372. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

196 52.69%
  • no

176 47.31%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ITA with this. Yu-Na's name is already among the best but it's too hard to nail down one skater as the "best ever" b/c you're covering way too much ground and skating has changed immensely. It's hard to compare skaters across the generation gaps b/c the rules/standards/requirements/etc. have changed so much.
    absolutely.

It is impossible to precisely compare skaters from different eras.
    Rules change. Athleticism increasingly demands its place alongside artistry.
    yamaguchi said "“How do you compare that to Sonja Henie?(with yuna) Everything is relative to the time and era.” "Certainly, it has taken women’s skating to another level. Technically. The whole package.”

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    No... Sure, she's won many competitions convincingly, but quite honestly, she's really just a jumper (and really only a 3 triple jumper at that because her loop and salchow suck). Most of her spin positions are awful; she lacks line and full polish. She is somewhat artistic, but will never go down in history as one of the most artistic skaters. She rarely has skated perfectly clean LPs.

As an all around skater, then maybe yes.
    hmmmm ...Yuna(until the 2010 OG), the most part of praise, 'perfectly combination of artistry and athleticism'
    Never have athlete and artist been more perfectly balanced than they are with Kim in this rule.
    I remembered that the legends praised her for this reasons.

michelle kwan "I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism."
    dorothy hamil "The whole thing is very beautiful and athletic but not too athletic. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything when I watch her."
    Peggy Fleming "She has the combination of the technical elements and the grace and musicality, and that’s what you want in skating"
    tara lipinski "yuna kim, who push the envelope tech and combine it w artistry."

i feel that so many haters on here..
    Last edited by karlon; 01-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.

vCash
    I think this thread is created to diss Yu-Na by making people arguing against her. Successful scheme, Andofanatic! Your mission accomplished

vCash
    So overscored again. Such an overrated skater. Ando is coming back to win the Olympics next year.

vCash
    sigh... I knew some Yuna-basher would revive this... big thumps down to you.

vCash
    Before these worlds, I had answered No. However, after watching her at worlds, I think she is pretty close to being the best ever if she wins her second OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Before these worlds, I had answered No. However, after watching her at worlds, I think she is pretty close to being the best ever if she wins her second OGM.
    Miki Ando is the best skater of this era, Mao second, and Yu Na a distant third. Remember what happened at Worlds the two times Miki skated perfectly. Yu Na could not win. Actually in 2011 Miki didnt even skate her best and stil beat Yu Nas best. She is just better when she is on. Yu Na benefits form the inconsistency of Miki, Mao, Carolina who would all clean her with clean skates even if she skated her best. Yu Na is so consistent she always skates well yet she has lost 4 of the last 6 Worlds, and even been 3rd twice, only since when Mao, Miki, and Carolina are also on, and sometimes when they arent even totally, she cant win regardless what she does. They control her fate, not she her own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    Ando is coming back to win the Olympics next year.

vCash
    Miki Ando is the best skater of this era, Mao second, and Yu Na a distant third. Remember what happened at Worlds the two times Miki skated perfectly. Yu Na could not win. Actually in 2011 Miki didnt even skate her best and stil beat Yu Nas best. She is just better when she is on. Yu Na benefits form the inconsistency of Miki, Mao, Carolina who would all clean her with clean skates even if she skated her best. Yu Na is so consistent she always skates well yet she has lost 4 of the last 6 Worlds, and even been 3rd twice, only since when Mao, Miki, and Carolina are also on, and sometimes when they arent even totally, she cant win regardless what she does. They control her fate, not she her own.
    Yes. We agree. So please why don't you just create a poll asking whether Miki is the best skater ever instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    Yes. We agree. So please why don't you just create a poll asking whether Miki is the best skater ever instead.
    She is so underrated nobody would vote for her so why bother. I also dont think Miki is the best ever, just best of her era. The best skater of the last 15 years is a toss up between Michelle Kwan and Miki Ando. Ando is the far better jumper, better spinners, and better at footwork, but Kwan is a bit better in spirals and artistry. Best all time is Ito, Lynn, Hamill, or Henjie probably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny81 View Post
    What is so funny about that. Do you forget Worlds 2011 where a certain someone kicked Queen Yu Na behind even though she skated her best.

vCash
    What is so funny about that. Do you forget Worlds 2011 where a certain someone kicked Queen Yu Na behind even though she skated her best.
    How did Kim skate her best? She popped a few jumps and still almost won by a point or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    How did Kim skate her best? She popped a few jumps and still almost won by a point or two.
    OK maybe not her best but Ando had one big mistakes in the long. Kim had one big mistake in the long. Ando did only 5 triples and no triple-triple and Kim did 5 triples and a triple-triple. That means Kim was closer to clean with more difficulty, and a bit closer to her best, than Ando by a bit, and Ando still came from behind after the short to beat her. Fact. Why did Ando with 5 triples, no triple-triple, and a big mistake beat Kim with 5 triples and a triple-triple and a big mistake if Kim is better. Since Ando at her best can do 7 triples vs Kim only 6, Ando would win even more easy with both doing their best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post

i feel that so many haters on here..
    So just because one doesn't think she's the best ever, one is a hater? Idiotic!

Everyone has different criteria as to what constitutes the best, and that criteria need not have anything to do with what some so-called experts say. To me, Kim could never be the best ever simply because she does not do the loop jump, and with such a glaring technical deficiency that makes her an incomplete skater. There are few who do the other jumps better than her, that I must say. Her spins are just satisfactory, her line leaves a lot to be desired, and she is artistic but in the sense that she mimes her choreography very well; her artistry is not of the truly soulful kind, not of the sort that made, say, Janet Lynn so genuinely expressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    So just because one doesn't think she's the best ever, one is a hater? Idiotic!

Everyone has different criteria as to what constitutes the best, and that criteria need not have anything to do with what some so-called experts say. To me, Kim could never be the best ever simply because she does not do the loop jump, and with such a glaring technical deficiency that makes her an incomplete skater. There are few who do the other jumps better than her, that I must say. Her spins are just satisfactory, her line leaves a lot to be desired, and she is artistic but in the sense that she mimes her choreography very well; her artistry is not of the truly soulful kind, not of the sort that made, say, Janet Lynn so genuinely expressive.

many posters rightfully criticized as well, but some posters severely slammed I was just felt.
    If you feel bad in my words, I'm sorry for that.
    Last edited by karlon; 03-18-2013 at 07:53 PM.

vCash
    I think she has to be considered the best ever. She skates from a country with basically little to no history in the sport with technical content right up there in a system that is way harder to fix. She isn't just beating her competitiors like other earlier skaters but is well dominating them. Some argument could be made the rest of the field is weaker. That is true to an extent but I really don't see why that matters.

The only thing that possibly hurts if you look at accomplishments etc. is that she is only a two time world champion. (don't think it matters though)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    I think she has to be considered the best ever. She skates from a country with basically little to no history in the sport with technical content right up there in a system that is way harder to fix. She isn't just beating her competitiors like other earlier skaters but is well dominating them. Some argument could be made the rest of the field is weaker. That is true to an extent but I really don't see why that matters.

The only thing that possibly hurts if you look at accomplishments etc. is that she is only a two time world champion. (don't think it matters though)
    Two time world champion but also she will have had two Olympic Golds if she wins in Sochi too (huge IF) which gives her 4 major titles-Kwan had 5 and Witt had 6.

You also have to look to at how many shots at worlds they've all had. Katerina went to 9 worlds.. Whereas Yu na had only been to 6. Michelle went to 12 worlds and 2 Olympics.

Of course unfair a bit seeing as nobody medaled right away at worlds like Kim did but win loss record.
    Katerina Witt .50
    Kim-.428
    Kwan-.357

If Kim wins in Sochi she will tie witt in terms of worlds and olympics average.

vCash
    if Kim wins in Sochi her "record" (which should not be the only determining factor to best ever mind you) would clearly be better than Kwan's. 2 Olympic Golds + 2 World titles easily atleast equals or probably beats 5 World titles + 0 Olympic Golds. Then when you look at other categories like Grand Prix final titles (Kim has 3 in 4 appearances, Kwan 1 in 5 appearances), overall dominance, Kim clearly edges ahead. Looked at another way Kim (winning in Sochi) would have done way better, not just a bit better, in both the biggest and third biggest events in the sport (Olympics, GP final) and Kwan only better in the 2nd biggest- Worlds. However even at Worlds Kim has one edge, she medaled in every single Worlds she was ever in, 6 for 6 thus far. Kim's record would be far more balanced, Olympic dominance which obviously eluded Kwan, Worlds dominance even if still less than the great Kwan here, and general participation and dominance of the regular grand prix series as a whole which Kwan didnt show anytime except the 95-96 season.

Witt would be the only one in the post World War 11 years to truly edge Kim in achievements, but while I try to be as fair to someone like her as possible it is hard for me to ever think of Witt as being the caliber of skater that Kim, Kwan, Ito, Yamaguchi, and many others we have seen the last 30 years, no matter what her medal count is, which I guess comes back to my comment that medal count alone shouldnt determine best ever. Even in her own era many think Witt was only like the 7th best skater, but just the best competitor. Some would even say Thomas, Chin, young Ito, Manley, Kondrashova, Kadavy were all better skaters, but none were the overall competitor Witt was. Maybe Witt deserves to be credited as the best competitor ever, but probably almost nobody would call her the best skater ever.

All that said I really dont know who I consider best ever. I still think Ito is the best jumper I ever saw, Lynn the most artistic skater ever, Schuba the best in compulsory figures, I dont even know who is the best all around, maybe one of Kim, Kwan, or Yamaguchi. Pure skating would be either Hamill or Lynn. It really depends on what one values.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 03-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.

vCash
    I think if she were to win olympics and break her own world record. Then yeah, she is absolutely the best ladies skater EVER

vCash
    Sonia Henie couldn't do more than a single axel... how would she cope with COP. The mind boggles... well no it doesn't really.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash

I wonder what skater you watched, or what protocols, but it was not Yu Na Kim's !

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast