Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    I'm mixed on the result-- I have been waiting for Miss USA to win again, but I think that Olivia was one of our weaker candidates in a while. Her gown was a great choice given the Christmas theme of the pageant and that she popped against the other finalists. She was good in all phases of the competition, but nothing was particularly amazing. I do think that she cheated a bit in swimsuit-- she was already down the steps when they called her name. The 'judging' didn't include her steps walk, which I think is super important.

Did anybody else notice how completely out of place Miss Denmark was? It was as if the poor girl had never put pumps on before. I was sad for Miss South Africa because she was the favorite, and I was even more sad for Miss Spain who didn't even make the top 16 and should be wearing the Miss Universe crown right now. (If not her, then Miss Hungary!!!)
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Agree Jayar! I was so surprised a fan favorite like South Africa didn't at least make top 5. I thought Miss Spain, as well as Miss Puerto Rico were strong candidates that were overlooked as well. I loved Olivia at Miss USA, and initially thought she would be a strong candidate, I feel she was a bit of a let down. She's stunning, and has a great body, but didn't bring any of the personality or sparkle she had at USA. And that's aside from the little mistakes she made. Even though it's not as popular as it once was, I'm still looking forward to the Miss America Pageant this January. It just has a more genuine feel than any of Donald Trump's rigged contests.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Marissa Castelli has tweeted to say that even though Miss USA goes to BU, she's originally from Marissa's home town in Rhode Island.
    Wasn't she Miss Rhode Island at the Miss USA pagent?

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I didn't watch the pageant, but if she could only become Miss USA by moving to another state that isn't exactly a Miss USA powerhouse...maybe the judges at Miss California had the right idea.
    The Duschenays moved France, and they became World Champions and Olympic medalists, so it's not always because of a lack of talent, just what a particular hierarchy is looking for.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I think Miss USA almost needs to be Superwoman for folks to think the contest was not rigged. She needs to be at least ten times better than the other contestants and I don't think we will ever see that. I thought Phillipines had it in the bag to tell you the truth but I liked Miss USA too. It is just that she wasn't a megawatt candidate when an acceptable USA win requires such a woman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Wasn't she Miss Rhode Island at the Miss USA pagent?
    Yes.

The Duschenays moved France, and they became World Champions and Olympic medalists, so it's not always because of a lack of talent, just what a particular hierarchy is looking for.
    Well, she was FROM Maryland, and competed in the California system because she was going to college and then lived here for a while. The competition in CA is CRAZY tough, so I don't blame her for going back home to try there. She won, and then beat Miss California at the USA pageant, so it's not like she's weak (she was 1st runner up, and is now Miss USA). I think that she just wasn't what CA was looking for. We typically go for blondes for some reason.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    I guess I'm the only one who liked Olivia's gown--I thought it was stunning!
    As did I.
    Olivia is elegant and has a regal quality which is rarely seen in pageant contestants anymore.

I dislike the trend toward bodysuits with high-slit skirts as "evening gowns".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I think Miss USA almost needs to be Superwoman for folks to think the contest was not rigged. She needs to be at least ten times better than the other contestants and I don't think we will ever see that. I thought Phillipines had it in the bag to tell you the truth but I liked Miss USA too. It is just that she wasn't a megawatt candidate when an acceptable USA win requires such a woman.

I personally think Miss USA is in the top tier of beauty and physique for this contest, but she was just "off" last night. If she had a night like she did at Miss USA, I don't think as many people would be claiming it's rigged.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Olivia kept the same gown from preliminaries (last Thursday) considering the opinions were so divided even then. Some of the others (Venezuela) changed their gown for finals.
    And was that a good idea?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think USA is stunning and but I thought Philippines was ON and should've won.

My crackpot theory is next year they probably won't have Miss Universe so late and will be back to the summer or pre-fall slot, which means a much shorter reign for this year's winner. Since Olivia is already pretty much moved in and living the winner's life through Miss USA somewhat it wouldn't be too much of a let down compare to other girls.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I agree that Olivia didn't have the mega-wattage of someone like the winner in 2006. I remember her well because I picked her as a winner as soon as I saw her.

What she does have is understated elegance (as much as a red full-skirted ball gown can be called understated). I just love the combination of long sleeves and full back coverage with the plunging neckline.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    An interesting yahoo article:
    No one was more surprised than Culpo's family when told them she was entering the Miss Rhode Island contest last year, her father Peter recalled.
    "We didn't know a thing about pageants," he said.
    She won that contest in a rented $20 dress with a hole in it and then began working out, dieting, and studying current events on flashcards to compete for the Miss USA crown.
    I guess you can't buy the judges' love.

the rest is here http://omg.yahoo.com/news/miss-usa-o...030753544.html

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I must be in the minority. I did not like Miss USA at all. In the past I thought many Miss USA's were good enough to win the crown, but they did not. Finally a Miss USA wins but I cannot feel happy about it because I feel she does not deserve it. I really liked Miss Philippines. She was elegant, smart, and natural. The worst thing about Miss USA was not her gown (I don't think the gown should get a whole lot of importance), but the way she answered that last question. Only Miss Venezuela was worse (why did she not speak her own language is beyond me; she clearly did not know English that well).

Rant over.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I would agree that Alyssa Campanella is more striking.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I would agree that Alyssa Campanella is more striking.
    Agree. I was surprised she didn't at least make top 10 last year. I think Olivia is stunning, but her type of beauty is not as unique as Alyssa's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Agree. I was surprised she didn't at least make top 10 last year. I think Olivia is stunning, but her type of beauty is not as unique as Alyssa's.
    Had the SS competition been later in the competition, she would have advanced. She could have won evening gown-- her best section of the event, but SS was her worst. She admitted after that she loses weight really quickly, and she and the pageant folks knew that she was in trouble because they couldn't get weight on her. She was skeletal in the pageant, and that's what killed her shot. Had she had 5-7 more pounds on her body, she would have been Miss Universe (IMO).

The pageant was so late because the Dominican Republic backed out late in the game, and they had to find a new venue. It will likely be in September again next year.

BTW, I don't really like Miss USA this year either (Olivia)-- she wasn't my pick to make the top 16, and the fact that she won makes others who didn't win seem less fantastic. She NEVER would have held up against Alyss, Rachel Smith, or even Tara Conner. And she's not even in the same world as Shandi Finnessey, who is by far the most fantastic 1st runner up in the history of the pageant (Miss Australia, Jennifer Hawkins is one of the BEST winners ever, IMHO). I will go back to what I hold to be true-- the best competitor in the top 5 was Miss Philippines followed by Miss Australia. I think that Miss South Africa was robbed of being in the top five by Miss Colombia, and I think that she suffered by Miss Angola winning the year prior (They didn't want another African). I also think that Miss Hungary was far underrated, but not nearly as badly as Miss Spain who should have been in the running to win the entire thing. Trump needs to go-- he's making a mockery of the pageant.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Jennifer Hawkins is one of my least favorite winners. Miss South Africa this year was not so great either. But agree on Spain, she should have made it farther.

This is my impression of both Leila Lopez and Olivia Culpo: both very pretty but also seem approachable and nice. That may or may not be true but that's the vibe I get. Not sultry but sweet--perhaps a new direction for the pageant? I also agree that Alyssa Campanella has more Miss Universe qualities than Olivia but don't recall the SS competition incident.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I disagreed with Jennifer Hawkins' Miss Universe win that night. Shandi was phenomenal in all phases of the competition, much like this year's Miss Philippines. However, Jennifer went on to become one of (if not THE) best MU's in recent history. I believe Olivia Culpo can do the same.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I lose sight of them after the competition. Why was Hawkins such a good MU?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    when has the final answer, in terms of what they actually say, mattered? you can give a "perfect" answer, but they take an overall approach when all is said and done. i was rooting for the runner up because i know how much the title would have meant to the phillipines. it would have been huge. but i noticed that miss usa was different, from her answer to her dress to her hair. everyone else looked pageant pretty and spoke like true pageant queens, but she looked and talked differently. hard to pin it down to articulate it but i wasn't too surprized to see that she ultimately won it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Perhaps it's because she is new to the pageant scene and is fresher, in a way?

from Speedy Death

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast