Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    living every minute
    vCash

Kaitlyn Weaver - broken fibula in training.

Reliable sources (including direct from Kaitlyn) have confirmed that she had a training accident on the weekend when her blade got caught on the boards. She has a broken fibula (small bone of the leg) near her ankle and they'll be out of Canadian Nationals while she recovers. They intend to try for Worlds but will not have much time to train when she's allowed back on the ice.

Sending sympathy and best wishes to both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Get well soon.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

vCash
    Best wishes to her for a rapid and full recovery.

vCash
    Get well Kaitlyn!

I hope somehow she can manage to be in shape for Worlds in March but I won't get my hopes up.

vCash
    She's young, strong, healthy, and most of all determined..........I certainly won't give up hope for them at Worlds.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Depends very much on where the break is and the degree of breakage (and whether or not she needs surgery). She might be healed up by Worlds, but I think usually even minor fibula fractures they recommend a minimum of 3 months, which wouldn't leave time for training. Get well soon, Kaitlyn, and do your best to enjoy the time off doing things you don't normally have time to do!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash

vCash
    speedy recovery
    how long does this injury usually lasts ? I hope they will still be ready by Worlds and win the bronze medal

vCash
    Canada could probably get 3 Olympic spots if Gilles-Poirier don't mess up...no need to rush if she is not ready.
    (I have had that injury and it is very painful)

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    this is not a morning of good figure skating news
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    : NOOO !!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Damn, damn, damn!!

Get well soon Kaitlyn!!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks. Here's the full text:

12/18/2012

Weaver/Poje to miss Canadian Figure Skating Championships

Kaitlyn Weaver suffers injury

OTTAWA, ON: The defending silver medalists in ice dance, Kaitlyn Weaver, 23, Waterloo, Ont., and Andrew Poje, 25, Waterloo, Ont., will miss the upcoming 2013 Canadian Figure Skating Championships.

Weaver suffered an injury to her left ankle in training on Friday at their Bloomfield Hills, MI training site, the Detroit Skating Club. She will undergo surgery in Toronto, Ont. later today.

“We really appreciate all of the support of our followers and fans. We wanted to wait until we were sure of the situation, and all the implications before we confirmed what had happened,” said Kaitlyn Weaver. “Andrew and I will definitely keep you posted on the results of the surgery and the progress as the weeks unfold.”
    Best wishes to her on a full and speedy recovery!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Maybe the Detroit Red Wings will let her use their hyperbaric chamber. Don't those promote bone healing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Depends very much on where the break is and the degree of breakage (and whether or not she needs surgery). She might be healed up by Worlds, but I think usually even minor fibula fractures they recommend a minimum of 3 months, which wouldn't leave time for training.
    It also depends where the break is. Ankle fractures usually heal in 6 weeks. Of course, she's not going to be back on the ice at 6 weeks. 3 months is probably more like it. If the break was in her leg - Mevrouw's post suggested it was above the ankle - then healing might take longer than 6 weeks b/c the lower leg doesn't get a lot of blood flow and is notoriously slow to heal. I broke my tibia (yep, skating, but not doing anything near as complex as Kaitlyn probably was) a few inches above the ankle (right at the top of the skate boot) and I won't scare W/P fans by saying how long full healing took. But Kaitlyn is younger than me, plus the fibula heals faster than the tibia, so hopefully she will heal much faster. But if it was in fact a leg fracture, 12 weeks would not be unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Maybe the Detroit Red Wings will let her use their hyperbaric chamber. Don't those promote bone healing?
    Really? Damn, wish I'd known that 3 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It's not like they are using it! So maybe her team will ask

vCash
    I had surgery on a broken fibula last year. I was non-weight bearing for 71 days. I also did major damage to all the tendons and ligaments, and that slowed things down for me considerably. And like Debbie, I'm a bit older as well.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Worlds starts 82 days from now. It doesn't seem as if it will be possible for her to recover from the surgery and have enough time to train leading up to Worlds.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If anyone would like to leave a message of support for Kaitlyn (and Andrew), you can do so via their official site at http://www.weaverpoje.com/contact/ or their Facebook fan page at http://www.facebook.com/WeaverandPoje
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast