View Poll Results: Your favorite Steven Spielberg directed/produced movies (pick up to 5)

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catch me if you can

15 27.78%
  • Close encounters of the 3rd kind

6 11.11%
  • ET

25 46.30%
  • Jaws

13 24.07%
  • Jurassic Park

18 33.33%
  • Lincoln

11 20.37%
  • Munich

10 18.52%
  • Raiders of the lost Ark

25 46.30%
  • Saving Private Ryan

20 37.04%
  • Schindlers List

35 64.81%
  • War Horse

6 11.11%
  • Other

9 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Your favorite Steven Spielberg directed movies (choose up to 5)

With the Oscars coming up, and Lincoln getting a lot of attention, I am thinking of other movies directed/produced by Steven Spielberg.

It will be difficult to pick just one or even three, so you can pick up to 5 from the list, but fewer are OK too.

I wanted to include The color purple, but ran out of options because I wanted one of them to be 'Other'.

I did not see 'Amistad' or A.I. and did not like War of the worlds and only marginally liked Minority report.
    Last edited by Vash01; 12-28-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I loved War of the Worlds. One of my favorite movies. I can watch it again and again for some reason and I do not typically sit through movies I have already seen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I loved War of the Worlds. One of my favorite movies. I can watch it again and again for some reason and I do not typically sit through movies I have already seen.
    Really? I can't decide if you're lucky or doomed.

I re-watch my favourite movies and tv series at least once a year, which means I now know most of them line by line.
    I've noticed they're doing fewer and fewer movies and tv series that would make my top favourites as the years go by (I'm not sure if they're duller than they used to be, of if my taste just doesen't click with the current times), so I'm stuck re-watching pretty much the same stuff over and over.
    And I laugh and I cry every time.

The color purple was beautiful.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Lost was my favorite series of all time and I have yet to try and re-watch it. How can I enjoy something when I know exactly what happens and how it ends? I just can't get into it enough to watch 6 seasons again. No way. That is true for almost all shows. I can, however, rewatch sitcoms. Especially The Golden Girls. They don't rely on a plot that goes in a certain order so I can pick any episode and enjoy it for what it is. No need to commit myself for weeks on end to see the entire series. 30 minutes will do.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Catch Me if You Can, and Munich. Lincoln remains on the "must see (haven't seen)" list.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    My "other" choice is AI. But there are a lot of big Spielberg films I haven't seen (like Munich, Lincoln, Amistad). I did really like Minority Report and even War of the Worlds, but I forgot they were Spielberg films.

Raiders of the Lost Ark FTW though!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Empire of the Sun
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    Empire of the Sun
    Smarmy, manipulative and phony. An awful movie.

Schindler's List is the only good movie Spielberg ever made, the only one he truly made from his heart.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    meh, schindlers list is very reverent and sterile, it's ok
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    One movie that everyone loves and that I hated - E.T.

Yeah, I know.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I think I liked ET when I was a kid but it doesnt hold up for me now

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Other: "The Color Purple" is one of my favorite movies of all time. And I'm not usually into dramas.

vCash
    Jurassic Park! I saw it at an impressionable age, and spent many a recess playing dinosaurs after that (I was always a velociraptor)).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Lost was my favorite series of all time and I have yet to try and re-watch it. How can I enjoy something when I know exactly what happens and how it ends? I just can't get into it enough to watch 6 seasons again. No way. That is true for almost all shows. I can, however, rewatch sitcoms. Especially The Golden Girls. They don't rely on a plot that goes in a certain order so I can pick any episode and enjoy it for what it is. No need to commit myself for weeks on end to see the entire series. 30 minutes will do.
    Boy, we're different. Saying you can't commit to a movie or a tv serie just because you know how things are going to be, for me, it's like never listening to Strauss again because you know the tunes. Plus, I don't like sitcoms, with the exception of the Cosby Show. And I so much didn't appreciate Lost, I couldn't even watch the entire season two, nor I bothered to check how they wrapped it up.

Now I'm curious about our figure skating taste: I'llpay closer attention to see if we meet there

-- I apologize, I'll say no more on this and I'll disturb no more this thread with OT notes.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I think I liked ET when I was a kid but it doesnt hold up for me now
    I didn't like very much ET as a kid, because I never enjoyed science fiction. I thought I might enjoy the Bluray, at least from the more human angle of the movie. I appreciated it more than I did as a kid, and I kept a copy, but it doesn't hold up much for me either. Still best Berrymore's performance I've seen though.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Schindler's List
    Jaws
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Munich

I realize this is primarily about directing (though the actual poll says "directed/produced) -- and in that capacity I have to also give major props for Spielberg being (along with Tom Hanks) the Executive Producer for Band of Brothers, which is IMO the best Television Miniseries ever made.

Jaws scared the bejeezus out of me when I saw it to the point that I was terrified to take a bath for the next few nights as I was convinced a great white shark was going to come out of the spigot (hey, I was what, 7 years old when it came out? )

vCash
    Only 5?! I have loved most of Speilberg's movies.

vCash
    I loved Empire of the Sun, and was meh, about Schindler's List. Jurassic Park was my favourite of his, followed by Raiders and Saving Private Ryan. Jurassic Park I saw on an IMAX screen and I was in the front row and seeing those dinosaurs come to life was amazing. And yeah, ET was great at the time, but now it has lost its charm.

ITA about Band of Brothers. I still watch it whenever they show it on tv.

vCash
    Schindler's List has to top my list. Not only did I think it was an amazing movie...........I was shocked that someone actually made it. I will always remember sitting in a stunningly silent theater at the end of the movie until each credit had run and the screen was blank.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Minority Report is my favorite: I felt like I was watching a bit of Hitchcock, a political thriller and Spielberg's gifts with science fiction all rolled into one excellent film. (imho)

vCash
    Schindler's List
    This film leaves an impact on its viewers long after they have watched it.
    Spielberg put a lot of research in it. His choice of using Israeli actors to play most of the Jews created the needed authenticity.
    He also was very sensitive of how this film was accepted by the Israeli audience. When he was told that the song (Jerusalem of Gold) during the liberation (when the Red Army enters the concentration camp) does not belong to Holocaust but to The Six Days War, he changed it. So in Israel the viewers heard Eli Eli (My G-D, My G-D).
    The film has also helped some Holocaust survivors to talk more about what they went through.
    And it is always a pleasure to listen to Itzhak Perlman playing the violin in William's amazing music score.

Munich
    This film was more of children's adventure story IMO. It had too many fictional facts that the connection between them and reality is purely coincidental, but still it was an interesting film to watch.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Great adventure movie!

Jurassic Park
    Amazing fiction movie!

Whenever I watch that movie it always makes me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast