Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Let's see,if someone plays basketball well, in fact excellent, but it is just a game, why not get paid for it - like the are? We don't attach diseases, or place a stigma on it, we pay them big dollars to see them play.

    Just sayin' she is or is assumed to be really good at it - hence the high price of the 2 or 4 or however long session, why not obtain monetary benefit from it?
    You consider professional sports and prostitution analagous?

    Do you think the psychological effects are the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I agree.... how come the people who pay for the escort service are never mentioned?
    Eliot Spitzer
    Hugh Grant
    Jerry Springer
    David Vidder
    Ted Haggard
    Jimmy Swaggart

    I can do a much longer list if you need one, but that list right there is longer than the list of escorts I could name off the top of my head.

    Ugh, skatesindreams, that is some glitch you get.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,310
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yeah, but if she was working as a prostitute why wouldn't news agencies call it that? Call a spade a spade. I'm also very confused what they mean exactly by escort.
    The news agencies probably didn't call her a prostitute because prostitution is illegal in some jurisdictions. If she hasn't been convicted in court of being a prostitute, then there could be legal problems (like libel or slander) with calling her that.

    "Escort" agencies call themselves that for precisely that reason. So if they are busted they can claim that they aren't pimps or brothels or living off the avails of prostitution. All they are doing is making the bookings for men to have a nice night out with these women, and they certainly aren't telling the women they have to sleep with the clients, oh heavens no.

    Also, apparently there's a fair number of escort agency clients who like the name "escort" because it helps them convince themselves that they're not buying the services of a prostitute, or cheating on their significant others. Prostitute/hooker = streetwalker picked up for a quickie. Escort = lovely classy lady who is charming and who you spend some time with, in addition to the quickie.

    (This according to my students who are in law enforcement/corrections.)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You consider professional sports and prostitution analogous? Do you think the psychological effects are the same?
    No, I was just trying to point out that perhaps she really was good at what she did, like it, and good paid well for the activity. I am not saying that there aren't psychological effects or that someone is unaware of what those are. Just maybe she liked being an escort, we really don't know. But I still think that it should be a "so....what?" and a private matter.

  4. #24
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The news agencies probably didn't call her a prostitute because prostitution is illegal in some jurisdictions. If she hasn't been convicted in court of being a prostitute, then there could be legal problems (like libel or slander) with calling her that.
    The very first line of the first linked article is: Three-time Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton says she coped with depression and a troubled marriage by turning to a life of prostitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    No, I was just trying to point out that perhaps she really was good at what she did, like it, and good paid well for the activity. I am not saying that there aren't psychological effects or that someone is unaware of what those are. Just maybe she liked being an escort, we really don't know. But I still think that it should be a "so....what?" and a private matter.
    I guess I find it hard to believe that anyone "likes" being an escort, particularly when the person says that she was working as an escort because she is depressed and struggling.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  5. #25
    Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,663
    vCash
    565
    Rep Power
    9472
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I guess I find it hard to believe that anyone "likes" being an escort, particularly when the person says that she was working as an escort because she is depressed and struggling.
    I've known people who worked in the escort business - male and female. While some didn't feel comfortable in it, others enjoyed it very much. Especially the money.

    While I can understand why she may have gone into the escort business because she was struggling financially, I don't understand why she got into it because she was depressed. The depression part makes little sense, unless she was depressed about finances.

    It's a profession that isn't for everyone. But there really are escorts who "like" their profession.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,310
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The very first line of the first linked article is: Three-time Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton says she coped with depression and a troubled marriage by turning to a life of prostitution.
    "A life of prostitution" is not the same as specifically calling a particular person a prostitute.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  7. #27
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,830
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    24455
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    For $600, yes, you can bet that sex-for-money was part of the deal
    I dont' think you can make a blanket statement like that. I think the price a man would expect sex would vary as would the price a women would be willing to put out for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Legalizing prostitution tends to lead to an increase in sex trafficking, among other things.

    I'm not certain it is possible for sex workers to not be abused in prostitution. Or perhaps exploited is a better word.
    It seems to work in other countries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You consider professional sports and prostitution analagous?
    I do! I consider being a computer consultant somewhat analagous to being a prostitute as well. That's where the name "MacMadame" came from. I was a computer consultant at the time specializing in jobs that involved Macs.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  8. #28
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It seems to work in other countries.
    The data on sex trafficking in countries with legalized prostitution comes from those countries.

    Roughly 75% of women who work as escorts--not street prostitutes, but escorts--attempt or commit suicide. Sounds like they really enjoy the work to me and it's no different from any other job.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  9. #29
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,969
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39361
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    While I can understand why she may have gone into the escort business because she was struggling financially, I don't understand why she got into it because she was depressed. The depression part makes little sense, unless she was depressed about finances.
    This article addresses some of those issues - it's all speculation of course, so who knows how accurate it is, but it does raise some interesting issues. I think the article also addresses one of the reasons that people find interesting what in most cases would be a private matter - the whole idea that someone who seems to have it all is still struggling with issues.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8021
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The data on sex trafficking in countries with legalized prostitution comes from those countries.

    Roughly 75% of women who work as escorts--not street prostitutes, but escorts--attempt or commit suicide. Sounds like they really enjoy the work to me and it's no different from any other job.
    I used to think prostitution should be legal, with many of the arguments presented here.
    But after I talked with people who worked with prostitutes and read more data I think buying sex should be criminalizes.
    The myth about 'the happy hooker' is just that - a myth. A very small percentage of people in the sex industry does I voluntarily, or wouldn't choose another type of work if they could.

    And this might be in addition to trafficking issues...

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Prostitutes are not happy people, and men do not pay $600.00 simply for the company of a charming, attractive woman.

    That's a blanket statement, and after working in the adult sector for ten years as a dancer and dominatrix, I feel qualified to make it.

  12. #32
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,830
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    24455
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The data on sex trafficking in countries with legalized prostitution comes from those countries.
    Where else would it come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Roughly 75% of women who work as escorts--not street prostitutes, but escorts--attempt or commit suicide. Sounds like they really enjoy the work to me and it's no different from any other job.
    In what countries? Ones where it is legal or illegal? If there is a stigma to the job, of course there are going to be unhappy people doing it. If the stigma is gone, that is going to change the dynamics of the job.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  13. #33
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Where else would it come from?
    More than 80% of sex workers in the Netherlands--where prostitution is legal--are trafficked. You consider this a system that works?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    In what countries? Ones where it is legal or illegal? If there is a stigma to the job, of course there are going to be unhappy people doing it. If the stigma is gone, that is going to change the dynamics of the job.
    Overall. And just because something is legal does not mean that there is no stigma attached. Otherwise, why would women be trafficked to fill the jobs?

    Numerous studies show that between 70 percent and 90 percent of children and women who end up in commercial sex were sexually abused prior to entry. No other industry is dependent upon a regular supply of victims of trauma and abuse.

    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...re-trafficking

    This is what works? This is what having no stigma looks like?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,986
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1833
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Overall. And just because something is legal does not mean that there is no stigma attached. Otherwise, why would women be trafficked to fill the jobs?
    For the same reason that men are brought in to some countries by Mafias to work in construction, so they(the mobsters) can control them and take a big cut off their payment. The job isn't illegal and there's no stigma attached, it's about control.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,551
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19192
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I never understand why things like this are news. Consenting adults. She and her husband (and daughter), may have some things to work through, but so do most husbands, and wives and kids. No one's business but theirs.
    Because she is a former olympic athlete. If she was joe-schmo from Iowa, the media wouldn't give a hoot...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  16. #36

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36617
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Because she is a former olympic athlete. If she was joe-schmo from Iowa, the media wouldn't give a hoot...
    Would most Americans know who she is?

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,551
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19192
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Would most Americans know who she is?
    No, but if the story is in print they will read it because of the words former olympian.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  18. #38
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,830
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    24455
    Ha, work just blocked my access to this page when I tried to reply to Prancer.

    Anyway, on the one hand, you say there is stigma. But then you say that the system doesn't work so it proves having no stigma wouldn't change the system. That is not logical.

    The question is: if there wasn't a big stigma around women having sex with multiple partners, let alone being paid for it, how would that change the dynamics of the system. If there are no places in the world where there isn't a stigma attached, then we can't use those systems to postulate how not having a stigma would change things. If there are places, then we can.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •