vCash

A White Wine Question

Is an opened bottle of white wine kept in the fridge for a year still good to use in a Cioppino recipe?
    I have two opinions that the wine taste good - if that means anything.

Thanks in advance.

vCash
    Given that it still tastes good, it should be fine to use it in cioppino. It's a dry white wine, right?

vCash
    I would use it. But you must not subscribe to the Julia Child method of cooking! A splash in the pan, a glass for the chef. Another splash in the pan, another glass for the chef.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Given that it still tastes good, it should be fine to use it in cioppino. It's a dry white wine, right?
    Yes it is a dry white wine - Chardonnay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Is an opened bottle of white wine kept in the fridge for a year still good to use in a Cioppino recipe?

Thanks in advance.
    the bigger question is why you have a bottle of wine in the fridge open that LASTED a year!!! =)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post

Thanks in advance.
    OMG that is disgusting! The wine should be rancid and like vinegar by now. Exposure to air oxidizes and eventually destroys the wine. I recommend drinking an opened (then resealed and refrigerated) bottle of any wine within one day if possible, but certainly with 3-4 days. My elderly Mom has also kept opened re-corked bottles of wine in her fridge (I drink a glass when I visit from out-of-state, and then it just sits there for months). The wine is horrible when I return - it is a dark color, looks like a urine sample and smells terrible. Given that food will taste better with good quality wine as an ingredient, get a new bottle of decent wine for your cioppino recipe.

Here are some helpful tips about storing wine: http://askville.amazon.com/open-bott...uestId=8497640

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would VERY carefully smell it and taste it. If it's been resealed, it MIGHT be all right. If you used one of those special devices for resealing, it might be okay, or if it was a screw-top (wine snobbery notwithstanding, screwtops give a better seal and obviously make resealing easier, with the wine lasting longer. A lot of Australian producers are using them exclusively rather than wasting money on even fake corks just to keep wine snobs happy.)

But assuming it's just an ordinary bottle of wine that at most had plastic wrap or something over the top...I'd probably throw it out. While you can get away with a lower-quality wine in food (ie it doesn't need to be a $40-a-bottle vintage) you shouldn't cook with wine that's undrinkable. ESPECIALLY don't use cooking wines (certain Japanese wines excepted.) Those are nasty and add nothing. Ideally, use the wine you plant to drink with it. Chardonnay wouldn't be my first choice with cioppino--I'd go for a Pinot Grigio, or maybe a Sauvignon Blanc.