Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think the worst thing with this schedule is that the junior and novice won't be able to watch the seniors compete live. There is nothing better than watching it live and the jr and nov will be at home training or traveling while the sr compete. It's so inspiring for the lower levels to see the seniors compete. I really hope this is a one time thing while they celebrate the 100th anniversary in the city that hosted the first Nationals in 1914. Hopefully next year will go back to the normal schedule of nov & jr followed by sr and a gala with the champions from nov & jr skating in the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by googooeyes View Post
    I heard that the Canadian Tire Centre is only available from the Thursday to the Wednesday. Skate Canada didn't want to have the senior competition in the middle of the week finishing on Wednesday, so to get the seniors on the weekend, they had to go first. it likely means the juniors won't be in the gala but who knows.
    The rationale listed in the mag is the change for this year will give the senior competitors "additional preparation time after qualifying to represent Canada and go for the gold!". Who knows?

Personally, I kind of like it as a one time thing. The junior pairs SP is one of the first events of the competition and I usually miss it. It'll be nice to catch it this year.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I also heard that an earlier option that would have allowed for a traditional schedule would have involved the younger kids (who usually travel with their families) having to travel during the New Year's holidays. That would have made the trips more expensive for a lot of the competitors and families, especially the ones that will fly to Ottawa. In order to push the event back from the holidays at a time when they could have the arena for the week, they decided to flip the events around. I was told that it was only for this year.

I imagine that some of the novices & juniors will come early enough to catch the senior free skates on Saturday, since official practices will start on Sunday.

vCash
    These tickets are going on sale on October 4th (all event packages). Recently, I visited this arena for a concert, with my elderly mother. I bought seats close to the floor, a few rows up, thinking that there wouldn't be many stairs to climb. However, the only entrance is apparently from the concourse above, so we had to go down 20 - 30 stairs to get to our seats. There are NO railings at all for support, just open stairways. My mom, who walks with a cane, was not able to negotiate these herself, and needed quite a bit of assistance from staff to get seated. When I inquired about more accessible seating, thinking ahead to these Championships, I was told that the only accessible seating was on the 300 level. For a figure skating competition, this seems unacceptable. Who is going to want to sit in the balcony? Just wondering if anyone has any further insight into the seating in this venue.....my mom and I have travelled to many arenas and have never run into this problem before. At the GPF in Quebec City a couple of years ago, we were moved from our row S seats down to a row D seat with an accessible entrance from ice level. At Worlds in London, we had row B with an accessible entrance from ice level. I would hope that the Canadian Tire Centre will have some sort of accomodations in place for those with limited mobility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    These tickets are going on sale on October 4th (all event packages). Recently, I visited this arena for a concert, with my elderly mother. I bought seats close to the floor, a few rows up, thinking that there wouldn't be many stairs to climb. However, the only entrance is apparently from the concourse above, so we had to go down 20 - 30 stairs to get to our seats. There are NO railings at all for support, just open stairways. My mom, who walks with a cane, was not able to negotiate these herself, and needed quite a bit of assistance from staff to get seated. When I inquired about more accessible seating, thinking ahead to these Championships, I was told that the only accessible seating was on the 300 level. For a figure skating competition, this seems unacceptable. Who is going to want to sit in the balcony? Just wondering if anyone has any further insight into the seating in this venue.....my mom and I have travelled to many arenas and have never run into this problem before. At the GPF in Quebec City a couple of years ago, we were moved from our row S seats down to a row D seat with an accessible entrance from ice level. At Worlds in London, we had row B with an accessible entrance from ice level. I would hope that the Canadian Tire Centre will have some sort of accomodations in place for those with limited mobility.
    Ask them if they have wheel chair seating, that is often on the concrourse around the area and might have better seats.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    Sadly, the woman on the phone reiterated what I was told in July - for rink events, there is no wheelchair or accessible seating in the 100 level at all. The best she could suggest was to purchase a seat in row R, which would only require 4 or 5 steps down. There are specific sections in the 200 and 300 levels that are designated for wheelchairs or those who require accessiblity. I won't say she was rude, but she was not very helpful and told me she wasn't even aware of the ticket sale scheduled for October 4th. I told her that perhaps she should alert someone to the influx of requests they will be getting shortly.

vCash
    The competition schedule has been released:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/...chedule-EN.pdf

vCash
    this is really an unfortunate schedule. The Junior and Novice skaters and families would probably stay home and opt to train right up until Sunday/Monday which takes away that whole part of the audience and doesn't give them a chance to experience the Senior competitions. Plus they wont get to take part in banquet or the winners skate in gala.

vCash
    I plan on buying tickets on Friday. I looked at a seating chart but couldn't find one specific to this event. Does anyone know what side judges will be on?

vCash
    Has there been any mention of a pre-sale for members? (I am one, I just haven't seen anything yet and normally there is.)

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    this is really an unfortunate schedule. The Junior and Novice skaters and families would probably stay home and opt to train right up until Sunday/Monday which takes away that whole part of the audience and doesn't give them a chance to experience the Senior competitions. Plus they wont get to take part in banquet or the winners skate in gala.
    With the facilities currently available for this event being shared by the Ottawa Senators and the Ottawa 67's, both of whom have fixed schedules, I'm sure this was the only combination of dates that Skate Canada could get.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I got a good deal on a hotel on Hotwire, $70.00 plus taxes a night at the Best Western Plus Ottawa/Kanata. Other people might want to give it a try
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    Thank you so much for the info, everyone!

I would like to attend the men's and dance short and long programs as well as the gala. Do you think it is worth it to buy the all event pass for that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenji124 View Post
    I plan on buying tickets on Friday. I looked at a seating chart but couldn't find one specific to this event. Does anyone know what side judges will be on?
    For 2008 Skate Canada the judges were in Sections 105 - 107 and the Kiss & Cry was in Section 111.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Sarah View Post
    Has there been any mention of a pre-sale for members? (I am one, I just haven't seen anything yet and normally there is.)
    I've been keeping an eye out for the pre-sale too. So far, nada. But for Skate Canada tickets this year it started the day before they went on sale to the general public, so it might not be announced until Thursday morning.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    For 2008 Skate Canada the judges were in Sections 105 - 107 and the Kiss & Cry was in Section 111.

I've been keeping an eye out for the pre-sale too. So far, nada. But for Skate Canada tickets this year it started the day before they went on sale to the general public, so it might not be announced until Thursday morning.
    Got this Pre-Sale email today:

Exclusive pre-buy opportunity available Thursday, October 3 at 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

As a Canadian Tire Centre Insider, you have the opportunity to purchase advance ticket packages in select locations, prior to the public on sale on Friday, October 4 at 10 a.m.
    Senior Championship Package includes all senior practices, competition and the Exhibition Gala from January 9-12, 2014. This package costs $125-$185 plus applicable surcharges. Seating for this package is reserved.
    Junior & Novice Championship Package includes all novice and junior practices and competition from January 12-15, 2014. This package costs $40 plus applicable surcharges. Seating for this package is general admission.

This offer is available through Internet only, click here and refer to promo code PODIUM ( direct link tothe pre-sale is not working from this page however you can log onto the www.capitaltickets.ca)

The guy on the phone at cpailat tickerts did not know where the judges were or where the kiss & cry was- he thought maybe section 115 side however last time it was on the other side. If anyone can confirm please let us know.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Sarah View Post
    what skate4fn said

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    I agree that this is absolutely awful for the athletes first of all, and also for the spectators. It's wrong for many reasons:

First of all, they need to change this absolutely crazy, stupid, ridiculous, unfair practise of putting the first 2 flights of the final early in the day, and the final flight in the evening. For dance and pairs especially, this could impact the National Team placement, not to mention also some Olympic spots. You might have a bad short, but skate a fabulous long. In dance, for example, where there are so many teams so close, the momentum of the event is completely destroyed by this practise. I can see breaking up flights if there are lots of flights. But there are only 3 flights in total in each event. The rest are weeded out at Challenge. There is no good reason to do this. It's absolutely unfair for the athletes. Then there are the fans. I've seen this movie already. They are completely ripped off from watching the momentum of the event from strong developing teams to National champions. And with the breaks, with some fans having to watch their pennies and not able to see the whole event, they are forced to buy more tickets. That means they won't necessarily even get to watch the whole final for one discipline. It's ridiculous!! I really hope this practise gets revisited because its just wrong.

Now about the rest of the schedule, why don't they give up the charade of actually having 1 Nationals, and go back to having Junior Nats and Canadians for this season? It would be better than this situation. Or, I think they should go to the Ottawa Civic Centre and see whether or not we could have a proper Nationals that week. It's under revitalization right now, but it has way more history for skating fans, and maybe the arena and parking lot could be in good enough shape to host Nationals properly. It has to be completely ready by Spring, which is a couple of months away from when Nationals will be. Perhaps the arena could be finished first in time for this event. I don't think it is undergoing as much of the work as the stadium attached. We don't need the stadium. Just the arena. And there are lots of other arenas to host practises. The 67's were originally going to keep playing while construction is ongoing, but because construction started late, the construction company wanted free reign. We aren't asking for a whole season, just a week or so. And if they know it's a special event, perhaps they could accommodate. It's certainly worth a try.

In the meantime, while I get that TV is important (and therefore the weekend time slots for Seniors), we are ensuring that the Novice and Junior events will be very sparsely attended, the winners of Junior and Novice will miss the opportunity to participate in the Gala, and the Novice and Juniors will likely not be there for the Seniors since they will be training or not have arrived yet, never mind hanging out with them at the banquet or any other events. I feel sorry for the first flights on Monday and Tuesday. It will feel very anti-climatic, and draw comparisons that normally wouldn't be there. It's like watching the Stanley Cup final before the first round of the playoffs. For fans that stay the whole week for Nationals, they will lose the development and momentum through the week. And some will likely not be able to stay past the weekend, since many people have to take holidays over a week, not over 2 weeks, especially so close after Christmas holidays. Not everyone is able to take 2 partial week holidays.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I'm so torn between going to Canadians with my daughter - who has missed out on all the figure skating comps as away in another province training and going to school - or taking myself off to Budapest for Europeans.. I didn't realize that they were so close together.. hmm decisions decisions.. by tomorrow
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    The schedule is unfortunate on so many levels. Last year, because of the split flights, no one in the evening saw Veronik Mallet skate. When the ladies' final results were shown in the evening, her name popped up on the result board as 5th and the fans who hadn't been there earlier in the day were puzzled about what that was all about because they didn't see her skAte. And she never got the TV attention she deserved. That could easily happen this year with the split pairs and dance flights.
    This year will be the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Championships and it's supposed to be a special and festive year according to SKate Canada. There will be extra 'fun' activities and I'm sure they will say it was the best Canadians ever. It's hard to understand why in this year in particular, they would compromise the schedule so badly.

vCash
    Wow, what a really tightly packed schedule! I would have loved to have gone this year but with not driving and the costs of hotels being so far away, cabs and such would just be too much for me unfortunately. I haven't been to a competition since the Ladies Free at the Olympics in Vancouver. I was in London and had a blast there but alas it's back to watching on TV for me this time.
    Kyle

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast