Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Usually they do the judges stand where the benches are - which, as shutterbug mentioned, is sections 105-107.
    This should link to the seating chart on the Canadian Tire Centre website: http://www.canadiantirecentre.com/en...ail&objId=2434
    Just click on "view seating chart" on the left hand side of the page.

vCash
    luckiest1, i hope you are able to find some good seating to enjoy the event with your mom.

And thank you so much for the code, skate4fn!

vCash
    Thanks Bournekraatzfan, my mom has decided that she is going to sit down by the ice, come hell or high water! Which means that we will require staff assistance each and every time she goes up or down the stairs. For the McCartney concert, it took me on one side and a staff member on the other side to get her to her seat safely. I hope they mean it when they say to ask for assistance! Because we might need a personal assistant for the 4 days we will be there.

vCash
    Hotel is booked, waiting to order tickets, email to the rink to ask about bringing in my own gluten-free food. Yep, things are happening and Canadians 2014 is becoming a reality.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Was anyone able to download a version of the event schedule that wasn't a totally scattered PDF?

vCash
    ^ It worked on my iphone but not my home computer. Weird

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    I agree that this is absolutely awful for the athletes first of all, and also for the spectators. It's wrong for many reasons:

First of all, they need to change this absolutely crazy, stupid, ridiculous, unfair practise of putting the first 2 flights of the final early in the day, and the final flight in the evening. For dance and pairs especially, this could impact the National Team placement, not to mention also some Olympic spots. You might have a bad short, but skate a fabulous long. In dance, for example, where there are so many teams so close, the momentum of the event is completely destroyed by this practise. I can see breaking up flights if there are lots of flights. But there are only 3 flights in total in each event. The rest are weeded out at Challenge. There is no good reason to do this. It's absolutely unfair for the athletes. Then there are the fans. I've seen this movie already. They are completely ripped off from watching the momentum of the event from strong developing teams to National champions. And with the breaks, with some fans having to watch their pennies and not able to see the whole event, they are forced to buy more tickets. That means they won't necessarily even get to watch the whole final for one discipline. It's ridiculous!! I really hope this practise gets revisited because its just wrong.

So if I understand the schedule correctly are they saying that the top 12 skaters in the ladies short on Friday, skate Saturday morning & the skaters who placed 13-18 skate later in the afternoon on Saturday??

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    On Saturday, 11 January, the schedule is:

10am-11:45am: Women's FS 1-12*

12pm-2pm: Men's FS 1-12*

2:40pm-3:15pm: Pairs FS 1-3*

3:30pm-4:30pm: Dance FD 1-8*

4:45pm-5:45pm: Women FS 13-18*

5:50pm: Women's Victory Ceremony

6:50pm-7:50pm: Men FS 13-18*

8pm-8:35pm: Pairs FS 4-7*

8:45pm-9:25pm: Dance FD 9-12*

9:30pm: Men's, Pairs, Dance Victory Ceremonies

Based on placements* from Friday, 10 January:

12:10pm-2:45pm: Women SP

3:00pm-5:00pm: Dance SD

5:15pm-5:45pm: Opening Ceremony

6:05pm-8:40pm: Men SP

8:55pm-9:55pm: Pairs SP

*To clarify per professordeb's post below, this is the reverse order of how the skaters placed in the SP/SD.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-03-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skate4fn View Post
    So if I understand the schedule correctly are they saying that the top 12 skaters in the ladies short on Friday, skate Saturday morning & the skaters who placed 13-18 skate later in the afternoon on Saturday??
    Actually it's not the top 12 and then 13th-18th placed skaters. What it really means is that is who skates according to their skate order. Let me see if I can more sense of that.

For instance, teams like V/M and W/P would likely finish in the top spots after the SD and would naturally find themselves skating in the final flight for the FD. After drawing for skating positions, we could have V/M as 18th and W/P as 17th in order of skate -- meaning they would skate in the evening.
    OTOH, teams that finished lower in ranking would draw for a skating position in an earlier flight meaning they would have a skate order of anything between 1st and 12th. These teams would skate in the morning session. Does that make more sense. The schedule only refers to the order of the skaters, not how they are ranked.

Can't say I'm a fan of this way of doing things. They did it last year at Canadians and I didn't like it much then either.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Actually it's not the top 12 and then 13th-18th placed skaters. What it really means is that is who skates according to their skate order. Let me see if I can more sense of that.

For instance, teams like V/M and W/P would likely finish in the top spots after the SD and would naturally find themselves skating in the final flight for the FD. After drawing for skating positions, we could have V/M as 18th and W/P as 17th in order of skate -- meaning they would skate in the evening.
    OTOH, teams that finished lower in ranking would draw for a skating position in an earlier flight meaning they would have a skate order of anything between 1st and 12th. These teams would skate in the morning session. Does that make more sense. The schedule only refers to the order of the skaters, not how they are ranked.

Can't say I'm a fan of this way of doing things. They did it last year at Canadians and I didn't like it much then either.
    Okay- skating order after the short- makes much more sense ( I though it was placement)-Thanks for explaining!

vCash
    Hotel is booked, waiting to order tickets, email to the rink to ask about bringing in my own gluten-free food. Yep, things are happening and Canadians 2014 is becoming a reality.
    My dad and I are also gluten free. Can you let me know what they say?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The schedule is a disaster for anyone who wants to see the entire event and avoid arena food as much as possible. It may be possible to run out at the end of the Dance SD, wolf something down in one of the strip mall restaurants near the arena, and maybe miss the beginning of the Men's SP, but that's pretty dire.

Time to invest in deep, hidden pockets in bulky coats.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The schedule is a disaster for anyone who wants to see the entire event and avoid arena food as much as possible. It may be possible to run out at the end of the Dance SD, wolf something down in one of the strip mall restaurants near the arena, and maybe miss the beginning of the Men's SP, but that's pretty dire.

Time to invest in deep, hidden pockets in bulky coats.
    kwanfan1818...it's Ottawa, in the dead of winter. I am imagining something like the Michelin Man with deep pockets! ;-)

vCash
    I'm planning on going too. I can't take anything in though because even in a crowd I'll be the one security searches my handbag. People around me scarf down salads, bottled water - it's really annoying

vCash

My issue is first and foremost the integrity of the competition. This is not a theoretical exercise. Let me remind everyone that going into the last Olympics, only 0.3 separated C/P and W/P at Nationals. In Canada in ice dance today, the order of skate (ie. whether one skates in the afternoon or evening) could decide whether or not someone gets the Olympic spot. The defacto 2 competitions at Senior for each discipline could be excused if there was a great deal of difference between the last flight and the other 2 flights. But that's not the case. #1 and #2 are carved securely in stone, barring any weird injuries. But there are probably 8 teams that could push for an Olympic spot, or at least National Team status as top 5. To separate these teams into 2 competitions based on the SD makes no sense. In a perfect, "on paper" world, it should be possible to judge each team on its own merits, and when one skates shouldn't matter. But we don't live in that perfect world. Judges are human. In the excitement of the last flight, or the afterglow of a nice dinner, etc., after so many hours and other events in the middle, how will they remember the scale of PCS and GOE they used against the earlier flights? That's not a fair expectation. It's hard enough to keep judging consistent when all 3 flights are the same competition. And with the results expected to be so close, the integrity of the sport is at stake. We've had enough "wuz robbed", and lack of credibility. These are the lives and dreams and money of the athletes and their families on the line. To force them into 2 competitions based on the SD results is really, really wrong. I wonder if there will even be 15 teams to fill 3 full flights in dance. It's ridiculous. And the same really applies to pairs, and we saw what happens with men and ladies already under this crazy system. This is about the integrity of the competition which must be put first. This is the reputation of the sport in Canada.

I also think it is unfair for the athletes to miss out on the mentorship and social aspects of holding the competition in the right order in the same week. The Novice's learn from the Juniors and the Seniors, and the Juniors learn from the Seniors. The prize for achievement is participation in the Gala with the Seniors. Not much of that will happen this year. That's especially sad when this should be the big 100 year celebration. I think they could still share the same hotels, and maybe use a different venue for "Junior Nationals" in Ottawa. I seem to recall Junior Nationals in Ottawa a few years back was in Nepean Sportsplex. Surely there are some arenas that could step up if Nationals can't be all held at Scotia Place because of hockey schedules. You don't need the huge venue for Junior Nats. That approach was used with Nationals in London a few years ago. Junior Nats was at Western Fair, and Canadians was at the John Labatt Centre. It worked just fine, and its better than being 2nd class citizens or the after-thought.

For all the reasons already mentioned, the fans are also forced to "take it in the chin". Some who would stay the week, won't be able to do so. I predict very low numbers for "Junior Nationals". For the Senior events, unless one has the money to pay for a full event pass, fans will not necessarily be able to see a full event. It's separate tickets for the day and evening. For passing fans who just want to see "the winners", this schedule might work. But not for the true fans who follow specific disciplines.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Northerndancers - Have you taken all of your comments to Skate Canada for consideration with respect to future competitions? Airing them here is fine but probably not constructive since "the die is cast" for the 2014 Canadians.

Although never a skater, I consider myself a true skating fan - a fan of skating in all disciplines and I plan to buy an all event ticket, as I usually do. The price is right for a weekend of skating, in my opinion. In my experience, the attendance at the junior/novice portion of nationals is always low - other skaters, family and friends with a few fans. This is similar to the summer competitions.
    Can't skate but love to watch

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Well seeing as the dates too close I picked Canadians in Ottawa instead of Europeans.. got my 2 tickets this morning.. ouch.. cost more than last year but decent seats ..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Got my seat this morning, not quite for where I was hoping but it IS an aisle seat which I prefer -- beats having to try and go over people since I'm quite the KLUTZ!

I'm in Section 101, Row D, Seat 1

and 4rkidz, I agree, the cost is a bit higher with that extra "rink" cost of $37! However, I think it's going to be worth it and I'm getting a bit excited.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Bought my mom her tickets this morning! She was hoping to sit across from the judges in the 115-117 sections, but the ticket website would not allow me to pick the seats except the ones it was giving me (unless I was doing it wrong??). Anyway she ended up in section 104 next to the judges section so I'm hoping that her view isn't obstructed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Bought my mom her tickets this morning! She was hoping to sit across from the judges in the 115-117 sections, but the ticket website would not allow me to pick the seats except the ones it was giving me (unless I was doing it wrong??). Anyway she ended up in section 104 next to the judges section so I'm hoping that her view isn't obstructed!
    Yeah, I hear ya about not being able to pick my own seat. I have no idea how it generated the "best" seat because not once in all my tries did I get the sections I was hoping. I guess I got spoiled because I seem to recall that last year I could pick my own seat. Loved that interactive map -- more places should do so, IMO.

That being said, I *think* I might be right next to the KnC -- or else at the opposite end. Regardless of my seat, I'm thrilled I am going.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast