Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,499
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16360
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,093
    vCash
    721
    Rep Power
    15562
    From what I've read elsewhere the actual hardward costs Apple about $5 to $10 (Iphone) so if it is physically damaged or the battery wears out it is not worth repairing. When they charge you $70 to exchange the damaged phone for the new one they are making a huge profit. If you lose the phone you have to pay the "retail" price of $700. To upgrade usually costs $200. I'm not surprised that they aren't concerned with how the employees treat the products in the store, it would cost them more to hire responsible adults and pay them benefits. As far as employees stealing pictures - what do you think happened when you sent your film to the photo lab for processing? Most of these employees are teenagers are you surprised?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,499
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16360
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    From what I've read elsewhere the actual hardward costs Apple about $5 to $10 (Iphone) so if it is physically damaged or the battery wears out it is not worth repairing. When they charge you $70 to exchange the damaged phone for the new one they are making a huge profit. If you lose the phone you have to pay the "retail" price of $700. To upgrade usually costs $200. I'm not surprised that they aren't concerned with how the employees treat the products in the store, it would cost them more to hire responsible adults and pay them benefits. As far as employees stealing pictures - what do you think happened when you sent your film to the photo lab for processing? Most of these employees are teenagers are you surprised?
    I remember eading somewhere back in the early 90's, that it only cost about 84 cents to munfacture a CD. Most CD's then were selling for what, maybe $11.99?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's the Daily Mail. I am a very happy Apple customer and user who had to pay over $100 to repair my BB recently at a private fix it shop. Had it next to my iPad the whole time yet the BB screen went blank and Rogers refused to help. I actually only wanted a cheap replacement but the girl did not even ask me anything. Instead I was told to fix it up the road and handed a card. I was too tired to argue so I went up the road and paid. But I am still unhappy.

  5. #5
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,769
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21356
    The big profit is why there are a TON of small businesses out their that will repair your iPhone or iPod for less than Apple charges. It cost them more than Apple to get the parts but they get them cheaply enough to still make a profit and undercut Apple. Most people when they damage screens are eligible for an upgrade and it's easier for them to pay the $200 (or $100 for a prior model) than to find a place that will repair for less but there are enough cheap people in the world that these companies are everywhere.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,213
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    When I opened this thread, I thought is was going to be a story about Gwynneth Paltrow's daughter

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,093
    vCash
    721
    Rep Power
    15562
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    When I opened this thread, I thought is was going to be a story about Gwynneth Paltrow's daughter
    Oh well if it's thread drift you want, why was everyone so outraged when she named her daughter Apple? No one got upset when Pat Boone named his daughter Cherry. I'd rather be Apple than Peaches.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Personally I prefer peaches and cherries to apples. The ones you eat that is.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,499
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16360
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Oh well if it's thread drift you want, why was everyone so outraged when she named her daughter Apple? No one got upset when Pat Boone named his daughter Cherry. I'd rather be Apple than Peaches.
    I always though Cherry Boone was pronounced like Sherry...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31672
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I remember eading somewhere back in the early 90's, that it only cost about 84 cents to munfacture a CD. Most CD's then were selling for what, maybe $11.99?
    However, that is not even close to what it costs to make the music that goes on the 84 cent CD. You have to pay producers, writers, A&R guys, mixers, instrumentalists, vocalists, editors, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on and on. Some producers charge well over $100,000 to do ONE song and an album by a big artist could have at least 5 songs by big producers, some artists have their entire albums done by big time producers/writers and an average album probably has about 12 songs on it. Not saying there is no profit but just looking at the 84 cent cost of manufacturing the physical CD is very misleading.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,499
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16360
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    However, that is not even close to what it costs to make the music that goes on the 84 cent CD. You have to pay producers, writers, A&R guys, mixers, instrumentalists, vocalists, editors, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on and on. Some producers charge well over $100,000 to do ONE song and an album by a big artist could have at least 5 songs by big producers, some artists have their entire albums done by big time producers/writers and an average album probably has about 12 songs on it. Not saying there is no profit but just looking at the 84 cent cost of manufacturing the physical CD is very misleading.
    Sorry, just repeating what I read...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  12. #12
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,769
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21356
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Oh well if it's thread drift you want, why was everyone so outraged when she named her daughter Apple? No one got upset when Pat Boone named his daughter Cherry.
    No one? I'm sure there were snarky comments. Just because we didn't have the internet to share them, doesn't mean they weren't going on.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •