196 52.69%
  • no

176 47.31%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    most successful only in Olympics record since Katarina Witt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Sonia Henie couldn't do more than a single axel... how would she cope with COP. The mind boggles... well no it doesn't really.
    We'll never know if she could have competed jump-wise. She came up when figures were 60% of the score. Henie was an amazing spinner, by the way.

vCash
    If Yuna wins her second Olympics, winning every competition along the way with just few falls and mistakes, she would deserve to be known as the most consistent skater ever known. Actually, I think she already deserves that title.

But her base value is not the highest that could be achieved under present CoP, so her free program score will be broken sooner or later. There are also many skaters who are more flexible and have better lines than her. The programs she has skated can hardly be called innovative or original and have not broken any new artistic grounds.

So no, she would not be the ‘greatest’ skater ever. But she is definitely very, very consistent.

vCash
    Whatever happens, my hope is that Yu-Na is inspiring future Koreans to break her records one day. The Chinese are getting better in singles, and hopefully Korea will develop strong competitors in ladies and men's.

If this happens, the world scene will only get better.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.

vCash
    Honestly, I don't even think it matters if she's considered the greatest or not. If a person thinks so, great! If not, oh well, plenty of fish-- skaters-- in the sea.

vCash
    I think the stuff Yu-Na does on the ice in her programmes is most difficult ever (so far). And her nerves seem to be excellent. In that sense she is the best skater so far and deserves to be called Queen even for one Olympic gold. The title Kween suits Kwan as her success at two Olympics was not the expected one. The nerves got to her in the most prestigious figure skating competitions twice.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Whatever happens, my hope is that Yu-Na is inspiring future Koreans to break her records one day. The Chinese are getting better in singles, and hopefully Korea will develop strong competitors in ladies and men's.

If this happens, the world scene will only get better.
    Are there alot of younger Korean skaters in the junior ranks who are good? I wonder if it takes about 10 years to get champions. For instance, after Midori Ito, it took Japan about 10-15 years to be a powerhouse. I wonder if Korea will be the same down the line?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sonya71 View Post
    If Yuna wins her second Olympics, winning every competition along the way with just few falls and mistakes, she would deserve to be known as the most consistent skater ever known. Actually, I think she already deserves that title.

But her base value is not the highest that could be achieved under present CoP, so her free program score will be broken sooner or later. There are also many skaters who are more flexible and have better lines than her. The programs she has skated can hardly be called innovative or original and have not broken any new artistic grounds.

So no, she would not be the ‘greatest’ skater ever. But she is definitely very, very consistent.
    Actually, they did. Danse Macabre and Girshwin piano concerto were very innovative and original.

vCash
    Was Wilson and Kim's Gershwin really new? Was it innovative or inspiring?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    Actually, they did. Danse Macabre and Girshwin piano concerto were very innovative and original.
    Mind explaining how?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Was Wilson and Kim's Gershwin really new? Was it innovative or inspiring?
    No. I feel like all her programs are the same. Sweeping arms, lean, sweeping arms, lean....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    No. I feel like all her programs are the same. Sweeping arms, lean, sweeping arms, lean....
    This season, I admits that there was no originality in the choreography of her program.But, once again, I want to ask.
    This programs(08-09/09-10 seasons) is almost the same choreography You have felt? At that time she did not received such assessments.
    Scheherazade http://youtu.be/A7RiqgFa3Cg
    Gershwin http://youtu.be/6uLhN1jH6uo

Danse Macabre http://youtu.be/-hIQKNfP-a4
    007 http://youtu.be/x0-41QWms00
    Last edited by karlon; 03-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    This season, I admits that there was no originality in the choreography of her program.But, once again, I want to ask.
    This programs(08-09/09-10 seasons) is almost the same choreography You have felt? At that time she did not received such assessments.
    Scheherazade http://youtu.be/A7RiqgFa3Cg
    Gershwin http://youtu.be/6uLhN1jH6uo

Danse Macabre http://youtu.be/raCgAaugWwc
    007 http://youtu.be/x0-41QWms00
    Yes. And to ensure I just wasn't been "anti Yuna" I just watched Scheherazade and Gershwin side by side, with no music so i could focus purely on the choreography (I advise you all the do the same). The movements and the program lay out are so similar. Admittedly, in Scheherazde she does the forward swoop to the knees a lot more, but that is pretty much the main difference.

I do think that Sheherazde is the better program of the two, the forward swoop won me over. Although I prefer the blue dress.

I have never noticed how mediocre her sit spin position is... its really not very low. Yes, Yuna has many great qualities, she is a gorgeous girl, loads of charisma, and is one of the greatest technical skaters ever, but, to call her innovative or original is a stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Yes. And to ensure I just wasn't been "anti Yuna" I just watched Scheherazade and Gershwin side by side, with no music so i could focus purely on the choreography (I advise you all the do the same). The movements and the program lay out are so similar. Admittedly, in Scheherazde she does the forward swoop to the knees a lot more, but that is pretty much the main difference.
    Then except the part about the choreography. you earlier said "I feel like all her programs are the same."
    Without turning off the music and when you Just watch the program, These two programs(Scheherazde/Gershwin or Danse Macabre / 007) that felt the same to you?
    Last edited by karlon; 03-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    Then except the part about the choreography. you earlier said "I feel like all her programs are the same."
    Without turning off the music and when you Just watch the program, These two programs(Scheherazde/Gershwin or Danse Macabre / 007) that felt the same to you?
    well obviously the music is different, but she is essentially doing the same program to different music.. which makes me question the authenticity of the interpretation. Different music is going to make you feel different things. Scheherazde makes me feel sad about Kwan, Gerswhin makes me feel happy about Kulik

vCash
    ONE OF THE BEST, yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    We'll never know if she could have competed jump-wise. She came up when figures were 60% of the score. Henie was an amazing spinner, by the way.
    Didnt she invent the layback spin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Didnt she invent the layback spin?
    No. Cecilia Colledge did.

vCash
    Kim may not be the most artisitic skater but who actually is? I realise a lot of people consider Michelle Kwan to be one of the best artistic skaters ever but personally I just don't get it. I don't really get Kim either and way prefer Mao but that is me. I just think there are very few skaters ever in Ice Dance, Mens, Womens or Pairs that were truly artistic skaters. The majority of skaters can at least project some of the music etc. but that is it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    You're tempting Sonja Henie to rise from the dead with death stares, border guard frisks, torn down SP protocols, and an extemporanously performed triple "Yump" that the technical callers would not dare to ratify as anything less than a 3A.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast