Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    So since Mervin isn't a fan of the loop, that would rule out Amelie as a partner (not that she's likely interested in pairs anyway, but that would be the nail in the coffin).
    A nail in the coffin to pointless fan speculation that was completely unrealistic.

vCash
    So sorry to hear of the split. I really enjoyed this pairing and hope they both get new partners soon especially Mervin.

vCash
    Amelie Loop Lacoste has the whole set of triples on paper. I don't think she is a good match but we have seen so many unmatched skaters pairing up because of that irrational thing called love.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I don't think she is a good match but we have seen so many unmatched skaters pairing up because of that irrational thing called love.
    Love can definitely make you overlook scratchy crossovers or bad jumping technique, but trying to lift an additional 25 lbs overhead would be pretty hard to ignore -and those dancing hearts can turn into stars of pain pretty quickly. Just sayin' .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Love can definitely make you overlook scratchy crossovers or bad jumping technique, but trying to lift an additional 25 lbs overhead would be pretty hard to ignore -and those dancing hearts can turn into stars of pain pretty quickly. Just sayin' .

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    (I assume) it is more challenging and potentially more dangerous when the man is the pairs newbie instead of the woman/girl.
    Absolutely, without question, times a million.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    In general, I suspect it's probably easier for a small-enough female singles skater to get up to speed on pair skills with an experienced male pair skater than it is for a male singles skater to get up to speed on pair skills with an experienced female pair skater
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Funny, I would think exactly the opposite. I think it is easier to throw someone on throw jumps, rather than being someone who is thrown into throw jump and is supposed to land it.
    In a way, you're both correct - but remember, there's a difference between learning pair elements and executing pair elements.

Think of it this way: the man serves as the foundation for all pair elements. Would you prefer that the foundation of your house was made of jello and the first floor of concrete, or that the foundation of your house was concrete and the first floor was jello? Obviously, you'd prefer to have both a solid foundation and first floor, but if your foundation is shaky, it doesn't matter how solid the first floor is: it will collapse.

Okay, now say that you have a solid concrete foundation and a solid first floor made with wood framing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, paint, appliances, and that dog filled with jello. Is is "harder" to be a concrete foundation or a complicated first floor? Certainly there is a lot more that can go wrong on the first floor - and if something goes wrong, like the refrigerator explodes with enough force that it shakes the house, the foundation provides the support to keep the house from shifting too much and falling down on the occupants.

In other words: it's much harder to learn the boy's role in pairs; the girl can't do much of anything unless the boy is serving as the foundation, and the boy needs to understand how to react when any of the 18 trillion things that can go wrong actually go wrong. That learning curve is difficult to rush. Once both skaters understand how to skate pairs, the boy's role is indeed less complex than the girl's: it is easier to throw someone than to be thrown, although when the boy messes up, he looks fine while his partner is sitting on the ice and everyone is saying Jane fell on the throw. (Good pair boys say: we fell on the throw. The best pair boys say: we fell on the throw, but Jane's the one with the bruise. I'm going to get her some ice.) However, if the boy doesn't know how to throw, the girl's ability to do the jump or throw doesn't matter: not only does the girl still need to execute her complex part of the throw, but first she also needs to correct for the boy's mistakes. (Exception: Juvenile Pairs where the boy takes his hands entirely off the girl and then she does the "throw" Axel, and he beams. I dare you to avoid smiling when that happens.)

Lifts and twists are serious, serious safety issues. There are so many components to a twist. As I said, part of the complexity here is understanding how to react to mistakes without overreacting. Pair boy's #1 job: keep his partner's head from hitting the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    That's my belief as well.

Where is 5Ali3 to give us the real scoop?
    Thanks for the thought!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    (Good pair boys say: we fell on the throw. The best pair boys say: we fell on the throw, but Jane's the one with the bruise. I'm going to get her some ice.)
    I want a "best pair boy" of my own! Although I have no pair boy to blame for my frequent falls on the ice.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Nice post, 5Ali3!

vCash
    According to this, the JSF is doing the tryout for Takahashi's new partner. A new team could be formed by the end of this month. Preferences are given to Japanese citizens.

vCash

The Japan Federation does special consideration for Narumi Takahashi

This is an article in “Jiji Press” in Japan
    Translating to English from Japanese.

16th January 2013, JST

In 16th January, Japan Skating Federation opened the board of directors in Tokyo Metropolitan area and approved that Narumi Takahashi of Pair who canceled a combination with Marvin Tran (Canada), remains as the certified player of JSF. She is demoted temporarily from the special certified player of the best rank of JSF, but as soon as a new partner is decided, she will be returned to the said rank.
    The search of the new partner for Takahashi is being proceeded with at present.
    Hidehito Ito, the director of figure skating of JSF suggested that selection of the personnel is being narrowed down, saying that they are proceeding so as to be able to release in the end of January or the head of February. Takahashi and Tran won the third place in the Worlds last season but canceled the Pair in December last year.

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2013011600887

"JSF treats Narumi Takahashi of Pair with golden handcuffs "
    This is an article in "Sports Nippon" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

JSF treats Narumi Takahashi of Pair with golden handcuffs
    Jan. 16, 2013, JST

On the board of directors on the 16th January, Japan Skating Federation approved the special treatment which Narumi Takahashi of Pair, who canceled the combination with Marvin Tran (Canada), is temporarily demoted to the certified player from the special certified player as the best rank of JSF but is returned to the special certified player as soon as her new partner is found out.

According to Hidetoshi Ito the director of figure skating of JSF, it says that they are doing a tryout so as to be able to release the forming of the new pair in the end of this month, too, if it is early.
    As for the selection of the personnel, they seem to give priority to the Japanese because it may be able to participate to the Sochi Olympics of next year.

“JSF treats Narumi Takahashi of Pair with golden handcuffs”
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...004992970.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 01-17-2013 at 04:33 AM.

vCash
    Very curious to see who's going to try-out with her. Who will be conducting the try-outs? Japanese pair coaches?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Japanese pair coaches?
    They don't exist at the moment.

vCash
    For a pairs lady and a single man with no prior pairs experience, what elements can they try out with?

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Off-ice and padded mats are your friends for these try-outs. Obviously, basic stroking, footwork, SBS jumps and spins are all fair game -and give you a good idea of how well matched your timing is.

vCash
    Physical strength and basic skills (skating, spins, jumps) are what they should examine. Takahashi wouldn't be able to resume training until February. So they can't see the matching at this point.

vCash
    Since JSF is not sending a pair to the world championships this year, does this mean they don't have anyone qualified for Sochi no matter what? Or can they have a pair qualified for the team competition only? I forgot...
    also, I don't understand why a strong and rich federation like the JSF does not do more to develop pairs and dance? More medals is better, right? Their ladies and men programs are pretty solid - you should think they could try and convince some non Japanese pairs coaches to come to Japan? Dance too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Since JSF is not sending a pair to the world championships this year, does this mean they don't have anyone qualified for Sochi no matter what? Or can they have a pair qualified for the team competition only?
    They can always try qualifying at the designated qualifying competition in the autumn. It's Nebelhorn this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    also, I don't understand why a strong and rich federation like the JSF does not do more to develop pairs and dance? More medals is better, right? Their ladies and men programs are pretty solid - you should think they could try and convince some non Japanese pairs coaches to come to Japan? Dance too?
    I'm no expert in the subject, but .... (1) When has the JSF ever encouraged foreigners to come work as coaches in Japan? (2) At least for pairs, you need to have men of a certain height and upper body strength.

If North Korea and China can produce male pair skaters, I suppose Japan can too, but it's not as if there is a ready supply of them in the Japanese skating system.

vCash
    I think ice time has also been mentioned as an issue.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Even if they don't have a team qualified in London or Nebelhorn, they can assign a team to the team event. That's one of the provisions in the Sochi announcement. Whether there will be TES minimums or whether the assigned skaters will be subject to them is TBD, and if they are, based on current championship rules, chances are they will be required by a date close to the start of the Olympics.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast