Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Elizabeth Littler is an ISU Championship judge - she judged the Ladies event at 2012 Worlds in Nice. Here's a news item about her on the NISA site: http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/5474
    Liz Littler was the Event Director for the European Championships and all the John Curry Junior Grand Prix in Sheffield and does all the work in the UK (on the link) on a voluntary basis to protect her eligibility with NISA so she can still judge.She was also the NISA Judges and Officials Director until May 2012.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Ok--I am confused about who gets what. I think you make a good argument for Evans and Austrailia is part of the Commonwealth (right?) so he should be awarded. Who can and cannot be bestowed with these honors?
    I think Australians can get on the Queen's list, but it's tricky and doesn't happen all that often. In fact, I don't even think Cadel got an OAM or anything for his achievement.

But my point was more laughing at the Poms who seem to award their sportsmen for the tiniest little deeds, though I certainly don't call a TdF tiny. It bemuses me that the first time they do something they are rushed to get an award, whereas with our honours lists, we tend to take it over time.

(And yes, we still dine out on the Poms being awarded MBEs/OBEs for winning the Ashes, including one batsman who played just one Test, and scored 7 and 11. And yes, he got an MBE too.)

vCash
    Ok--I am confused about who gets what. I think you make a good argument for Evans and Austrailia is part of the Commonwealth (right?) so he should be awarded. Who can and cannot be bestowed with these honors?
    These days these honours are for Brits only. The Queen bestows orders on her subjects (or GGs do on her behave) in each individual country in which she is sovereign. For example, I can be awarded Companion, Officer or Member of the Order of Canada, not of the British Empire, simply because there is no empire anymore. But the queen still is Queen of Canada, (and Queen of Australia) even though she isn't queen of all commonwealth countries

vCash
    Thanks for the explanations--it makes sense. I guess I happen to believe Wiggins's accomplishment was huge but that is just me.

vCash
    Thanks for the explanations--it makes sense. I guess I happen to believe Wiggins's accomplishment was huge but that is just me.
    I agree with you - the Kighthood was bestowed for a body of his achievements over the past 10-15 years - so it isn't being bestowed for the first thing he has done.

But then the poster moaning about it is obviously bitter about something other than the honours we 'Poms' bestow on those who have achieved something in their lives!! I just hope they continue to enjoy their dining out - regardless that the current holders of the Ashes are the Poms having won it on Australian soil back in 2011 - but then I guess that is the issue

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I agree with you - the Kighthood was bestowed for a body of his achievements over the past 10-15 years - so it isn't being bestowed for the first thing he has done.

But then the poster moaning about it is obviously bitter about something other than the honours we 'Poms' bestow on those who have achieved something in their lives!! I just hope they continue to enjoy their dining out - regardless that the current holders of the Ashes are the Poms having won it on Australian soil back in 2011 - but then I guess that is the issue
    I got that impression as well Lorac. Don't get what the problem is other than someone w/an axe to grind.

Speaking of Honours and Canada...The New Year's Order of Canada list has just been released and Paul Henderson is on in some manner. I'm guessing promotion w/in the Order. Will be back w/the list once I find it.

eta ~Found it over at the CBC and no wonder they've got it up so fast. Michael Enright has been named as a Member of the Order, as has Paul Henderson.

CBC ~ Order of Canada bestowed on 91 new appointees
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 12-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post

Of course a Pom would see bemusement and amusement as moaning. They do nothing but whinge themselves.

At any rate, I have said, half a dozen times, that Wiggins' achievement is great. I do not demean it. It just amuses me that the Poms rush to honour little things. In Australia we wait many years and evaluate the body of work as a whole at its completion, normally.

Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are both OBEs, I believe, as soon as their championships were won, but it took Sir Jack Brabham many years before he was recognised (and became Sir), and his feat is many, many, many times greater.

Though I grant that the Poms may have a chance at beating us if this current selection board is still in power by the next Ashes.

vCash
    I'm surprised Paul Henderson wasn't already given the Order of Canada. Ken Dryden got promoted to Officer as well.

I think Michael Enright's award will cause a bit of a stir, seeing as how he dissed Catholicism a few years ago and ended up having to apologize for what he said.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm surprised Paul Henderson wasn't already given the Order of Canada. Ken Dryden got promoted to Officer as well.

I think Michael Enright's award will cause a bit of a stir, seeing as how he dissed Catholicism a few years ago and ended up having to apologize for what he said.
    You and me both!! He's not in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but Tretiak is (deservedly I may add. Haven't got a problem at all w/one of the greatest goalies to ever play the game being in there, but considering just *how* important Paul's goal is to this Country and...Grrr!!!) I did a double take when I saw this wasn't a promotion w/in the Order and he's only being installed as a Member of it now.

Then again...If any GG was going to agree w/Paul finally being given at least one of two long overdue honours, it would be this GG.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Then again...If any GG was going to agree w/Paul finally being given at least one of two long overdue honours, it would be this GG.
    LOL, true dat! But ... the GG doesn't actually have any say in who receives the Order of Canada, it's a committee. Heck, the GG doesn't even decide who gets the Goveror General awards!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12