Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by googooeyes View Post
    A bunny hop is now called a power jump and a waltz jump is now called a rotating power jump etc. This is probably good for getting lots of people out for overall skating in Canada and it looks very suitable for a sponsor like Canadian Tire or Mark's.
    That was actually changed years and years ago in the last update to Canskate - at least 10 years ago - to try and attract young hockey players. Most of the coaches never adjust their vocab, but it's not new.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Yes, I know that. Which is why the rest of the paragraph went on to explain how Skating's Winter Olympic counterparts have literally had to beg for funding in very public ways because that is what happened to them after the Vancouver Games, a home Games were over and done w/.
    Please look at CanuckSk8r's post #75.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Does anyone know what the likely official hotels for skaters and officials will be?
    Kyle

vCash
    I think it is the Country Inn on Terry Fox Drive as the whole hotel has been booked by one organization. That would probably be Skate Canada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Last one out west would have been nationals in 2011 in Victoria.
    And in fairness, you had seen Patrick and Shawn deliver the SO(their)L back to back, so they must have thought you were spoiled.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Any idea when tickets/packages go on sale?

vCash
    Skate Canada doesn't seem to have anything up on their website for it. Guessing that perhaps they will wait until after World's since they seem to be focusing on getting those tickets sold.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Country Inn & Suites on Terry Fox drive seems to be sold out, but I managed to get a room at the Comfort Inn Kanata. Only a few of those left as well. If you are thinking of going you might want to find yourself a room asap. You can always cancel later.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    although if you have your own car I would highly suggest staying downtown Ottawa and not in Kanata - there is absolutely nothing there.. and its just a straight highway from downtown - and downtown Ottawa is really nice especially that time of year with the frozen canal and fun bars etc., Lots of hotel rooms downtown as well and much better deals than Kanata..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    And even if you don't have a car, staying downtown & getting to Scotiabank Place should be do-able. When there are events at Scotiabank Place, the city bus system usually does run special buses from certain main stations directly to Scotiabank Place. They aren't necessarily plentiful or frequent, but they do run.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Skate Canada doesn't seem to have anything up on their website for it. Guessing that perhaps they will wait until after World's since they seem to be focusing on getting those tickets sold.
    Can't say I blame them for that. Thanks!!

vCash
    I tend to get up and live in the rink from morning until night, so I prefer to be close by, especially when roads and weather are liable to be nasty. But thanks!

vCash
    A bit of an update on the hotel situation. It looks like the Country Inn & Suites is fully booked by Dash Tours, but rooms are still available at the Holiday Inn & Suites, Brookstreet (was the official Skate Canada hotel the last time an event was held at Scotiabank Place), the Best Western, Comfort Inn West, and the Holiday Inn Express in Nepean. I’ve reserved rooms at the Holiday Inn & Suites and the Holiday Inn Express (cheaper but a bit further away), will decide depending on the weather forecast at the time.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    An on sale date was added to the event information on Skate Canada's website this past weekend: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/even...s/tickets.aspx

Event ticket packages for the 2014 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships will go on sale Friday, October 4, 2013. Prices and information on how to buy will be available closer to that date.
    There was a also a tentative schedule published in the latest issue of Skate Canada’s members’ magazine “Keeping In Touch”:

Thursday, January 9
    Senior Practices

Friday, January 10
    Senior Competition

Saturday, January 11
    Senior Competition

Sunday, January 12
    Gala, Junior & Novice practices

Monday – January 13
    Junior & Novice practice and
    Competition

Tuesday – January 14
    Competition

Wednesday – January 15
    Competition
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Eww! This schedule really stinks! I feel bad for the Juniors and Novice. The event will feel like it's over before it begins for them. And how do they put the Novice and Junior winners in the Gala? I'm going to have to read this whole thread to figure out why.

Kanata isn't as bad as it used to be. There definitely is more there between Nepean, Kanata and Stittsville, which are all really close. But for a better experience, if you have a car, definitely stay downtown Ottawa if you want to see some of the National Capital sites, take in better restaurants, shop, etc.

vCash
    I agree. The schedule is tough for the younger skaters. How are families supposed to plan their travel? I suppose it is always a great opportunity for the younger skaters to stick around for the senior events (great to watch, be inspired, etc) but not everyone can necessarily afford that. Hotels, airfare change fees, etc.

vCash
    I'm not sure what the problem is with the schedule. It's the reverse of the previous couple of years' schedules that had the novice/junior events finishing before the senior events started. The only difference is that novice/junior skaters wouldn't be in the gala, which affects very few of them. The travel planning should be the same as it would have been the last couple of years.

vCash
    Hey the 9th is my Birthday so it makes a perfect present from Moi to Moi.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    I heard that the Canadian Tire Centre is only available from the Thursday to the Wednesday. Skate Canada didn't want to have the senior competition in the middle of the week finishing on Wednesday, so to get the seniors on the weekend, they had to go first. it likely means the juniors won't be in the gala but who knows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is with the schedule. It's the reverse of the previous couple of years' schedules that had the novice/junior events finishing before the senior events started. The only difference is that novice/junior skaters wouldn't be in the gala, which affects very few of them. The travel planning should be the same as it would have been the last couple of years.
    Couple of issues with the schedule....First of all, it will be a little like eating dessert before the appetizer and main course. With the Novice, then Junior, then Senior, people who watch the whole week can see the development of the skaters through the levels. (appetizer, main course, dessert) There is a big difference between Novice and Junior, and again between Junior and Senior. I enjoy seeing that transition and development, and watching skaters over the years as they move through the ranks. In this schedule, we'll go right away to Senior, and perhaps not enjoy Junior and Novice quite as much as we otherwise would. (perhaps we will suffer a little from a case of indigestion) Second, from a logistical standpoint, many people get vacations for a week at a time - a week being Monday to Friday. It might be a little more difficult to spread this week over 2 weeks.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast