Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    Joannie's was 3T/1Lo/3S ( when it was scored as a ' series' valued at 80% with a 1/2 loop connection and did not receive full points as a combination.) both before and after the combination rule change.
    I don't think she ever did the jump combo with a 3F.
    That's what I thought too.

Tara Lipinski and Maria Butyrskaya also did 3T-half loop-3S in 6.0 competitions. There might have been one or two other ladies I can't think of right now.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Congrats to Liza for being the queen of all the jumping beans tonight thanks to her fighting spirit
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Yep, her first title! Apparently they made the decision for her to skate in the 11th hour and it paid off!
    That, or Mishin was very clever to announce the possible withdrawal because now we're saying "what a gutsy performance!" instead of "oh she couldn't go clean in the LP after leading the SP."

I love Liza and I do believe she was sick, so just sayin, if he planned it that way it was really smart...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    That's what I thought too.

Tara Lipinski and Maria Butyrskaya also did 3T-half loop-3S in 6.0 competitions. There might have been one or two other ladies I can't think of right now.
    Surya Bonaly?

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    That, or Mishin was very clever to announce the possible withdrawal because now we're saying "what a gutsy performance!" instead of "oh she couldn't go clean in the LP after leading the SP."

I love Liza and I do believe she was sick, so just sayin, if he planned it that way it was really smart...
    She really was sick. I've seen the interview after her skate. She barely spoke because she had to sneeze all the time.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Rochette did do triple flip triple salchow sequence in the 2004-2005 season, but it wasn't with the 1/2 loop between them, so it wouldn't be scored 3F+1L+3S.

Protocols from 2004 TEB: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

Video 2005 Canadians: http://youtu.be/17uTwCAUtrw at the 2:30 mark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Actually, not only first ten ladies. I think it was like 16 out of 18 competitors or something similar to that. The majority of the skaters had triple-triple in the SP, and I am not talking about 3T-3T; most of them had much harder combinations than that. It was the same last year though.
    Yes! Lots of 3lz-3t and 3f-1/2lo-3s

vCash
    Gerli Liinamae from Estonia has been doing 3F-half loop-3s on the JGP. Not well though.

I remember there was another thread on young jumpers and there was a nine- or ten-year-old Russian who had 3F, 3T and 3S if I remember. She was impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Oblasova was such a talent!!!! She should have gone to worlds in 2004 oh well, she did go to Europeans at least
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What happened to her?
    I remember quite a bit of discussion that as she got older and skating got harder with puberty she also clearly became more interested in parties and boys and (at least became) not a particularly a hard worker. Nothing verified, just what I remember folks chatting about at Euros...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I applaud the Russian ladies! I know it isn't all about jumping but it is nice to see skaters working their way up the ranks while doing the technical content worthy of the time. In my opinion, far too many skaters get away with content that is a joke because they have such great skating skills. Why would anyone continue working on jumps if they could focus on edges, speed, etc and win competitions with 3loops and 3salchows? Skating skills should be rewarded but not to the point of undermining technical content with the jumps. This is why no one will stand even a remote chance against Yu Na Kim if she completes this comeback because she gets the huge PCS and does the jumps.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    It seems I'm desensitized to all the amazing stats being churned out, such are the levels of technical ability these days. Somehow it took me a day to realise that every lady in the top 10 at Russian nats performed a 3/3 as their combo. That is just incredible, particularly for a national championships.

I remember 2004 worlds blowing my mind a little when Ando, Kostner, Arakawa all landed 3/3's but this is obviously a whole other story!

I'm fairly sure Radionova's 3 flip half loop 3 salchow is also a first for ladies??

Please wait, Pothsie-boy...are you saying that Radionova did that combo in the SP at Russian Nats? I don't think 3-jump-combos are allowed in a short program...

vCash
    I agree. A Olympic champion should not be someone who waters down their jumps because they can't focus on both the jumps and work on there skating skills at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Somehow it took me a day to realise that every lady in the top 10 at Russian nats performed a 3/3 as their combo. That is just incredible, particularly for a national championships.
    I looked into protocols and counted it for you. Out of 18 ladies 15 had triple-triple in the SP.

Out of those 15 there was:
    Six ladies with 3Lz-3T,
    one lady with 3Lz-3Lo
    two ladies with 3F-3T
    six ladies with 3T-3T

Out of those 3 that did not have 3-3, one of them usually has 3T-3T but because she had fall, she did not complete the combination but she had 3T-3T in the FS. So only two ladies did not have 3-3 during Russian nationals.

vCash
    It's wonderful - after so many years of being stuck in the triple lutz-double toe or triple flip-double toe rut, we're finally seeing some technical progress. I'm so glad, and I hope loop combos get called realistically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    poor Makarova, her time is up
    It isn't really. She will probably have at least one Grand Prix assignment next year and maybe two.

Considering that she has only ever won one medal at Russian Nationals but has nevertheless competed at Worlds three times, Europeans three times, the Winter Olympic Games, and six Grand Prix events, she has had quite a time of it already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It isn't really. She will probably have at least one Grand Prix assignment next year and maybe two.

Considering that she has only ever won one medal at Russian Nationals but has nevertheless competed at Worlds three times, Europeans three times, the Winter Olympic Games, and six Grand Prix events, she has had quite a time of it already.
    Quite frankly she was lucky to compete at Worlds three times. With the younger girls ineligible until this season she didn't have much competition to get to Worlds. It would have been different if she had to face tougher competition in the US or Japan.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For Makarova not to skate Euros and Worlds, it might be close: she's already No. 25 on the SB list, and she might be passed by a few more skaters after Euros, 4C's, Jr. and Sr. Worlds and WTT. She's 11th on the WS list, but will drop almost 600 points from 2010-11 before factoring 2011-12 at 70%. Most of the skaters under her won't drop as many, since only the two highest in each column count, and, for many skaters, the score from two years ago is (or after championships, will be), is their lowest and isn't in the current calculation.

It may be tight for her to be guaranteed a spot, although it's likely she'd be given at least one anyway, although I wouldn't count on two in an Olympic year. I don't know if the Russian Fed would give her a host spot, and there will be a number of other Russian Ladies with the WS ranking to be guaranteed skating the SP in the last two groups at championships they might be pushing.

Leonova is currently No. 24 on the SB list, and, she, too, could be surpassed before the end of the season. She's so high on the WS list by such a high margin that even though she'll lose 25% before the 2011-12 factoring, she's so far ahead that while she might drop out of the Top 10, she won't be out of the Top 24. That's assuming she isn't named to the World team after Euros, where she could earn two guaranteed spots.

Maybe they'll give one or both of them a berth at World Team Trophy to get higher PB's, if they don't end up at Euros or Worlds.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12