372. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

196 52.69%
  • no

176 47.31%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    ^^ I doubt she will recycle that program. Zero possibility IMO.
    I don't see why not. She performed it only one time and that one time was flawed. Most people agree it was a lovely program that would have seriously benefited from some extra mileage. She and David could tweak it in a few places to spruce it up a bit.

I don't see why there's zero chance...it was way better than anything they came up with this year, that's for sure.

vCash
    She’s never recycled programs in her senior years. And I guess she would want to skate new programs for her last competitive season. The Homage program, she did it at Worlds and at ATS, and it’s done. If she were to bring a program from the past, I hope it be the Lark Ascending. But it’s done too, long time ago. Life is short..

vCash
    She’s never recycled programs in her senior years. And I guess she would want to skate new programs for her last competitive season. The Homage program, she did it at Worlds and at ATS, and it’s done. If she were to bring a program from the past, I hope it be the Lark Ascending. But it’s done too, long time ago. Life is short..
    It is really sad that she has only one season to go.. But she made a decision and I fully respect that.

vCash
    I wonder if she will even go to Worlds after the Games or not. Since she did in 2010 I am guessing she will this time too. It wouldnt surprise me if she won in Sochi if she tried a comeback for 2018 as well, with Olympics in her home country, and the chance at a historic 3rd gold, would be too much to pass up on I am guessing.

vCash
    How could one like Warhol if one’s so turned off by repetition of forms? Subject matter differs, but basic building blocks remain same. Of course, interpretive extension and construction of elements have infinite possibilities. But, alas, seamless execution is so rare.

To me, each of Yu-Na’s programs has had distinctive attraction dating back to her junior years, including her exhibition programs. She is versatile.
    Who says that I even like my own work?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I wonder if she will even go to Worlds after the Games or not. Since she did in 2010 I am guessing she will this time too. It wouldnt surprise me if she won in Sochi if she tried a comeback for 2018 as well, with Olympics in her home country, and the chance at a historic 3rd gold, would be too much to pass up on I am guessing.
    She's not likely to go after Sochi, first because she said so and second because it's in Japan.

As for a potential 3rd Olympic Gold Medal, I doubt her body will allow her. But who knows? It seems jump-wise she's actually improved over her 2009 form, so perhaps she may not decline as rapidly as we think. Carolina has been able to maintain her jumps and she's what--26?

vCash
    Yuna already has been considered by many as one of the best skaters ever since her Vancouver win. Personally I think Yuna's record of not having been off the podium ever throughout her 10+ year of career, plus two Worlds gold medals, plus an Olympic gold medal is every bit as impressive as or more impressive than Sonja Henie's three olympic gold medals. She is very close to becoming the best ever in my book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I don't see why not. She performed it only one time and that one time was flawed. Most people agree it was a lovely program that would have seriously benefited from some extra mileage. She and David could tweak it in a few places to spruce it up a bit.

I don't see why there's zero chance...it was way better than anything they came up with this year, that's for sure.
    I too lurved her Homage program, and think that if she just did a standard program with ordinary skating music, it wouldn't be as meaningful for her swan song.

I consider Yuna one of the greatest of all time. It's quite to amazing to think that she could possibly have gotten three Oly golds if she had just been a few months older. However, she is not without weaknesses. She has epic toe jumps and is extremely consistent, but her edge jumps are just average (or below average if you consider that she doesn't have a triple loop), her spins are average (the fugly layback position), her spirals and lines are average (lack of turn out), and her footwork is fairly slow and unmemorable from one program to the next (for example I remember seeing a practice clip of her going through her Gershwin footwork to Mao's Bells of Moscow music at the Olympics and it looked like it could have just as easily fit with Mao's music).
    Last edited by iloveemoticons; 03-31-2013 at 03:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    I too lurved her Homage program, and think that if she just did a standard program with ordinary skating music, it wouldn't be as meaningful for her swan song.

I consider Yuna one of the greatest of all time. It's quite to amazing to think that she could possibly have gotten three Oly golds if she had just been a few months older. However, she is not without weaknesses. She has epic toe jumps and is extremely consistent, but her edge jumps are just average (or below average if you consider that she doesn't have a triple loop), her spins are average (the fugly layback position), her spirals and lines are average (lack of turn out), and her footwork is fairly slow and unmemorable from one program to the next (for example I remember seeing a practice clip of her going through her Gershwin footwork to Mao's Bells of Moscow music at the Olympics and it looked like it could have just as easily fit with Mao's music).

Her footwork slow and unmemorable? You should be joking or perhaps you are one of the Mao fans who just want to propagate negativity on Yuna. If not, I don't think you have seen her skating in person because she is the fastest skater out there and her speed does not slow down when she goes through her footwork. Just check out fan-cams of her skating on the Youtube and compare with Asada and see the difference yourself. And her programs, including the latest LP, have been considered as some of the best choreographed programs in recent memories by experts and long-time commentators. Her body turn-out has been improved much since her early senior years as well.
    Last edited by amaro; 03-31-2013 at 05:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro
    Her footwork slow and unmemorable? You should be joking or perhaps you are one of the Mao fans who just want to propagate negativity on Yuna.
    Are YOU joking? You must either be five years old or Yuna's mom, or else you'd understand that people are allowed to have opinions. Yes, I do think Yuna's footwork is slow and memorable. Deal with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    If one is judging strictly by results (and not counting Sonja Henie), then Katarina Witt beats Yuna.

Katarina has 2 Olympic Golds, plus 4 World titles and two world silvers. Even if Yuna wins the next worlds and Olys, Katarina wins.
    Time for Witt to get out her Yu Na voodoo doll and start sticking pins in. I wish Yu Na all the best next year though.

vCash
    Yuna is a good spinner, not the best positions (still good enough anyway aside from that layback her haters enjoy repeat on and on) but fast enough and well-centered. Her steps aren't slow either. Although not as complicated as Carolina's or Asada's, she uses deep, clear edges effortlessly throughout and she covers a lot of ice with her speed. Just because you "think so" doesn't make it right.

And in the practice video, Yuna slowed down the footwork in tune to Bells of Moscow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    ...The absolute one thing that irritates me with IJS is that skaters like YuNa and Carolina can now leave out the difficult jumps they have trouble with and just do the ones they are comfortable with in strategic combinations or placements to rack up the points....
    For the record, Carolina did all 5 different triples with right edge (leaving out 3A, of course) in this competition.In fact that her 3L in FS turned out to be single, but she had a wonderful one in the SP. She has brought back all the difficulty, she couldn't do due to injury, including 3F-3T and 3Lz and all her jumps have excellent quality. So she hadn't left out difficulty this year.

And back on topic, every single fan has their own great skaters. I don't think a medal do the skater greatest. Times have different great skaters and personal taste do the rest. Someone like more one skater than an other who leaves him/her cold.
    YuNa is definitely great, she does effortless programs. But I don't think you can name one skater greatest of all time. For me, other skaters involve me more and they are my heroes and greatest skaters, no matter medals or achievements.
    There can be more than one great skaters in the same time, each with his/her own beauty and that is what is great. I love this time where we have many skaters who, on a given day, can skate really great programs.
    Last edited by npavel; 03-31-2013 at 10:06 PM.

vCash
    Yes she would be. I really only compare eras since 1989 as for me that is when ladies skating being really competitive with 5-7 triple programs really program. She would have the best career of anyone in that time span. Better than Yamaguchi who probably had the best career since 1989 to now. As for her skills I would say she is the 2nd best jumper ever after Ito, best toe jumper of all time, perhaps the best overall technical skater considering all facets of technical skating (jumps, spins, footwork, spirals, stroking) is one of the best ever in skating skills and edge flow, as well as overall musical intereptation and elegance. She also isnt weak at anything, even the worst aspects of her skating like spirals and posture are still strong, atleast 7 out of 10 for elite standards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    If one is judging strictly by results (and not counting Sonja Henie), then Katarina Witt beats Yuna.

Katarina has 2 Olympic Golds, plus 4 World titles and two world silvers. Even if Yuna wins the next worlds and Olys, Katarina wins.
    Lets look at Witt and her big titles shall we:

1984 Olympics- mediocre event. Her arch rival Rosalyn Summners succumbed to Olympic nerves and did a very poor short and long program, and still was .1 from one judge from beating Witt for the gold by winning the long program. Had Sumners done her 83 Worlds LP she would have won easily considering she came as close as she did with a relatively poor skate (and that Witt skated a much better LP at the 83 Worlds and still lost it to Sumners there). Witt herself skated so so and overmarked figures, excellent short program, and a so so and lucky to win long program with popped jumps, a few shaky moments and poor choreography. The best free skating of the Olympics considering both short and long programs was probably done by Chin and Zayak who both sucked terribly at figures at the time so were never in contention other than a real long shot at the bronze, which went to a hideous Russian skater.

1984 Worlds- An even weaker event than the 1984 Olympics. Sumners and Chin did not even skate, the Russian ladies melted down in the long after good figures and short. Witt had no competition for the gold, she could have done one triple and won it given how the event played out.

1985 Worlds- OK I will admit she skated very well to win this one and it was a pretty good event. Still only one of her main competitors was clean and that was Ivanova.

1987 Worlds- Very impressive how she won with her best ever long program but weak figures and a weak and overmarked short program.

1988 Olympics- Never should have won. Thomas should have been way ahead of her after figures and the short, and Manley should have beaten her overall as well.

1988 Worlds- Won by default, this was an even worse event than the 84 ones, and anyway Manley should have won as she clearly beat Witt in figures and the long program.

Her wins were a combination of luck, poor competition, competitions who couldnt overcome the figures value then, and poor judging. Nothing like the greatness of Yamaguchi, Kwan, Midori Ito, Tara Lipinski, Irina Slutskaya, Mao Asada, and Yu Na Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Kim has been to Worlds six times and won twice. Kwan went twelve times and won five titles. Had Kim won three titles, her percentage so far would be better (50% vs. Kwan's 41.67%), but that's not the case. Or are you talking about Kim's entire career so far vs. Kwan's? In that case, it probably is true. One thing that Kim has over Kwan where Worlds is concerned is that she has won at least one phase of competition every year she's entered it (SP: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013; FS: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013).
    To be fair, you would have to eliminate Michelle's trips to Worlds when she would not have been eligible because of age. Unfortunately, that would eliminate 1996! But, just starting with '97, she went 9 times and won 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    Are YOU joking? You must either be five years old or Yuna's mom, or else you'd understand that people are allowed to have opinions. Yes, I do think Yuna's footwork is slow and memorable. Deal with it.
    No, I am not a 5 yr old or her mom. I am simply saying based on my experiences. I heard about Yuna's spin position or body turn-outs but never heard anyone saying her skating or footwork is slow unless the statement was from Maobots. Her footwork being memorable or not is a more subjective matter so it will be difficult to verify, but do go check the validity of your argument yourself at least on her skating and footwork speed on Youtube and show me a clip that proves me otherwise.
    Last edited by amaro; 04-02-2013 at 04:16 AM.

vCash
    it kills me that sonia henie has 3 olympic golds and 10 world championship golds

WTF?!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    Yuna is a good spinner, not the best positions (still good enough anyway aside from that layback her haters enjoy repeat on and on) but fast enough and well-centered. Her steps aren't slow either. Although not as complicated as Carolina's or Asada's, she uses deep, clear edges effortlessly throughout and she covers a lot of ice with her
    speed. Just because you "think so" doesn't make it right.
    Ok. And just because you don't bother to preface your opinions with "I think" doesn't mean you're right either.

Quote Originally Posted by amaro
    No, I am not a 5 yr old or her mom. I am simply saying based on my experiences. I heard about Yuna's spin position or body turn-outs but never heard anyone saying her skating or footwork is slow unless the statement was from Maobots. Her footwork being memorable or not is a more subjective matter so it will be difficult to verify, but do go check the validity of your argument yourself at least on her skating and footwork speed on Youtube and show me a clip that proves me otherwise.
    I just checked the validity of my argument and found out that her footwork is slow and unmemorable

vCash
    I thought her footwork in Dance, El Tango de Roxanne and even in her Homage/Arirang program was really good and memorable. That's just my opinion before someone labeled me as a Yunabot.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast