Voters
372. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

196 52.69%
  • no

176 47.31%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

If Yu Na Kims wins 2nd Olympic Gold at 2014 Olympics would she be best ever?

Yu Na Kim is already widely regarded a top 5 female skater of all time, and the best ever by some. If she successfully defends her Olympic Gold in Sochi would she be the best female skater ever. I believe she would for a variety of reasons. The only others who have multiple Olympic Golds are Henjie and Witt, and nobody considers them the best ever. It would also be impossible to say Michelle Kwan is better than Yu Na Kim with the latter having 2 Olympic Golds and Michelle 0, and when Yu Na has better records at every venue except the World Championships than Kwan (Olympics, Grand Prix final, regular grand prix, etc...). People like Ito and Janet Lynn are highly revered and rightly so but they certainly dont have the medal haul of Kim even now, let alone with her 2nd OGM.

vCash
    "Best ever"?

I don't think that's a phrase appropriate to use among figure skaters because this is a multifaceted sport; a fine skater can be measured in many different ways.

"One of the best", yes.

"The best ever", no. I wouldn't use that to describe any of my favorite skaters.

In addition, the Olympics isn't a defining event, as far as I'm concerned. Many flukes have happened where the best overall skaters did not win the Gold, or even any Olympic medal (e.g. Kurt Browning).

vCash

.... Wait did I just step into a warped Time Machine... Is Sochi already over? I am stunned Ando didn't win!! I was looking forward to her as Princess Leia (with 2 buns) to top off her last Cleopatra Olympic effort. I am soooooo sorry Andofanatic! .. but why not anonymous voting just curious? Are you trying to compile a new list of some kind

Since we have the time machine. Mind if we skip to Peyongchang 2018 also, I want to know if Hanyu/Patrick and Julia/Liza have won already, have they changed new coaches? Or if Kaetlyn Osmond, Gracie Gold, Li Zijun, Karen Chen are still around and winning everything. Or that Fumie is still going for the JP nationals qualifiers and have finally been inducted into the Japanese Hall of Fame already.

vCash
    I voted yes but only yes in that if she wins both the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics I would consider her the best ever. However as she is more likely (IMO) to win the 2013 Worlds than the 2014 Olympics, I imagine if she wins the 2014 Olympics, she had also won the 2013 Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    In addition, the Olympics isn't a defining event, as far as I'm concerned. Many flukes have happened where the best overall skaters did not win the Gold, or even any Olympic medal (e.g. Kurt Browning).
    Flukes never win more than 1 Olympics though, that is for sure (and they usually dont win any other major events, like Worlds, or the Grand Prix final).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    You're tempting Sonja Henie to rise from the dead with death stares, border guard frisks, torn down SP protocols, and an extemporanously performed triple "Yump" that the technical callers would not dare to ratify as anything less than a 3A.

vCash
    I don't think it fair to refer to a modern skater as "the best ever" since skating has changed so much between Henie's day (for example). Describing both as "the best of their respective eras" might be more accurate. Also, I don't think it fair to make the determination based on OGMs. While some "flukes" may have OGMs but no other major titile, there are skaters such as Browning who have lots of other major titles, but no OGM due to a fluke.

vCash
    One of the great skaters, but not the greatest ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post
    "Best ever"?

I don't think that's a phrase appropriate to use among figure skaters because this is a multifaceted sport; a fine skater can be measured in many different ways.

"One of the best", yes.

"The best ever", no. I wouldn't use that to describe any of my favorite skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I don't think it fair to refer to a modern skater as "the best ever" since skating has changed so much between Henie's day (for example). Describing both as "the best of their respective eras" might be more accurate. Also, I don't think it fair to make the determination based on OGMs. While some "flukes" may have OGMs but no other major titile, there are skaters such as Browning who have lots of other major titles, but no OGM due to a fluke.
    I echo these.

vCash
    No, because she's not American.

vCash
    If one is judging strictly by results (and not counting Sonja Henie), then Katarina Witt beats Yuna.

Katarina has 2 Olympic Golds, plus 4 World titles and two world silvers. Even if Yuna wins the next worlds and Olys, Katarina wins.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    ITA with this. Yu-Na's name is already among the best but it's too hard to nail down one skater as the "best ever" b/c you're covering way too much ground and skating has changed immensely. It's hard to compare skaters across the generation gaps b/c the rules/standards/requirements/etc. have changed so much.

Best of her era? Absolutely, and another world title and OGM would further distance Yu-Na from this crop of skaters. But best ever? I don't know if one skater will ever deserve that title...

vCash
    If you are going by medal count - no. Sonia Henie won 3 Olympic gold medals. If you are going by personal preference that is wide open.

Sonia Henie was also a world class skier and tennis player. Some have argued that she was athletic enough to compete today if she had today's training methods.

vCash
    No. Multiple gold winners in the past (Witt and Henie) skated at Worlds each of the four years between Olympics. Yu-Na did not do that. And anyway, she hasn't won that second gold medal yet. Better not to count chickens before they're hatched.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The question presented is "If Yu Na Kims wins 2nd Olympic Gold at 2014 Olympics would she be best ever?" in the tread title and "Would you consider Yu Na Kim best ever with 2nd Olympic Gold" in the poll. This seems to indicated that "best ever" is determined by results, so I think era is irrelevant to answering the question. The best ever, by results, is Sonja Henie followed by Katarina Witt.

vCash
    No... Sure, she's won many competitions convincingly, but quite honestly, she's really just a jumper (and really only a 3 triple jumper at that because her loop and salchow suck). Most of her spin positions are awful; she lacks line and full polish. She is somewhat artistic, but will never go down in history as one of the most artistic skaters. She rarely has skated perfectly clean LPs.

As an all around skater, then maybe yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    No... Sure, she's won many competitions convincingly, but quite honestly, she's really just a jumper (and really only a 3 triple jumper at that because her loop and salchow suck). Most of her spin positions are awful; she lacks line and full polish. She is somewhat artistic, but will never go down in history as one of the most artistic skaters. She rarely has skated perfectly clean LPs.

As an all around skater, then maybe yes.
    I 've observed there seems some sort of propaganda Mao fans try to spin that Yuna is now apparently just a jumper, a technician, lacks polish, awful spins, somewhat artistic?! Importance of clean programs? (Which is the last time any senior ladies really did an 100% clean program with a difficult 3/3 and 2 lutz in the program. When is the last time Mao did a clean FS program with or without 3A?)

Yuna hasn't been back on competitive ice for over 19 months, yeah a little rusty by her standard but she's human. Remember when Mao said she want to rework her techniques and had series of major disasters, and everybody respect that and give her some room to develop and breathe, please be consistent with these treatment.

My personal feeling on the poll issue is that there's no such thing as best skater ever. There's only who's the best skater to you! And that should all it matters.

vCash
    ^ Just an FYI, I am not an uber Mao fan. I admit, I am not a fan of Yuna; I think she is overhyped, and her fans calling her "Queen" Yuna was really excessive.

And I was never talking about her performances at NRW Trophy; I was talking about Yuna as a skater, and not much has changed in her as a skater since 2007.

vCash
    I think Yuna's legacy will be that she came from a country with no figure skating history to dominate the sport. Whatever you think about her mother and her tactics it is remarkable what they achieved without a strong federation to guide and support them.

vCash
    No because Plushenko will put on a skirt again and come do ladies when he's too old to land quads anymore and win all the things there too.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast