Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Les Miserables - the movie

Hopefully it's okay to start a thread to discuss the Les Miserables movie, as it's coming out tomorrow in the U.S. I know a lot of us are eagerly anticipating its release.

Who's in? I can't wait!!!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I'm going to see it tomorrow! Already got tix - decided it was a good idea to advance order after getting turned away from Lincoln twice on T-giving weekend.

vCash
    It's at the theater at 10pm tonight! Sadly Santa has to be home so we'll try to see it tomorrow. A movie + Chinese food is our annual tradition.

vCash
    I. CAN'T. WAIT.

We are planning to see it tomorrow! Meet ya back here to talk about it!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    We have tickets for tomorrow!!

vCash
    Got tickets for tomorrow! Merry Christmas to me, yay!

vCash
    I can't wait to see it. Hubby's forcing me to wait it out a couple of weeks so the crowds will be less. WAH!!!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    At least you know you'll be seeing it soon myhoneyhoney, I have no idea even *if* I'll see it on the big screen. More than likely not.

I did check iTunes earlier and the Soundtrack's been unlocked to listen to the preview of the various tracks.

Colour me surprised...IMO Russell Crowe didn't sound as bad as feared. I actually really liked what I heard of his version of Stars.

vCash
    We have tickets for Thursday - been looking forward to this for months!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    At least you know you'll be seeing it soon myhoneyhoney, I have no idea even *if* I'll see it on the big screen. More than likely not.

I did check iTunes earlier and the Soundtrack's been unlocked to listen to the preview of the various tracks.

Colour me surprised...IMO Russell Crowe didn't sound as bad as feared. I actually really liked what I heard of his version of Stars.
    My soundtrack actually came in the mail today. not listening to it till after I see the movie, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I can't wait to see it. Hubby's forcing me to wait it out a couple of weeks so the crowds will be less. WAH!!!!
    This is a musical after all. I can't imagine it will have lines of people waiting to get in like the Twilight films, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    This is a musical after all. I can't imagine it will have lines of people waiting to get in like the Twilight films, for example.
    But a very, very beloved musical. I think we're going to see some VERY high box-office numbers.

My family and I got our tickets for the 26th -- in case I'm right about those high numbers, we didn't want to subject my claustrophobic mom to the crowds!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Going in a couple of hours. Can't wait!

vCash
    Going at 3:15 today! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

vCash
    Going tomorrow with some girlfriends! (Husband refuses to go) If you have a chance, manhn and The Accordian, I'd love to hear your reviews.

vCash
    Saw the film today and thought it was mostly ghastly - there were some lovely moments, especially when the show's most recognizable numbers were sung, but then I'm apt to get chills almost any time I hear those songs. The bulk of the film is an overblown mess, and I say this as someone who's seen the stage version both live and on DVD and loved it. Hathaway overacted to the point of hyperventilation in a blatant attempt at an Oscar bid; Crowe seemed a bit lost and was ultimately ineffectual in addition to lacking the requisite singing chops; Seyfried and Redmayne's characters were both such simps, although Redmayne shone in "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"; Jackman is serviceable and, at times, quite good, but he is hampered by how one-note Valjean is. None of the key relationships were fleshed out deeply enough as to make one care for them. Somehow, on stage this weakness isn't quite so evident but the problem translates quite clearly into film.

Oh, and I just remembered that the two BCs were slumming around doing the same old tired shtick and looked like they knew it.

The worst offender must be Tom Hooper, the director, who is so unimaginative that he only ever films the musical numbers in extreme close-up; the camerawork was also much too hyperactive and could have used a steadying hand.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    My biggest fear would be I'd start singing along w/the songs.

Actually, I *know* I'd more than likely do that.

vCash
    Thanks for the review, mrinalini. I'm excited to see the film, but unfortunately I've heard a lot of criticisms of the film the same as yours.

vCash
    Snowed out. Will have to wait until tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Saw the film today and thought it was mostly ghastly
    Wow, I saw it today, too, and came away with a much different impression. I agree, Russell Crowe was disappointing, but I thought the core group of actors did a pretty good job. I feared what Anne Hathaway would sound like singing "I Dreamed a Dream", but I was pleasantly surprised. Outside of Jean Valjean, it is really an ensemble production, so individual character development is naturally going to be limited. I thought the supporting characters did a fine job with their roles. The solo musical numbers - "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables", "Bring Him Home", "On My Own", and "I Dreamed a Dream" were the highlights, at least for me. I thought the sets and camerawork were good, for the most part - there were several scenes I thought could have used a more interesting background or camera angle.

I don't think the film will win Oscars for Best Picture or Director, but I would expect Hugh Jackman to at least be nominated (my guess is Daniel Day-Lewis will win Best Actor for Lincoln) and possibly Anne Hathaway. Yes, Helena Bonham-Carter and Sascha Baron Cohen were over the top, but that's the way the roles were on stage, so I wouldn't have expected any different on film.

And I'm glad I got advance tickets, b/c the show was sold out as of yesterday.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast