Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    double post

vCash
    I have lost faith in this show. The new itunes rule was implemented this season to allow a guaranteed win for Casadee. I think they already know before the live show that Casadee is the most downloaded contestant on the show. This win is worse than any Idol win (okay, maybe almost as bad as when Lee Dwyze won) considering that the winner was far less superior than the 2nd and 3rd place winner. I hope I will never have to listen to Casadee again.

vCash
    Brrrrrrrr. I hate that win. She's forgettable to say the least.
    ichoOn a glory note, Nicholas was fantastic !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I don't have a problem with her winning because of itunes. Even if she wasn't my favorite, clearly a lot of people were willing to spend money on her music. That's the point of a music career. Fans of Nick and Terry just didn't do the same or they could have won. She's been in the top 10 every week. I don't get the snarkage on that. I think that's a fair system. I don't like a lot of singers who have platinum record sales, but somebody does and that makes their label happy.

Nick would never have even been given a chance on Idol. They wouldn't have looked past his appearance, but the Voice did. The show is about opportunity. All of the contestants who make the live shows have an opportunity. What happens next is part luck, part talent and having a good agent to help secure the right deals.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post

I was comparing her to Taylor Swift, just as rjblue was, but for different reasons. Taylor exploits how mean boys and men are to her in order to promote her career. Cassadee has a variety of sob stories herself. She really, really rubs me the wrong way and not just because she comes across as karaoke Avril with a voice that should not represent a show called "The Voice."

People are always stripping the bitterness out of "Time of Your Life."
    It isn't actually called "Time of Your Life." It's called "Good Riddance."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    I have lost faith in this show. The new itunes rule was implemented this season to allow a guaranteed win for Casadee. I think they already know before the live show that Casadee is the most downloaded contestant on the show. This win is worse than any Idol win (okay, maybe almost as bad as when Lee Dwyze won) considering that the winner was far less superior than the 2nd and 3rd place winner. I hope I will never have to listen to Casadee again.
    I don't particulary like Cassadee either but if she's the most downloaded, doesn't that mean that more people like her than Nick or Terry? The problem with most of these reality winners is that no one really buys them so they fizzle out. Cassadee proved that people will buy her music. So your contestant didn't win? I guess that proves this contest was fixed.

vCash
    I thought the singing for the last 2-3 episodes of The Voice was absolutely horrendous, but all we heard from the judges were how great the talents were. These finalists would not make it far on other talent shows like AI, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I thought the singing for the last 2-3 episodes of The Voice was absolutely horrendous, but all we heard from the judges were how great the talents were. These finalists would not make it far on other talent shows like AI, for example.
    I'm not so sure about that. The last few seasons of AI haven't had that much in the way of star talent. As for AI itself, both Terry and Nick are over the age limit, so they wouldn't have gotten on the show. Caassaaddee would have made Top-24 and would have had to fight it out with 7 other pretty girls who can sorta sing.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    It isn't actually called "Time of Your Life." It's called "Good Riddance."
    Exactly. But people call it "Time of Your Life," stripping some of the bitterness out of it. They think it's a purely happy song about reminiscing about great times.

As for the ITunes downloads, I have a few problems with it. First, my understanding is that they only multiply the downloads if you're in the top ten. If you're in the top eleven, you're out of luck, scewing the results. Second, ITunes downloads as votes don't always translate into commerical success. There are some people who still buy CDs or who buy their digital music from other sources. Third, we all know that people buy songs during these voting shows that they never would buy in real life. How many of the people who bought Cassadee's songs on ITunes would have bought those songs if they had just heard her sing it at the end of Leno? So, I would prefer that they give some credit to ITunes downloads -- even more than an online vote - but not so much, especially just for placing in the top ten.

vCash
    I think that the iTunes bonus is a good thing, but should be extended to all iTunes purchases, not just top 10.

Where I think Cassadee was locked in as the winner was when they made the last minute announcement that there was only going to be one singer dropped from the semi-final round instead of the two that were supposed to have been dropped. With two dropped, either Terry, or more likely, Nicholas would have left with Trevin, leaving Cassadee to battle it out in the final with Terry. Terry's ability to get votes was pretty strong by that point, and with Nicholas out of the picture, it might have been conceivable that he could have won. Keeping all three of them in pretty much guaranteed a Cassadee win, which is surely what the producers wanted. But, other than Blake's choices for Cassadee, I thought that the other coaches have made pretty bad choices in these past few weeks. (Of course, so did the producers who treated us to a re-run of songs we'd heard the previous night.)

I'd guess that out of this whole batch of singers, Amanda Brown could end up with a strong career. Maybe Cassadee if she goes semi-country; she really paled next to Lavigne and Rhianna voice-wise. I can totally see Terry fronting either a cover band or stepping in as the lead singer to a past-great band that has lost its own lead singer. Very curious to see whether Nicholas is able to push through to an album; I'd buy it. Melanie seemed to inspire either great fans or sincere haters; that's probably ok if she goes the indie route. She certainly marches to the beat of her own drummer. De'borah remains a mystery -- I really wish Christina had kept her on. And I'm still really sad not to have heard more from Nicole Nelson -- now that woman has a voice.

I'm looking forward to next season. I've heard Usher sing, but I'm unfamiliar with Shakira. (Or if I am familiar, I don't know that she was the one singing.) But, no idea what either of them are like personality-wise. It would be funny if one of the blind auditioners (?) chose "Total Eclipse of the Heart" as the audition song.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with Shakira. (Or if I am familiar, I don't know that she was the one singing.) But, no idea what either of them are like personality-wise.
    Hips Don't Lie ring a bell? I like Shakira better when she sings in Spanish. She's got adequate pipes, but not nearly the range of Xtina and does know how to put on a good show. She'll be one of those "I know what I like when I hear it", but may not be have the technical language to help a contestant fix a problem. JMO
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Shakira has also been a popular source for skating exhibitions from time to time:

Denkova and Staviski

Maria Butryskaya
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thanks, Garden Kitty. Can't remember hearing this before, but fun to see Denkova and Staviski at their prime again. Aceon6 -- guess my daughter left Hips Don't Lie out of my musical education. (Having just seen the video, I think I'm rather glad she's more a Iron & Wine fan.)

Too bad Nicholas didn't try for an Iron & Wine song; I think he could have done well with one.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    It's quite funny that they paired Cassadee with Avril for a duet. Is that a commentary on Cassadee's actual vocal talent? They should've added Taylor Swift to the stage. (I like both Avril and Taylor, but live vocals are not their strong suit)
    Lol! I said "oh good, this will blend well, who can be more flat?, where is Taylor Swift" when they came on.

To me, Cassaddee belonged on Idol or XFactor. The Voice, they had good options: Nick, Terry, Amanda, or even Trevin (though he needed some maturing).
    Last edited by Rob; 12-20-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Nick would never have even been given a chance on Idol. They wouldn't have looked past his appearance, but the Voice did.
    Yes, Nicky is not a looker like that AI babe, Clay Aiken.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Clay had youth and a geeky adorable factor (at least the women and girls adored him) on his side when he was on AI. I can't say that Nick has either of those qualities on his side. When you're young and dorky it's considered cute. When you're old and dorky it's considered "Ewwww".

vCash
    When they cleaned Nick up he was normal looking. He would look even better clean shaven & with his hair trimmed. I like long hair but his wasn't cool. Clay looked much better when they cleaned him up but adorable is really a stretch. I thought he was pretty unattractive. Not that I care because I really don't like his voice either. I preferred Ruben.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Hips Don't Lie ring a bell? I like Shakira better when she sings in Spanish. She's got adequate pipes, but not nearly the range of Xtina and does know how to put on a good show. She'll be one of those "I know what I like when I hear it", but may not be have the technical language to help a contestant fix a problem. JMO
    Shakira has had extensive musical training and she writes most of her own songs. I would be shocked if she didn't know the technical language. She's not any worse than Blake. Sorry, he's a nice guy, but he's better suited for songwriting and letting his wife do the heavy lifting vocally. I think what makes the judges on the voice work is not their vocal ability, though it does help with credibility, it's that all of them have either the sole hand or a pretty heavy hand (Xtina) in the song writing process for their own albums.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234