Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 201
  1. #1
    living every minute
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lost in voidy awe!
    Posts
    9,075
    vCash
    300
    Rep Power
    182

    Takahashi & Tran split

    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/all/he...do_sp-spo.html

    Takahashi, world bronze figure set pair resolution Tran18, Japan Skating Federation announced the pair (22) = Canada = was solved a combination network Kinoshita (20) = Narumi Takahashi, Marvin Tran of last season's World Championships bronze medal in pairs figure skating. Intends to continue the competition Both players, look for a new partner.
     towards the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics organization is adopted for the first time, Tran was seeking to acquire Japanese citizenship, had been living in Japan difficulty without a proven track record. According to officials, nationality problem is that it is not the only reason.
     We have issued a statement through the federation "in recent years, from an aggressive feeling so I passed from the discrepancy of thoughts on the competition, continue to love skating, decided to eliminate the pair" Takahashi said.
     Tran and formed a duo in 2007, Takahashi born in Chiba Prefecture, won the first medal of the Olympics as a representative of Japan, including the pair at the World Championships in March this year. Such as left shoulder surgery in October Takahashi, this season has been away from the game. [17:04 December 18, 2012 Kyodo News]

    ETA: the translation seems to mix up some lines and is very unclear. Seems from Takahashi's tweets that it was her idea.
    Last edited by Mevrouw; 12-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

  2. #2
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,034
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    42821
    What a shame.

    That translation is very hard to figure out, but this seems like the underlying statement is wrong:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    .....Takahashi born in Chiba Prefecture, won the first medal of the Olympics as a representative of Japan.....
    Seems like the author confused her with Daisuke.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0


    So, if both are looking for a new partner... than we assume that Takahashi will look for a partner who is either Japanese, or one that has a shot at Japanese citizenship (though, the latter doesn't sound hopeful to me if Tran didn't get citizenship in this case). And Mervin Tran would be most likely to look for a partner in Canada.

    I enjoyed them together especially when they were *on*. Best wishes to them both!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2417
    That’s unfortunate. They were lovely to watch. But, on the positive side, Mervin can now find a nice Canadian girl to skate with. Let the partner speculating begin!
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This also could have interesting (perhaps even detrimental) implications for Japan in the team event at Sochi... if Takahashi doesn't have a partner in a timely manner.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    What a shame.

    That translation is very hard to figure out, but this seems like the underlying statement is wrong:

    Seems like the author confused her with Daisuke.
    I posted a quick translation of a similar, albeit slightly differently worded newsbit here:

    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...updates/page27

    I went through it quickly but my understanding is that they imply that it was Japan's first medal in a major competiton (worlds + olympics)

    I let someone completely fluent correct me if I'm wrong though

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post


    So, if both are looking for a new partner... than we assume that Takahashi will look for a partner who is either Japanese, or one that has a shot at Japanese citizenship (though, the latter doesn't sound hopeful to me if Tran didn't get citizenship in this case). And Mervin Tran would be most likely to look for a partner in Canada.

    I enjoyed them together especially when they were *on*. Best wishes to them both!
    The reason why they declined giving him the citizenship is because he had no record of living in Japan (if I remember correctly, you need to have lived at least 5 years there to even enter into consideration for citizenship). So that means she could skate with a foreigner....as long as they've lived in Japan for 5+ years and they are ready to renounce their original citizenship (you cannot have dual citizenship as Japanese from the moment you're an adult - although I think children can until 18 or 20.....)
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 12-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13,377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3763
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    This also could have interesting (perhaps even detrimental) implications for Japan in the team event at Sochi... if Takahashi doesn't have a partner in a timely manner.
    No detriment there since there was so little realistic chance of Tran getting the Japanese citizenship needed in time to be eligible for Sochi in the first place.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35510
    NOOOOOOOOO!!! This is not a good day.....confirmation of Kaitlyn's injury(I had been hoping it was just a rumor or that it my turn out to be a sprain rather than a broken bone), and now this news??? I loved these two

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    No detriment there since there was so little realistic chance of Tran getting the Japanese citizenship needed in time to be eligible for Sochi in the first place.
    Ah -- good correction. I've had it stuck in my brain since their Worlds medal that there'd be someway for Tran to get citizenship and thus they'd be there at the Olympics regardless.

  10. #10
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,214
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    42549
    I'm not the least bit surprised as those who understand Japanese citizenship have repeatedly said it would be virtually impossible for him to get citizenship. I am a bit surprised that it was her idea. The odds of her finding a quality male pair skater in Japan are much less than him finding a Canadian woman, albeit he is on the short side. He's an excellent skater and I'm certain there is a partner out there for him.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    428
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'm not the least bit surprised as those who understand Japanese citizenship have repeatedly said it would be virtually impossible for him to get citizenship. I am a bit surprised that it was her idea. The odds of her finding a quality male pair skater in Japan are much less than him finding a Canadian woman, albeit he is on the short side. He's an excellent skater and I'm certain there is a partner out there for him.
    It could be possible JSF already has someone in mind for her, hopefully.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    7,797
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4937
    Is Julianne Seguin still looking to skate pairs or since she's doing well in singles has given that up? She could be a possibility for Tran.

    Hopefully they'll be someone new for both Takahashi & Tran to skate with in the coming months.

  13. #13
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,214
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    42549
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    It could be possible JSF already has someone in mind for her, hopefully.
    They may have someone, but I sincerely doubt they are the quality of skater as Mervin Tran. Pairs skating isn't all that popular in Japan. Moreover, she's the weaker partner in the pairing anyway. The odds of any new partner and Takahashi making the top 10 at Worlds or the Olympics are very small. He would have much better odds in Canada, even with the quality of pairs skating in Canada at present. And by that I mean, Canada has some very good pairs teams going into Worlds and the Olympics.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Tran is such a strong pair skater. He will attract a lot of interest...even from American skaters. What's the status of Andrea Poapst for example?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Andrea Poapst has Canadian citizenship. I believe she is still looking for a partner.

    Mervin Tran tweeted today:
    Now that the cat is out of the bag. I want to say that I hate cats and this is not what I was shopping for. But Narumi has decided, its over

    Thank you to all/Minasan, arigato gozaimashita. I will miss competing with Narumi for Japan. It was a great experience.
    Photo he tweeted: https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/stat...135361/photo/1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Aren't Mervin Tran and Rockne Brubaker about the same height -- the ball park of 5'9" or 1.75 M?

    (I haven't seen them side-by-side, and the reliability of the ISU bios / etc. is always questionable for heights).

    If so, Mervin's selection may somewhat be limited by his height.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    428
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    They may have someone, but I sincerely doubt they are the quality of skater as Mervin Tran. Pairs skating isn't all that popular in Japan. Moreover, she's the weaker partner in the pairing anyway. The odds of any new partner and Takahashi making the top 10 at Worlds or the Olympics are very small. He would have much better odds in Canada, even with the quality of pairs skating in Canada at present. And by that I mean, Canada has some very good pairs teams going into Worlds and the Olympics.
    No question about that - she won't find anyone on the same level as Mervin. Unfortunately I think JSF wants to have at least some team at Olympics as opposed to none at all to have a chance to even enter the team competition. Even if the pair will be weak, their singles are strong. I don't think they care about the results in pairs discipline.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Aren't Mervin Tran and Rockne Brubaker about the same height -- the ball park of 5'9" or 1.75 M?

    (I haven't seen them side-by-side, and the reliability of the ISU bios / etc. is always questionable for heights).

    If so, Mervin's selection may somewhat be limited by his height.
    Yes and yes. It's easy to assume Mervin is taller than Rockne because Narumi is so tiny.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If the federation said "nationality problem is that it is not the only reason" I wonder what their other reasoning is?

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Islands in the Stream
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Is Katherine Bobak still skating?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •