Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I've been informed by a reliable source that the only reason that there is any Grand Prix coverage on NBC at all is because U.S. Figure Skating bought the limited rights from Universal Sports (apparently NBC does not own the broadcast rights to any ISU events besides Skate America?) and sold the advertising in order to make the telecasts possible.

My guess is that short programs are rarely shown these days because NBC has elected to do the least amount of video editing and post-production work possible in order to keep down their costs in putting together the telecasts.

However, I don't see why we fans shouldn't still request that NBC make improvements in their coverage, such as showing the top pairs' and dance teams' performances (in addition to Davis/White and Virtue/Moir), the best short programs, etc. in a 2013 Worlds recap telecast IF one is scheduled to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I do wish the ISU hadn't sold the GP rights solely to NBC/Universal who then made the decision to limit the online viewing to those with DirectTV or cable. I get why they did as this was a lateral move by DirectTV to increase subscribers.
    Part of the access issue can be blamed on Universal. The reason they are on so few broadcast systems is b/c they demanded their channel be carried as part of a sports premium package (I'm guessing this results in more ad sales/profits) and not on regular cable, like ESPN, etc. Most cable companies didn't want to do that, so they just don't carry Universal.

With the Olys, you did have to sign in but all that was required was to have cable or internet service through one of any companies serving your area. In fact, I don't think I had to sign in when i was at home b/c when I went to the site, it automatically ID'ed me as "logged in through Comcast", or something like that. I did have to log in at work, though.

And yes, part of the problem can be blamed on the ISU, for not also selling/providing IN with live broadcast rights.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Why does NBC refuse to acknowledge that the Short Programs exist? We haven't seen them all year!!! You don't just show half of a football game, the first half effects the score too!
    When figure skating fans can demonstrate that they are buying boatloads of beer, soda, junk food, sports drinks, SUVs, electronics, sporting goods, insurance, and other products and shopping at Target, Sears or Best Buy, then they might start showing SPs with lots of commercials.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Part of the access issue can be blamed on Universal. The reason they are on so few broadcast systems is b/c they demanded their channel be carried as part of a sports premium package (I'm guessing this results in more ad sales/profits) and not on regular cable, like ESPN, etc. Most cable companies didn't want to do that, so they just don't carry Universal.

With the Olys, you did have to sign in but all that was required was to have cable or internet service through one of any companies serving your area. In fact, I don't think I had to sign in when i was at home b/c when I went to the site, it automatically ID'ed me as "logged in through Comcast", or something like that. I did have to log in at work, though.

And yes, part of the problem can be blamed on the ISU, for not also selling/providing IN with live broadcast rights.
    Actually, I think that was DirectTV's demand. Universal gets nothing from that sports package which is an extra charge by DirectTV to it's customers. That package is not exclusive NBC/Universal channels. In fact, NBC sports is not part of the deal. I'm dropping the package as soon as Worlds is over because I don't watch any of the other channels.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Guys, we're not in 1996 anymore. I'm frankly astonished we get as many hours of coverage as we do from NBC, considering how old the broadcasts skew.

Now the commentators NBC selects, that's an entirely different can of worms...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    When figure skating fans can demonstrate that they are buying boatloads of beer, soda, junk food, sports drinks, SUVs, electronics, sporting goods, insurance, and other products and shopping at Target, Sears or Best Buy, then they might start showing SPs with lots of commercials.
    Alas, it is a numbers game just like the new scoring system. I do contact Smuckers and tell them how much I appreciate them backing skating all these years, and I do buy their products, but in the end its the ratings. If the ratings are high, the networks can charge more bucks for the commercials...more bucks means more coverage....what if the ratings for the nats and the GPs matched the ratings for Olympic ice skating? I have a dream....my hope is that I will live to see the day when I sit down to my TV and see any program from around the world for a small fee I want to watch.

vCash
    NBC blows when it comes not just to figure skating but the Olympics as a whole.

vCash
    Just wanted to point out, be thankful you have it at all. I don't think it's even an option on pay TV (cable) here in Australia.

vCash
    If I understand you, the winter Olympics are not covered on TV in Australia?
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Just wanted to point out, be thankful you have it at all. I don't think it's even an option on pay TV (cable) here in Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    If I understand you, the winter Olympics are not covered on TV in Australia?
    Well yes, they are. That is, however, the only coverage skating gets. Once every four years.

EDIT: I was not referring to Jammers' post about the Olympics. I was referring to figure skating coverage in general.

vCash
    one word

Ratings.

Whining, complaints etc aren't paying NBC's bills. If they can't sell advertisements for thier product it's not on the air. (Here'a clue... when the sad dog ads go away things will look up! )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12