Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story!
    The story was written in the late 1800s, and it was the convention of the time to have that happen to move the story along. I remember studying a play from that same time period. The prof said, "all you need to understand is if this does not happen, the play ends right here and now, and it's too soon for that"
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    The story was written in the late 1800s, and it was the convention of the time to have that happen to move the story along. I remember studying a play from that same time period. The prof said, "all you need to understand is if this does not happen, the play ends right here and now, and it's too soon for that"
    That happens a lot in current times too The Cosette/Marius love story is my least favourite part of Les Mis (book or musical), but it leads to some of the most selfless actions from Valjean and Eponine (and a great song from Eponine), so I guess I can live with it.

I've been dying to see the movie, but have been sick over the past few days and assumed the other movie-goers would rather hear the actors than my coughing fits. But the coughing seems to have died down, so I bought two tickets for tomorrow's matinee. Can't wait to see it!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    I also loved The King's Speech. Guess this just shows that directing a musical is a lot different to directing a 'regular' film.

I also have a lot of problems with the love at first sight thing between Cosette and Marius - they see each other across the street and are instantly deeply in love - but that's probably just because I'm naturally cynical. The rest of it I can easily fill in the back story or motivations for the gaps, but that part stretches the imagination to breaking point. But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story!
    First of all, this is fiction, and it's not a documentary based on a historical person, so you can't put the narrow limits of your own experience, or of a real life story of real characters.

Second, this was in another time, another place from where you are,

Third, even now occasionally there are people that have been married say that they fell in love at first sight. Even if I did not know of them, I am perfectly willing to accept that these two fell in love in this story.

There is plenty to criticize the movie for, but this is not one of them.

Regardless of the occasional boredom, I still enjoyed the movie as a whole. I am about to order from amazon.com, Victor Hugo's book; I have read rave reviews of it.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am about to order from amazon.com, Victor Hugo's book; I have read rave reviews of it.
    Make sure to get the unabridged version. Curiously, I could not get through the abridged version but I've read the unabridged twice. (there's maybe 1 chapter I skip)

vCash
    LM is not a film that I really liked, but I'm glad to see it's doing good business. It means that there will be future movie musicals coming down the pipe line in Hollywood. The film has made about $67 millions so far in North America. I thought the audience would be mostly women and theater geeks for opening days and then the level would drop off significantly, but it didn't look like that happened. Men are going to see this film also (probably dragged by their gf, wives, though, LOL).

You can catch the amazing singing for the Les Miserables 25th anniversary concert on utube. (The only miscast in the concert was Nick Jonas. Ugh)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    Make sure to get the unabridged version. Curiously, I could not get through the abridged version but I've read the unabridged twice. (there's maybe 1 chapter I skip)
    But if you do, be prepared for loooooong digressions.

(Even though I hate abridgments as a rule, I generally recommend the abridged version of this book!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You can catch the amazing singing for the Les Miserables 25th anniversary concert on utube. (The only miscast in the concert was Nick Jonas. Ugh)
    I saw this for sale on amazon.com. The reviews echo what you just wrote. Someone wrote that the 10th anniversary concert is better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

(Even though I hate abridgments as a rule, I generally recommend the abridged version of this book!)
    LOL. Just goes to show how different people are. I think I am the 'abridged version' type.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    That happens a lot in current times too The Cosette/Marius love story is my least favourite part of Les Mis (book or musical),!
    me too, big cosette is insipid. i think that is why i dont care that amanda seyfried cant sing that well. it's somehow suitable that cosette would be boring at that too.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

Heh, looooong digressions is right. The problem I have with the abridged version is that it cuts out some of my favourite (and IMO crucial) parts, or at least the specific abridged version I read did. So I go for the full version, but make my own cuts. The first 60 or so pages on how awesome the bishop is can basically be summed up in one sentence - the bishop is a truly good man. The 70-odd page section on Waterloo has basically one crucial paragraph at the very end but can otherwise be skipped. I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the two that stick out in my mind.

Has anyone read Jean Valjean? I've never read it, but a lot of people I know had to read it in school, around grade 7 or 8. From what I can gather, it's an abridged young adult version of Les Mis. I'm a little jealous that my class never had to read it in school...one of my brothers did, so I guess he lucked out with a different teacher than I had. It's always kind of amusing when I come across someone who has barely even heard of Les Mis, but after a few plot points are mentioned, they say "Oh, that's Jean Valjean!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    me too, big cosette is insipid.
    Good point on the differentiation between big Cosette and little Cosette...I do love little Cosette and "Castle on a Cloud" is my second favourite song in the musical, after "On My Own". And the one I sing more often because "On My Own" is not in my vocal range

vCash
    Cosette is kind of an hair head in the book.

On another note...I really LOVED the kid who played Gavroche in the movie. it is the first interpretation of the character (in the musical) that did not remind me of The Artful Dodger .

vCash
    Unpopular opinion here: I think a lot of the Tom Hooper sniping has to do with a lot of residual sour grapes for The King's Speech winning every Oscar in sight.

Anyway, I personally loved it, but then again I loved the musical. I will say that the weaknesses of the original show are only magnified in the movie (the length, the earnestness, the plot holes, the fact that Marius is still a gigantic weenie ) so I can understand those criticisms.

That being said, I thought the acting was amazing and most of the cast was up to the task vocally (Crowe wasn't bad, but anyone expecting a powerhouse Javert performance will be disappointed).
    Last edited by martian_girl; 12-31-2012 at 10:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    Unpopular opinion here: I think a lot of the Tom Hooper sniping has to do with a lot of residual sour grapes for The King's Speech winning every Oscar in sight.

Anyway, I personally loved it, but then again I loved the musical. I will say that the weaknesses of the original show are only magnified in the movie (the length, the earnestness, the plot holes, the fact that Marius is still a gigantic weenie ) so I can understand those criticisms.

That being said, I thought the acting was amazing and most of the cast was up to the task vocally (Crowe wasn't bad, but anyone expecting a powerhouse Javert performance will be disappointed).
    I don't have any sour grapes about TKS. It did not win ALL the Oscars (Helena B-C did not win the supporting actress Oscar). I liked the movie very much. I thought the Social Network was slightly better, but I was OK with the Kings speech winning Best pic, Best actor, Best director.

I did not think Hooper was bad, but he could have done a better job. I still enjoyed Les Mis, with its imperfections. The only acting job I did not like belonged to Amanda S. It wasn't just her singing, it was the whole thing, because everyone else was so much better. Even Russell Crowe was not as terrible as some posters seem to think. May be they have seen better acting playing that character and I have not. I loved the story, and I wondered what it would be like without the singing. It's powerful drama, with the good and bad qualities of human beings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't have any sour grapes about TKS. It did not win ALL the Oscars (Helena B-C did not win the supporting actress Oscar). I liked the movie very much. I thought the Social Network was slightly better, but I was OK with the Kings speech winning Best pic, Best actor, Best director.

I did not think Hooper was bad, but he could have done a better job. I still enjoyed Les Mis, with its imperfections. The only acting job I did not like belonged to Amanda S. It wasn't just her singing, it was the whole thing, because everyone else was so much better. Even Russell Crowe was not as terrible as some posters seem to think. May be they have seen better acting playing that character and I have not. I loved the story, and I wondered what it would be like without the singing. It's powerful drama, with the good and bad qualities of human beings.
    Watch this guy as Javart (Philip Quast)-then you will realize how the part is supposed to be played, and how bad Russell Crow sucks LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mSoBiSANc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFr6nk4ry4Y

Then watch Russell Crowe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qGqdaNIJM
    Last edited by UGG; 01-01-2013 at 12:09 AM.

vCash
    Phillip Quast has got to be the very best Javert ever, and this version of the Confrontation is simply perfection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    I disagree with that. Although I didn't care for The King's Speech, I was looking forward to Les Miserables as I want to see the musical genre be successful in Hollywood. I think criticizing the heavy reliance on close-ups and fish-eye lenses and in essence filming most of the musical numbers the same way which makes for a repetitive experience, the tendency to demand pity from the audience for characters by hammering their sufferings into the audience's head, and the lack of character development for those who appear in the second part of the film are valid criticisms. Many might disagree for sure, but I don't think people who don't like the film do so simply because they are bitter about The King's Speech winning Best Picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Phillip Quast has got to be the very best Javert ever, and this version of the Confrontation is simply perfection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA
    He just SOUNDS like Javart should sound.

I also really enjoy Terrance Mann on the Original Broadway Recording but have never found anything on youtube other than a One Day More performance at the Tonys. I would like to see a live performance of him. His Javart sounds pretty good too.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    You all will love this: best wedding entertainment ever. Of course it helps to have friends who can sing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziBJ...are_video_user
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I sang Castle On a Cloud for my first vocal performance in school. I was so shy at the time so it was the perfect song to sing. Les Miserable was something we sang in choir when I was in grade 9. We sang Phantom in grade 10.

I have a pretty broad vocal range. Not sure how many octaves but I can sing Cher/ Heart right up to Sarah Brightman. I remember in vocal warm ups I would still be singing in the higher range and everyone else was done. 'On My Own', 'Pie Jesu', 'Phantom of The Opera' (the song) are all within my ability and my favourite songs to sing even to this day.

I am going to see the movie this weekend and realy looking forward to it. Javert and Eponine are my favourite characters in the show... On My Own, Confrontation and Stars are my fave songs.

As for the anniversary specials for Les Miz... the 10th anniversary is by far the better version for sure. Ramon and Samantha made the 25th anniversary for me though. They are amazing singers.

Has anyone seen the 2000 version of Les Miz? Here is a link to part one of the miniseries and I am going to watch it on a night shift at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBQtqxFEvI
    Last edited by Twilight1; 01-01-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast