Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Thanks for the info, Sylvia. It seems to me that the possibility of a Jessica-Mervin union is becoming greater and greater.

Jessica is supposed to be with Wolfe still, though they have been very mysterious about why they have not been competing...other than getting a slow start

vCash
    You are right. Partnering with Jessica might not be a "long-term" solution. Gosh, I'm making Jessica sound like a grandma.
    I think Jessica is too big for Tran. Fell sad for Narumi and Marvin - they was great to watch team and they was so on in Nice.
    I think it will be hard for Marvin to find new patner. becasue he isnt tall enough

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Where did you read that they don't need the TES minimum for the team event?
    I was interpreting the rule that if a nation qualifies a team to the event without qualifying a corresponding skater in a specific discipline, they would still get to file an entry in that discipline for the team event only. I assumed not qualifying meant in both senses (not making the spots at Worlds or the designated senior B; not having a skater meet the Worlds minimum).

vCash
    Hm, that gave me a crazy idea: Amelie switching to pair skating. Will her height (5'1'') be a problem?
    I believe that Lacoste tried pairs skating a few years back. I want to say that she went to France, though I can't remember who she was with. I don't believe she liked skating pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emilieh View Post
    I believe that Lacoste tried pairs skating a few years back. I want to say that she went to France, though I can't remember who she was with. I don't believe she liked skating pairs.
    Maybe it would be different with her significant other? That said, I'd be surprised if she wanted to switch to pairs this late in her career.

Of the skaters suggested in this thread, my choice would be Natasha Purich. Young, tiny, talented, consistent triple toe and triple sal, and already trains with Bruno and Richard. She doesn't have the same elegance that Narumi did (Natasha's style is more perky) but could develop more in time. If that can't work out, there were number of other female pair skaters that I really liked from last year's Canadians and Challenge who are now partnerless - Julianne Seguin, Andrea Tou, Noemie Arsenault, Alexie Gelinas. But I'm not sure if any of the last three are still skating, and Julianne seems to be concentrating on singles. Even if they are interested, there are some drawbacks...Alexie and Andrea might both be too tall for Mervin and Julianne's lack of flexibility is a problem in the lifts.

Not a fan of the Jessica Dube suggestion. Mervin is still young, I'd like to see him with another younger skater who has got some attack and fight in her. I also agree that Jessica is too tall for Mervin.

vCash
    Purich is the right choice. I think Daleman would be an awesome match but she's got a great career in singles ahead of her and that doesn't happen enough in Canadian ladies, so we can't mess with that.

I'm told Chartrand is stronger than she looks so she could be a wild card if she's interested. But as we all know, the girl has to have a pairs mentality to make it work too (ie fearless)

I do like Arcieri. I think in time they could develop well. But, if they don't have a kick butt nationals and JWs I'm sure she'll be tempted to make the change. They're both in Montreal, too. Too easy. And with the points they'd both have and the dearth of strong pairs entries out there globally they'd probably end up on the senior GP next fall. Just sayin...

vCash
    ...and please...no more talk about Dube...for any reason...unless she announces her retirement. I have to say this girl could have really gone places in either singles or pairs. She has great skating skills and line...and can present herself very well if she puts her mind to it. I also feel bad for all the bumps she's taken along the way. But for whatever reason she didn't fulfill her potential. Full stop. It's over.

Lots to be excited about in all Canadian disciplines and a good group of younguns coming up. We can all now move on.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    And with the points they'd both have and the dearth of strong pairs entries out there globally they'd probably end up on the senior GP next fall. Just sayin...
    Under the current GP precedent, Tran and partner would get two assignments next season as a split couple because he placed in the Top 6 at 2012 Worlds. I wrote precedent, not rule, because the ISU left Split Couples out of this years GP Announcement -- they only address Returning Split Couples, who placed 7-12 in the last two WC's -- but Peng/Zhang, based on his 2011 Worlds results, received two off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I was interpreting the rule that if a nation qualifies a team to the event without qualifying a corresponding skater in a specific discipline, they would still get to file an entry in that discipline for the team event only. I assumed not qualifying meant in both senses (not making the spots at Worlds or the designated senior B; not having a skater meet the Worlds minimum).
    I think this is a stretch, but it is possible that they will explicitly state in next year's TES minimums announcement that there will be no minimums for the appointed skaters or for the Olympics at all.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Under the current GP precedent, Tran and partner would get two assignments next season as a split couple because he placed in the Top 6 at 2012 Worlds.
    That would only work if he and his new partner represented Japan. If he and his new partner don't represent Japan, he will have to sit out a year, won't he?

vCash
    He is already sitting out this year...
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    He is already sitting out this year...
    True, I didn't realise that they didn't do GP events.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They had to pull from everything this season, due to her injury. Their last international event was World Team Trophy in April 2012.

There's nothing in the documentation so far that says split couples have to compete for the same country as they did with old partners. I don't know if there's an IOC rule that forbids an athlete from competing if s/he's competed internationally for another country; if there is, the rule may not apply equally to all members of a team.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't know if there's an IOC rule that forbids an athlete from competing if s/he's competed internationally for another country; if there is, the rule may not apply equally to all members of a team.
    Athletes switch countries all the time. AFAIK, the only rules are (1) citizenship in the country the athlete represents and (2) eligibility under the applicable rules of the pertinent national and international federations. In Tran's case, this prevented him from representing Japan but won't prevent hm from representing Canada. All he needs is a partner, money, and a sufficiently high placement at Canadians in 2014. Of course, that's easier said than done, but it's a lot easier than becoming a Japanese citizen when you have never lived in Japan.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, they do switch, but I remember hearing some explanation during Athletics about a wait-out period to prevent "buying" athletes. (The ISU has a provision in Rule 109 about reserving the right to disallow the same, not just for the Olympics.). I'm just not sure what those rules are orif they've changed over the years.

ETA: The Kindle app is working again, so I could open up the Olympic Charter. The seemingly relevant part is the Chapter 41 bylaw:

A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.
    There were some references on the net to a two-year waiting period for the Winter Olympics, but that may have been specific to 1992 to 1994 to alter the Olympics from concurrent to alternating.

The scenario in the OC is when an athlete holds dual citizenship, but not specifically if the athlete competes for a country for which s/he doesn't have citizenship. However, this may apply, if it refers to the IF championships.

Furthermore, in all cases in which a competitor would be eligible to participate in the Olympic Games, either by representing another country than his or by having the choice as to the country which such competitor intends to represent, the IOC Executive Board may take all decisions of a general or individual nature with regard to issues resulting from nationality, citizenship, domicile or residence of any competitor, including the duration of any waiting period.
    It doesn't apply to anyone who gets a new citizenship after competing for the country under his or her old one. There's no waiting period there, but that doesn't apply to Tran.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-22-2012 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Would this have anything to do with the recent Japanese election in which there was a major shift in the balance of power? I remember that one of Japan's political parties supported the case of expediting Tran's citizenship.

vCash
    IIRC, it was the LDP that supported citizenship for Tran, and they just won the election.

I think this breakup will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I imagine that if Tran had somehow gotten Japanese citizenship, he would have had to renounce his Canadian citizenship which could have caused him all sorts of headaches in his later life after skating. I'm excited for him and his chances with any number of the possible partners mentioned here (my choice would be Purich)

vCash
    On a slightly lighter note, Mervin Tran tweeted this today:

@PairGirlProbz but on a serious note; if you have any 2 consistent triple (preferably not loop, my least fav, but I'll adjust). Message me.
    https://twitter.com/skate_moivo

vCash
    Wow, he has a 3Z and 3F?? Yikes...
    Daleman and Tran would be wicked.

I'm so 50-50 on that because I'd want to see her kick some hiney in singles. She and Osmond could start qualifying 3 women for Worlds sometime in the next cycle (yes, I'm getting so ahead of myself...leave me alone...heh)

vCash
    So since Mervin isn't a fan of the loop, that would rule out Amelie as a partner (not that she's likely interested in pairs anyway, but that would be the nail in the coffin).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    On a slightly lighter note, Mervin Tran tweeted this today:
    https://twitter.com/skate_moivo
    Work toward the iron lotus, oh boy. Best of luck to both Mervin and Narumi.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast