Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Historic 1st at Russian Nats Ladiez SP

It seems I'm desensitized to all the amazing stats being churned out, such are the levels of technical ability these days. Somehow it took me a day to realise that every lady in the top 10 at Russian nats performed a 3/3 as their combo. That is just incredible, particularly for a national championships.

I remember 2004 worlds blowing my mind a little when Ando, Kostner, Arakawa all landed 3/3's but this is obviously a whole other story!

I'm fairly sure Radionova's 3 flip half loop 3 salchow is also a first for ladies??

The only combination left for ladies is any triple, half loop 3 flip!

One thing is for dead sure, Russian Ladies have come a long way since 2008 when Ksenia DORONINA and Petushkova, Ievleva and Naidenova were the best of the best! WHo? Exactly! That is an AMAZING turn around.

vCash
    miss your posts, poths!!

yeah, the days of doronina (horrible posture!), petushkova (truck driver skating!), ievleva (couldnt land anything more difficult than a salchow, if I remember correctly) ... i forgot who naidenova is already ... oh well, they all tried their best!

the new generation is exciting indeed. do you have a favourite? (I don't count Leonova/Makarova as the new generation ... poor Makarova, her time is up ) I like Korobeynikova the best due to her elegance ... Biryukova ain't that bad either (and she's pretty).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post

I'm fairly sure Radionova's 3 flip half loop 3 salchow is also a first for ladies??
    It is a new combo this year, I believe, but Gracie Gold has had it on her planned elements all season.She did it at Salt Lake but did a solo flip at both GP's.

Nice to see the ladies are pushing the technical.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tuktamysheva's change of combo in the SP was motivated by Yu-Na Kim's 3Lu/3T in her SP.

vCash
    Didn't Kristina Oblasova do that at Junior Worlds, probably in 2001 when she won? Not on youtube, so I can't check right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Didn't Kristina Oblasova do that at Junior Worlds, probably in 2001 when she won? Not on youtube, so I can't check right now.
    Yes, she did the combo a few times in her career.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    It is a new combo this year, I believe, but Gracie Gold has had it on her planned elements all season.She did it at Salt Lake but did a solo flip at both GP's.

Nice to see the ladies are pushing the technical.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tuktamysheva's change of combo in the SP was motivated by Yu-Na Kim's 3Lu/3T in her SP.
    Is it possible to have a thread about Russian skaters without the obligatory "Gracie Gold" mention?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Thanks for your info, Sedge! ETA: I just checked the Salt Lake Sr. B protocol and Gold received 10 points (10.00 BV) for her 3F(e)+1Lo(half loop)+3S combo in her FS.

Re-posting useful age info from the Russian Nationals Ladies SP thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Sahanovich, Ogoreltseva, Kayumova & Yuschenko - age eligible for juniors in 2013/2014; senior eligible in 2015/2016
    Radionova, Li, Fedoseeva & Maximova - age eligible for juniors in 2012/2013; senior eligible in 2014/2015
    Pogorilaya, Stavitskaia & Gerasimova - age eligible for juniors in 2011/2012; senior eligible in 2013/2014

All others (Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Makarova, Leonova, Biryukova, Korobeinikova & Gosviani) are senior eligible right now.

Sahanovich (b. February 9, 2000) is the youngest here; Leonova (b. November 23, 1990) is the oldest.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-27-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oblasova was such a talent!!!! She should have gone to worlds in 2004 oh well, she did go to Europeans at least

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Is it possible to have a thread about Russian skaters without the obligatory "Gracie Gold" mention?
    If you mention a combo as a "first" but another skater has done it, then it is appropriate to mention that skater, whoever she is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    There are actually a number of ladies doing 3lz-3t as their combo for the SP; unfortunately, most of them are juniors. Liza T regularly did the 3lz-3t combo for the past two seasons but took it out b/c she started going through a growth spurt/weight change. She brought it back at the GPF and it appears to be working again. I'm so sad she had to withdraw here. I wonder if they'll grant her a bye to worlds. It's obvious she's hitting her stride and if she's sick and not injured she'll be much better by the time worlds rolls around.

vCash
    There's still a chance that Tuktamysheva (who withdrew from today's FS reportedly due to illness & doctor's orders) could be named to the team for Euros. According to Eislauffan, the third spot(s) are decided by recommendation of a "coaches' council" and the team will be announced on Friday.

ETA: Liza Tuktamysheva may skate the FS after all!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    There are actually a number of ladies doing 3lz-3t as their combo for the SP; unfortunately, most of them are juniors. Liza T regularly did the 3lz-3t combo for the past two seasons but took it out b/c she started going through a growth spurt/weight change. She brought it back at the GPF and it appears to be working again. I'm so sad she had to withdraw here. I wonder if they'll grant her a bye to worlds. It's obvious she's hitting her stride and if she's sick and not injured she'll be much better by the time worlds rolls around.
    I can't see how they would leave Liza off the World team because there is sure as heck isn't three better skaters in Russia right now. Plus she needs the experience of having at least one Worlds appearance under her belt before Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I can't see how they would leave Liza off the World team because there is sure as heck isn't three better skaters in Russia right now. Plus she needs the experience of having at least one Worlds appearance under her belt before Sochi.
    Liza won the nationals, so she is going to the Europeans after all.

vCash
    Yep, her first title! Apparently they made the decision for her to skate in the 11th hour and it paid off!

vCash
    It seems I'm desensitized to all the amazing stats being churned out, such are the levels of technical ability these days. Somehow it took me a day to realise that every lady in the top 10 at Russian nats performed a 3/3 as their combo. That is just incredible, particularly for a national championships.
    Actually, not only first ten ladies. I think it was like 16 out of 18 competitors or something similar to that. The majority of the skaters had triple-triple in the SP, and I am not talking about 3T-3T; most of them had much harder combinations than that. It was the same last year though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Oblasova was such a talent!!!! She should have gone to worlds in 2004 oh well, she did go to Europeans at least
    What happened to her?

vCash
    ^
    didnt she switched to Pairs ???

and Congrats to Liza Tuk, finally
    another wonder baby next JGP ? Seraphima placed 4th
    Leonova at 7th and Makarova 8th terrible !!!!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Actually, not only first ten ladies. I think it was like 16 out of 18 competitors or something similar to that. The majority of the skaters had triple-triple in the SP, and I am not talking about 3T-3T; most of them had much harder combinations than that. It was the same last year though.
    Based on Mishin's assessment of Russian ladies in figure skating, I'm thinking there must a new labor shortage for female railroad construction workers in Siberia.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 12-27-2012 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    If you mention a combo as a "first" but another skater has done it, then it is appropriate to mention that skater, whoever she is.
    Joannie Rochette

vCash
    Joannie's was 3T/1Lo/3S ( when it was scored as a ' series' valued at 80% with a 1/2 loop connection and did not receive full points as a combination.) both before and after the combination rule change.
    I don't think she ever did the jump combo with a 3F.
    It allowed her to do 7 triples without a 3/3 in the FP ( she did not do 2A/3T)
    Last edited by Sedge; 12-27-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Corrected bracket placement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast