

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Thanks for this! I hadn't seen this before, and I thought I'd seen everything featuring the Kween.

vCash
    ^^^
    Ditto!

vCash
    It was really interesting to see Kwan talk about the Russian school of figure skating. A lot of her interviews don't really go into that much depth of the actual training and philosophies behind the sport, so it was nice to see that here.

I was looking up Kwan youtube clips, and I found a very recent one of her and her sister, Karen, partaking in a dance class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=WMhisPbIOlQ

Nice to see her in some sort of performance again.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-27-2013 at 06:47 PM.

vCash
    I always found the talk of Kwans so called decline before the Olympic season funny. In the 3 Worlds that quad before the 2001-2002 she went silver, gold, and gold, and she lost a grand total of 4 events in all those 3 years, coming 2nd at the other 4. She won back to back World titles, the only time in her career she would do so, and her 2000 and 2001 World winning LPs were her best skates ever when factoring in technical prowess. Her worst skates did not come close to matching her 97 Nationals or even 97 GPF skates in struggles. Her decline didnt begin until the Olympic season and AFTER she fired Frank and Lori. So if she doesnt win every single program, or some critics who are just looking for things to complain about or ways to introduce rivals nitpicked parts of her skating, that should be something to be paranoid about and just cause for major changes. Hello this isnt the 1920s and the Henie and Salchow no such thing as competitive skating era anymore.

vCash
    ^ And let's face, either of Slutskaya's or Kwan's 2002 World performances would have been good enough to win gold in SLC. Between the two, it just depends on who is on the judging panel and what they preferred because they were more or less similar in content to one another with Irina's performance showing off her strengths and Kwan's performance showing off her strengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30F6pRJH9C4

^ Although I don't think the choreography matched up to say her 2001 Song of the Black Swan performance, I do think had she hit the 3/3 here, this could have been considered one of her best performances.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.

vCash

vCash
    I was just watching her 2001 QR performance. Before she skated, the heel of her boot came off and she had to get it reglued on, with the boot being 1/8" higher than before. Considering how awkward that must be for jumping, she still skated brilliantly and landed 7 triples! It's situations like these that make her career so unbelievable.

vCash
    I'd never seen that Russian tv interview either ... interesting. MKF often has threads re rarely seen/ obscure MK photos. I wonder whether this particular interview was ever posted on MKF by the amazing Heather?

BTW, MK was very gracious to pose with these two fans in Georgetown at Ben & Jerry's:

http://instagram.com/p/YV0jJGst5M/

vCash
    My all-time favorite Kwan dress was the first Dream of Desdemona. It's my favorite short program costume of all time. The second one she wore was beautiful but the first was absolutely perfect.

For exhibition I loved her blue Dante's Prayer costume. There was something so elegant and classy about it. Witt had a similar costume but the color, fit and cut were so much more flattering on the more petite Kwan.

For long programs, the simple designs/lines for Red Violin and Lyra Angelica were divine.

Funnily enough, I never liked Vera Wang's creations for Kwan, yet I loved the costumes she created for Kerrigan. Her Kerrigan designs were standouts, but her Kwan designs weren't anything to write home about.

Post 1996, I only hated four of Kwan's costumes. The creamiscle 2001 worlds short , the original Lyra Angelica, the frumpy red Spartacus and the gold Bolero. The last two designs were extremely unflattering on her body type. I disliked her 98 Rach costume, too, but I didn't hate it.

And I don't care what Frank says, I liked the Pocahontas costume.

vCash
    I thought MK under Vera was the most elegantly dressed skater of all time. Omg...the 2002 purple Rachmaninoff dress was sumptuous

First of all that shade of purple is stunning, the bottom of the dress was made of more flowy material which looked good in motion, while the front had thousands of swarovski crystals sewn in a leaflike pattern down the front. soooooo elegant. i wonder why she never re-wears these costumes, she paid so much for them!

the dresses she's been wearing at yuna's skating shows have been HORRIBLE. that purple cut out lady tarzan one was the epitome of hideous...the other ones she's been wearing are very basic glittery juniorish dresses. i wonder if it's cos she doesn't fit into those tiny tiny vera wang dresses anymore
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-28-2013 at 06:30 AM.

vCash
    I too loved MK's Desdemona original sp dress, which beautifully suited the theme of the music. I think Vera Wang loves dressing Michelle and has done a fine job over the years (altho' there was a white skating dress once that seemed ill-fitting). In any case, Vera did an especially wonderful job creating MK's wedding dress:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ceremony.html

And, the below might be the red dress by Vera that MK reportedly wore during her wedding reception (altho' we never saw pics of her in it at the wedding reception). Might MK have shopped her closet (similar to another famous Michelle) for this Washington D.C. gala? Hmmm:

http://washingtonlife.smugmug.com/20...0706&k=7Km8Qjk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    And, the below might be the red dress by Vera that MK reportedly wore during her wedding reception (altho' we never saw pics of her in it at the wedding reception). Might MK have shopped her closet (similar to another famous Michelle) for this Washington D.C. gala? Hmmm:

http://washingtonlife.smugmug.com/20...0706&k=7Km8Qjk
    The material and design is reminiscent of the Bolero costume. She looks stunning in red but that dress is ugly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I thought MK under Vera was the most elegantly dressed skater of all time. Omg...the 2002 purple Rachmaninoff dress was sumptuous
    I thought once Michelle started wearing Wang, she stopped standing out, costume wise. I can't think of one memorable costume Wang created for her, except Bolero and that was memorable for all the wrong reasons. I'll never forget the second Lyra costume, Desdemona, Salome, both Taj Majals, Dante's Prayer and Red Violin, though. She looked like a goddess in all those costumes. Those were iconic costumes, imo. Who designed the second Lyra costume? Was that Mare Talbot? Is she still designing costumes? It may have been the most simple costume of all time but also the most lovely and just perfect for that program.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Who designed the second Lyra costume? Was that Mare Talbot? Is she still designing costumes? It may have been the most simple costume of all time but also the most lovely and just perfect for that program.
    Marc Bouwer designed it. I agree that it was quite lovely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    the dresses she's been wearing at yuna's skating shows have been HORRIBLE. that purple cut out lady tarzan one was the epitome of hideous...the other ones she's been wearing are very basic glittery juniorish dresses. i wonder if it's cos she doesn't fit into those tiny tiny vera wang dresses anymore
    Some female skaters start wearing those longer dresses once they hit or approach 30, unless they're blessed with a naturally miniscule frame like Yamaguchi. I thought the white dress Kwan wore in Kim's show was lovely.

http://asiapacificarts.usc.edu/files...lthatskate.png

I forgot to list Romanza as another terrific, standout pre-Wang costume. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GSMThMVYdi...an+romanza.jpg

vCash
    Of her Vera Wang dresses, I thought her 2002 Rachmaninoff and Nationals Tosca dresses were incredible. I think her Aranjuez and The Feeling Begins (2003 Nationals and Worlds) were quite interesting as well. The first one was reminiscent of the way Pedro Almodovar costumed the matadors in the film Talk to Her while the latter had a very interesting back, one of the more interesting looks I've seen on a skating costume.

Sometimes skating costumes can either look practice generic (think of plain sleeveless dresses with straps and sparkles) or really busy generic (think of those European ones where it looks like a cat had to claw its way out of a laundry basket with layers upon layers that ruin one's line). Some of Kwan's Wang designs weren't the most interesting, but I think for the most part, it looked different from what other people were wearing and utilized really interesting cuts you don't see often in skating.

OT, but I still think Shizuka Arakawa's 2006 Olympic LP dress is one of the best looks ever. She just looked regal and like a champion. From a fashion standpoint, I loved Fumie's 2005 LP pants ensemble and 2006 Olympic LP dress.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 04-28-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast