Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Kitty litter is also a good alternative to rock salt. It gives traction and melts ice. We discover that years ago during a surprise storm that left a layer of ice on the sidewalk.

I like occasional snow but I don't like being housebound for weeks. The biggest problem with repeated storms is where to put the snow after you have shoveled it or the snow plow burying your car after you have dug it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Kitty litter is also a good alternative to rock salt. It gives traction and melts ice. We discover that years ago during a surprise storm that left a layer of ice on the sidewalk.
    Maybe, but watch out. As it gets damp, the litter melts into pasty clay which you will track into the house and have a devil of a time removing from the floors and from your shoes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Maybe, but watch out. As it gets damp, the litter melts into pasty clay which you will track into the house and have a devil of a time removing from the floors and from your shoes.
    Tou sound like my sister. I've gotten in the habit of taking off my shoes at the front door. It keeps the carpets much cleaner in any weather. Besides if rock salt can tear up your pavement imagine what it can do to your carpet!

I keep sand in the trunk of the car. It comes in handy if you get stuck in an icy patch. In the days of rear wheel drive the added weight gave you traction as well.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Pet safe ice melt is good. We use Safe Paw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12