Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

My laptop has shat itself

It is not starting up properly. I can do it in safe mode by pushing the F8 button the moment I start up, but it really is having major problems. It was okay when I started it early this morning and then when I started it up about 6 hours later is started being naughty.

I have tried to do the System Restore, the Repair, check memory, etc but it really isn't working very well. And the safe mode at the moment is very slow.

I have my very slow desktop that I can use but it is not the best option.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Got your data backed up? All your programs able to be reinstalled?

A total format and re-install might be needed. Or it might be doing what mine did; it fritzed the hard drive, which had to be replaced.

vCash
    Yeah. I had to have my hard drive replaced too. It cost $134 US parts and labor. It was a high end laptop so it was worth it. I would try to reinstall your program(s) first, if that doesn't work try reinstalling the operating system. If that doesn't work, you can decide if it is with repairing.

I think mine got overheated.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 12-27-2012 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    Oh dear that all sounds really depressing. I have contacted some computer repair numbers from Google (currently on the old slow desktop) so hopefully someone will get back to me. Bit worried about that because it is the holiday break and you just don't know who is working at the moment. I suppose I at least have something I can use, as frustrating as it is.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Oh dear that all sounds really depressing. I have contacted some computer repair numbers from Google (currently on the old slow desktop) so hopefully someone will get back to me. Bit worried about that because it is the holiday break and you just don't know who is working at the moment. I suppose I at least have something I can use, as frustrating as it is.
    If your data is backed up, you can attempt a format and reinstall by yourself.

vCash
    Wish I were there in person AW cause I'd be delighted to help you out. It sounds like your drive is about to die so at the very least I would get all your data backed up somewhere. Couple ways you could go for backing up
    1) back up the data & user settings to CD/DVD/USB memory stick (got a great buy on 16GB sticks, just $8 CAN)
    2) copy data and user settings to a second hard disk -- external or internal
    3) copy everything from one hard disk to another using an imaging program -- I use Ghost
    I wish you luck!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Yuk! Hate that stuff. One of my desktops died............just up and died. Tacos as we say. Hope you can get yours going....or at least your data saved. There should be some fabulous deals this week on laptops though.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Thanks everyone for the advice (and good luck wishes). I have found a guy who can come and pick it up tomorrow and will have a look at it. He said it sounds like an operating system and software problem so hopefully it can be fixed up. I do save most of my documents, photos, skating admin stuff on an external hard drive already because of something like this. My main concern is probably iTunes (just the songs I have downloaded which most are on my mp3 player) and my Outlook (for my email addresses and also the emails). The rest I am not too concerned about because you can always replace them.

On the other hand the sales are on at the moment so if I did have to replace it it won't be so bad

Professordeb - I will have a look at those options too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    My main concern is probably iTunes (just the songs I have downloaded which most are on my mp3 player)

Glad you have someone coming to look at it. When I had to reset mine to factory settings last year, I was able to redownload everything I had from iTunes, when you sign in to iTunes look for the link that says purchased, and it should let you redownload, if you need to.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Oh well what a pity. My laptop couldn't be saved and will need a full reboot which would have cost a bit. New laptop now purchased . Do I seem sad?

vCash
    Congratulations on the addition to your family! Old Laptop RIP!

vCash
    Congrats on the new laptop!
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Oh that is such sad news. What did you get?

vCash
    I got a HP with 4gb and I5 intel core. It is shiny and red with a very nice keyboard and much thinner and lighter than the old one. Actually spent a bit of money on it because I will get value for money out of it.

vCash
    Glad you were able to get a new laptop that you liked. How old was the one that died?I may need one myself soon. Is it me or are these computers just not lasting like they used to?

vCash
    The other laptop was an Lenovo and it only lasted two years. However it was actually the operating system that was the problem, not so much the laptop itself. But to get it fixed was going to cost as much as getting a new laptop because it would have been a total overhaul.

I don't think anything is built to last these days and they only ever give 12 months warranty. Thus a big business in extended warranties. Just cheaper to buy a new one sometimes though.

vCash
    Wonderful machine. Just bought one as a group gift for a friend. Enjoy!

vCash
    I just had to get a new laptop yesterday--the hard drive was going on the other one. So now I'm dealing with Windows 8. So far, I'm dealing.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    Glad you were able to get a new laptop that you liked. How old was the one that died?I may need one myself soon. Is it me or are these computers just not lasting like they used to?
    My dad has been using computers since before I was born. He was a PC-only guy, only recently made the switch to Mac. He doesn't think PC companies make durable laptops anymore - the materials are cheap and crappy. He prefers Mac for the materials. I mean, you pay a lot for it, but I recently gave up a 2008 Macbook Pro because I needed a faster computer. It still worked fine, and technically I could have added RAM myself if Alf wasn't going to buy a new Macbook Pro for business only (and give me his old one). In fact I'm going to donate it to my school, since they're still working with the 2008 model in the introductory graphic design class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    I just had to get a new laptop yesterday--the hard drive was going on the other one. So now I'm dealing with Windows 8. So far, I'm dealing.
    I know what you mean. I freaked out when I couldn't easily find the Shut Down link. My friend's kid was offering all suggestions such as do CNTL-ALT-DEL or just switch it off. I was telling him off saying I should have to do that to a new computer. Finally found it and breathed easier.

I am going to get some more memory for my old desktop so I can have that a reliable second computer. However being an hold model the memory is a bit more difficult to come by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast