Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    I really loved the movie. I especially liked that it was different enough from the stage show so that it could be judged on its own merits and not be a direct comparison.

The casting wasn't perfect, but it seldom is and I felt it was good enough to support the material. The voices were never going to be the highest quality you get on Broadway so I didn't have any expectations in that regard. As long as the characters could draw me in, I was good. My biggest disappointment was Russell Crowe's Javert. I could live with his voice, but I didn't feel he had a strong enough and rigid enough presence for my idea of Javert.

When they first announced the movie, I thought they'd surely mess it up and I did not have many expectations. So I was quite pleased with how it ended up.

Planning to see it again next week!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I directed the School Version of Les Mis last summer and we had the last Eponine from Broadway (Diana Kaarina) come and do a workshop and she told us all sorts of stories including "why Eponine instead of the bishop"! She was really wonderful and it was an amazing experience for the kids!
    Well it actually makes sense because it does seem random that Eponine's ghost is there when Valjean dies as she really had no ties to him other than hating on his daughter.

I am going Saturday I cannot wait!!! I have ZERO expectations for Russell Crowe and am expecting the worst out of him. Javart is my favorite character-his final scene for me is the most emotional part in the musical so this just sucks for me.

vCash
    Thank you for the reviews! I'm still excited to watch it even with some negative reviews online. I am a bit nervous because I've seen it twice at the Orpheum and loved it so I am curious about just how different the movie version is.

vCash
    ^^ did you see the SF play a few months ago? That production was OUTSTANDING. I don't think, after seeing that, I want to diminish the experience with seeing the movie. The male voices were so totally amazing.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Yes, I saw that production and enjoyed it so much! I wish I could've gone again. It was a completely different experience from the first time I saw it in the early 1990's (it was a high school requirement to watch). I've been spoiled by the Orpheum productions so I'm afraid the movie will disappoint but I have to see it. It just like how I have to watch and read everything Marie Antoinette no matter how awful reviews are, lol.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Went today and LOVED it. This from someone who's seen it 6 times in London and on Broadway and once more in Toronto. However, for those who haven't seen it yet, I might suggest going in NOT expecting the stage musical and then you might enjoy it more. Russell Crowe is not good but not cringeworthy IMO. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and especially Eddie Redmayne were standouts for me. One word of caution .. not only have they changed the order of songs but they've shortened quite a few .. to make room for extra scenes that explain the plot somewhat (I guess). A little contrived maybe for those of us who are very familiar with the musical, but helped make sense of the story to the person I went with (who'd never seen Les Mis).

vCash
    I just indulged in a long gushing session over at LiveJournal. In lieu of writing all the same things all over again, I'll put the link here. Short version: I adored it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Saw it and enjoyed some of it, but I thought the direction was terrible. Way too many close-ups in my opinion. There were some nice performances and sequences, but I think it could have been better with another director.

vCash
    I kept expecting Helena Bonham Carter to pull out a wand and shout, "Avada Kedavra.". She looked so much like Belatrix Lestrange when she first appeared on the screen.

vCash
    From what I hear Jackman has a lot of fans in Korea but I wonder if this has anything to do with Yu-Na as well

RT @boxofficemojo: Les Mis' has already earned $23.4M overseas, with its biggest contribution coming from South Korea ($8.6M)

vCash
    Well I saw it with many critics two weeks ago, and most liked it.

Aaron Thveit (Enjorlas) was fantastic. Most know him from "Gossip Girl."

vCash
    I'll try to see it this weekend.

Did most of you cry during/after the IDAD number ? I'd love to see the epxressions on the male audience members after that number.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I didnt cry during IDAD. I felt like AH was too over the top in her scenery chewing. I get it, you want an oscar. I was relieved when she finally died. Her voice is technically good but I dont like it, sort of nasally or up in her head or something.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    but helped make sense of the story to the person I went with (who'd never seen Les Mis).
    I'm glad to hear they did this- I've been worried about taking someone who isn't really familar with the story, as movies often leave things out rather than add them in. (My husband went to see one of the Harry Potter movies with me without seeing the book and he had no clue what was going on. A lot of apparently vital plot information was stuff you were just supposed to know had happened.)

Can't wait to see this! Saturday

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    based on the people i know in real life who have seen it, the ones who never saw the play seem to like it more. they have nothing to compare it to and arent quietly wishing ruthie henshall would suddenly appear and take over as fantine.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I didnt cry during IDAD. I felt like AH was too over the top in her scenery chewing. I get it, you want an oscar. I was relieved when she finally died. Her voice is technically good but I dont like it, sort of nasally or up in her head or something.
    I cried. My friend said, "She's looking for that Oscar!". lol
    My advice is to go in with a clear mind. Don't expect anything and enjoy the ride.

vCash
    I agree. I think AH did very well overall, but IDAD seemed really self-aware to me, like "LOOK EVERYONE!! I AM SUFFERING!!!! GIVE ME AN OSCAR!!!!!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I just indulged in a long gushing session over at LiveJournal. In lieu of writing all the same things all over again, I'll put the link here. Short version: I adored it.
    I really enjoyed reading!!! I remember the little insert that said "In 1992 She Will Be Going to Cinema"

That was I think in 1990 when I saw Les Miz in Washington DC. I remember being so excited LOL. I wonder what ever happened with that.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I'd read that Hathaway lost 25 lbs for the role. I was wondering from where though. She's thin already!

I've never seen anything of Les Miz or read the book. I know very little about it. So I suppose I'm the perfect person to see this, but I have to say the reviews are scaring me away a bit.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    based on the people i know in real life who have seen it, the ones who never saw the play seem to like it more. they have nothing to compare it to and arent quietly wishing ruthie henshall would suddenly appear and take over as fantine.
    Interesting. I have friends who have seen the stage version way too many times and they all have been very pleased with the movie. Maybe we are all pessimists who expected them to totally mess it up.

Looking forward to seeing it again next week with my nieces

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast