Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jessica Dubé/Sébastien Wolfe haven't competed since 2012 Worlds. We're waiting to see if they will make their season debut at 2013 Canadians.
    They are listed in the starting order for Canadians (just published). Glad to see it, and hope they are healthy.

vCash
    Not that it matters what I think, but I would prefer to see Tran with a younger partner with less baggage. Given the pairs in Canada, 2014 is out for a new pair, but 2018 is certainly doable. That would give the partnership 5 years to prepare and build a reputation.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I love Mervin Tran. Hopefully he finds a new partner ASAP.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    He didn't turn down skating pairs for Canada....he was a singles skater in Regina, Saskatchewan, and Richard Gauthier approached him to try pairs because Bruno Marcotte had noticed Mervin and thought he might look good with Narumi, who had already approached Richard to coach her. Mervin went to Montreal for a try-out (apparently because he thought a trip to Montreal would be fun, according to an interview), enjoyed the whole thing, and agreed to skate pairs with Narumi (for Japan).
    Yes, I understand all that. My point is that he didn't turn down a Canadian Pairs partner to skate for Japan instead -- either as a newbie or someone in whom Skate Canada had invested -- so there should be no hard feelings from Skate Canada, which is what I though skatinginbc was suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Gifted male pairs skaters from Canada aren't all that rare...(well, yeah, compared to gifted Russian male pairs skaters they're rare, but not compared to male pairs skaters overall).
    World and Olympic medalist Canadian Pairs men are, and it would be silly not to find a way to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    He represented Japan = He didn't participate in the Canadian national. I simply assumed that in order to receive funding, he has to participate in the national and meet a certain placement requirement. I don't think he will be able to compete without a partner at this year's national. That's why I asked the question: "Will that be a factor regarding funding and other supports?" I asked because I don't know.
    Presumably having not received funding from Skate Canada, there will be no change in his funding from Skate Canada, but he won't have his training subsidized by the Japanese Federation. Whether he can afford to continue in Pairs without finding a partner who subsidizes him is another issue.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    World and Olympic medalist Canadian Pairs men are, and it would be silly not to find a way to make it work.
    Skate Canada might be silly enough not to do what it take to make it work, but I'm sure that Richard Gauthier and Bruno Marcotte will do what it takes to find him a worthy partner and make it work. I submit the case of Duhamel/Radford as evidence of that. Skate Canada didn't seem to realize what a gem they had in Eric Radford, and seemed quite ready to let him go off into retirement as a partnerless pairs skater after his season with Anne-Marie Giroux. Richard Gauthier and Bruno Marcotte, on the other hand, saw his potential (and also realized Duhamel's potential), and insisted that Duhamel/Radford try out together.

(At least that's my conclusion based on comments from Duhamel/Radford interviews in which they tallk about their beginnings as a pair team).

vCash
    Skate Canada takes a passive role in the pairing up of pairs and ice dance teams. It was very well detailed in "The Second Mark", the book about the 2002 pairs event. In Canada, it's up to the skaters and their coaches to take the initiative. I don't know why it should be any other way.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Skate Canada might be silly enough not to do what it take to make it work, but I'm sure that Richard Gauthier and Bruno Marcotte will do what it takes to find him a worthy partner and make it work. I submit the case of Duhamel/Radford as evidence of that. Skate Canada didn't seem to realize what a gem they had in Eric Radford, and seemed quite ready to let him go off into retirement as a partnerless pairs skater after his season with Anne-Marie Giroux. Richard Gauthier and Bruno Marcotte, on the other hand, saw his potential (and also realized Duhamel's potential), and insisted that Duhamel/Radford try out together.

(At least that's my conclusion based on comments from Duhamel/Radford interviews in which they tallk about their beginnings as a pair team).
    You are absolutely right. Skate Canada could make lemonade into the white, pithy parts of lemons. Gauthier and Marcotte, though, are amazing at what they do and what they see.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Skate Canada takes a passive role in the pairing up of pairs and ice dance teams. It was very well detailed in "The Second Mark", the book about the 2002 pairs event. In Canada, it's up to the skaters and their coaches to take the initiative. I don't know why it should be any other way.
    Yes, and I would assume it's the same in the USA. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

vCash
    a bummer, they were very promising skaters
    calling Tran for USA now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    a bummer, they were very promising skaters
    calling Tran for USA now
    The US would certainly benefit, but I don't see why he'd want to put himself into another situation where citizenship is an issue. He should be looking to 2018, and the clearest way would be through Canada. Not to mention he's in a relationship with Amelie Lacoste and unlikely to wish to relocate from Montreal, especially if he's been happy with Gauthier/Marcotte.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    I wonder if anyone one know an average time-frame to 'convert' from male single skating to pairs? I have seen girls manage this transition in less than a year on a number of occasions, but the only male skater I can think of is Ivan Bich, who used to be a Junior-level single skater and now competes with Kamilla Gainetdinova in Junior Pairs. I think it took him about a year as well (she did not have any prior experience in Pairs, either). Their pair elements are not outstanding at this point, but they do complete them. And they are 'the other' team to do side-by-side triple Lutzes in competition.

I am just curious, if a potential goal of having a Japanese pair skating team is at all reachable at this stage, even provided that the JSF would persuade any of their numerous male single skaters to switch and team up with Takahashi.
    I'd say about a year is a reasonable time frame. Morgan Cipres switched from male singles to partner Vanessa James around September 2010 - they didn't compete at all that season, but in the 2011-12 season they finished 6th at Europeans and 15th at Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TKp47mM8tRg
    This is an exhibition they did after about 4 months together, to give you an idea of the rate of progression.

If Narumi could find a Japanese guy willing to switch to pairs within the next month or so, I think there would be a reasonable chance they could be ready for next season. Nowhere near the level she was at with Mervin of course, but enough to at least complete the pair elements.
    Last edited by morqet; 12-20-2012 at 12:39 PM.

vCash
    Let's not forget that Morgan Cipres was a junior single skater, so one could assume that if Narumi found a senior single partner, it could be slightly quicker.

vCash
    I'm of the opinion that there will be a line up of available Canadian women who would love a try-out with him. The sooner the better.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The problem here, is that Narumi's weakest elements are her jumps. They've always scored well because of the twist, lifts and spirals. Which depended strongly on Mervin's skills. Skills that take a lot of time to perfect and someone new to pairs is very unlikely to have by the Olympics, which I assume is the issue for Japan if they want someone in the team competition. Making the TES minimum will be a challenge. Not impossible, but highly improbable. But, predicting the future is a fool's game and maybe things will work out for her.
    Do we know if they need to meet the TES minimum to compete in the team event only?

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Not that it matters what I think, but I would prefer to see Tran with a younger partner with less baggage.
    And possibly one that is a little more lively...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    And possibly one that is a little more lively...
    If we're only going for a little more lively, I think the good majority of pairs girls would qualify

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Not to mention he's in a relationship with Amelie Lacoste.
    Hm, that gave me a crazy idea: Amelie switching to pair skating. Will her height (5'1'') be a problem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Shittity Shit. They were my favourite couple after Savchenko/Szolkowy.
    Exactly my sentiment.

Beautiful team. Best constructed programs hands down, always well presented. They will be missed.

I wonder whether Takahashi already has somebody lined up or whether given she is out for a year anyway, she is going to search for other partners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    If we're only going for a little more lively, I think the good majority of pairs girls would qualify
    Maintain low standards and you will never be disappointed!

vCash
    No, they don't need the TES minimum for the team event.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Where did you read that they don't need the TES minimum for the team event?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast