vCash

Dorothy Hamill talks 'Stars on Ice,' changes in figure skating

An interview with Hamill ahead of the December 31st Hershey (PA) Stars on Ice show: http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2012/12/...hy_hamill.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The chance to see Kurt & Dorothy do a duet....that's a pretty good reason to pay those prices!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    What a great interview. Gotta love Dorothy.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I really like the interview. Very candid...and not b*tching about the good ol' days and how skating sucks now. She totally gets it's a more athletic sport and it needs to be to evolve the sport and keep it Olympics-worthy. Still the balances the positives and negatives about that. She seems like a cool chick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    What a great interview. Gotta love Dorothy.
    Indeed. She's lovely. Of all the skaters I've been a fan of over the years, Dorothy is number one on my list.

vCash
    I really enjoyed reading that interview.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I really like the interview. Very candid...and not b*tching about the good ol' days and how skating sucks now. She totally gets it's a more athletic sport and it needs to be to evolve the sport and keep it Olympics-worthy. Still the balances the positives and negatives about that. She seems like a cool chick.
    Yes, this. Her opinions come across as very balanced and gracious.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Loved the SOI show, especially Dorothy's duet with Kurt Too bad more folks won't get to see it
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Great interview. Thanks for posting.

The skaters she is talking about (as those skating in the show with her) are not all that young. I agree with her about today's young skaters, the technical difficulty, and decreased artistry as a result of it, and I like it that she is not blaming anyone or anything; just stating a fact.

vCash
    I only got to see Dorothy skate once as a professional and was amazed at her carriage, and wonderful run of the blade. She has wonderful basics. I always admired her for doing a 2Lz at the 2000 Winter Goodwill games! (Hope I got the year right)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Indeed. She comes across as honest yet gracious . At least she doesn't seem to be consumed with bitterness and contempt towards the new rules and present skaters.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 12-31-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus