Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Things dropping from the roof has a bad history in Ottawa (i.e., the old downtown rink). I don't think they'll want to go there.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I hate the fact that just because the Vancouver Olympics are now over and there isn't a Home Games in the future, so many Sponsors jumped ship the way they did.
    Both BMO and Homesense had other issues with Skate Canada. The lack of an Olympics in Canada in the future probably wasn't the major reason why those two sponsorships ended.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Both BMO and Homesense had other issues with Skate Canada. The lack of an Olympics in Canada in the future probably wasn't the major reason why those two sponsorships ended.
    Do tell!

Watch me move
    vCash
    It's no big secret about either of them, but I can only pass along what I know.

At the start of BMO's sponsorship, parents of skaters (in my area at least) suddenly started getting solicitations from BMO to buy its financial products. Some of the parents inquired, and it appeared as though at least some of their contact information had been provided to BMO by Skate Canada in relation to the sponsorship. Whether this was supposed to happen or whether it was a mistake I don't know, but the parents complained to Skate Canada, and it took a while to get a promise that this kind of solicitation would not happen again.

Homesense had some sort of deal as part of its sponsorship that at least some of Skate Canada's competitions would have to take place in an area with a minimum number of HomeSense stores. I know that for Adult Nationals, this led to at least one very good bid to host the competition being rejected because it came from a club in a city that didn't meet those requirements. So the competition that year was thrown together on pretty short notice by a club that met those requirements having to step in.

Now to be fair both of these incidents were several years ago, and I get the sense that Skate Canada is now much more careful about what it says it will or won't do for potential sponsors.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    That is interesting. Thanks for the details. Both understandable I guess - but a bit scary nonetheless.

vCash
    Home sense was horrible. Their staff were hugely high maintenance and caused ticketing issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I love Mark's.. in fact it is one of the few stores that both myself.. my hubby and our daughter (23) all shop.. actually so does my mom.. so it offers multi generational clothing.. great that Canadian Tire is a sponsor too.. should be an interesting partnership..
    These should be very successful sponsors because they are very popular stores and they are pretty much everywhere in Canada.
    It's interesting that the new revised Canskate program (Skate Canada national learn to skate program) being rolled out this year has a shift in emphasis to being suited to all ice sports. Coaches still have to have the correct certification but can come from hockey, speed skating etc. Skills are skating focused and not so much figure skating focused unless you choose to go that route as you progress. A bunny hop is now called a power jump and a waltz jump is now called a rotating power jump etc. This is probably good for getting lots of people out for overall skating in Canada and it looks very suitable for a sponsor like Canadian Tire or Mark's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Things dropping from the roof has a bad history in Ottawa (i.e., the old downtown rink). I don't think they'll want to go there.
    The arena and whole park are being extensively renovated and rebuilt so it is not at Lansdowne. Scotia bank Place will be hosting it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, I know. The association between things dropping from a roof in 2006 isn't something I think they'd want to emulate even playfully, given the amount of disruption and stress it caused at the most important nationals in that Olympic cycle.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by googooeyes View Post
    These should be very successful sponsors because they are very popular stores and they are pretty much everywhere in Canada.
    It's interesting that the new revised Canskate program (Skate Canada national learn to skate program) being rolled out this year has a shift in emphasis to being suited to all ice sports. Coaches still have to have the correct certification but can come from hockey, speed skating etc. Skills are skating focused and not so much figure skating focused unless you choose to go that route as you progress. A bunny hop is now called a power jump and a waltz jump is now called a rotating power jump etc. This is probably good for getting lots of people out for overall skating in Canada and it looks very suitable for a sponsor like Canadian Tire or Mark's.
    How interesting I had no idea.. I must let my daughter know as she competed in figure skate till she was 12 ( to gold level) and then speed skating to national level.. she recently started coaching in speed skating but perhaps she could also qualify in figure skating? Although she hasn't had a pair of figure skates on since she was 12 - she passed her gold test (much to her coaches surprise) and then proceeded to quit to focus on speed skating.. she loves teaching the little ones..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    How interesting I had no idea.. I must let my daughter know as she competed in figure skate till she was 12 ( to gold level) and then speed skating to national level.. she recently started coaching in speed skating but perhaps she could also qualify in figure skating? Although she hasn't had a pair of figure skates on since she was 12 - she passed her gold test (much to her coaches surprise) and then proceeded to quit to focus on speed skating.. she loves teaching the little ones..
    Your daughter is more than qualified to take the Canskate coaching certification course if she is interested.
    To start as a Program Assistant in a club she will need to reactivate her Skate Canada membership number.
    Program Assistant requirements:
    • Current skaters at the club
    • Former skaters
    • Skaters from other sports (hockey, ringette,
    speed skating)
    For registering in the actual Canskate coaching course you need:
    1.Completed all three Preliminary STARSkate tests;
    2.Completed one Jr. Bronze STARSkate test; and
    3.Be at least 16 years of age
    Here's the website info:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/tabid/8497...S/Default.aspx
    Sorry about being off topic! Most of those skaters out there at Canadians started in Canskate!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    For anyone wanting a hotel near the arena-The Country Inn on Terry Fox drive is definitely walkable (about 20 minutes or less). Next closest is the Holiday Inn Kanata (35 minutes walking). Both are close to the mall, which has lots of restaurants and such. There's not much else of interest in Kanata. Downtown is much more interesting, of course, and if you rent a car it's easy enough to get to Scotiabank Place. Public transit comes all the way out to Kanata too.

If you want one of the close hotels- I'd book early- I imagine they will fill up quickly.
    There's also a Comfort Inn in Hearst Drive in Kanata, but walking from there is 45 minutes- maybe a bit much in January? But easy enough in a car/public transit.
    Some of these hotels are booked up already.. I'm thinking they are expecting a really good turn out with being a sell out this weekend - and next year even more important as picking the Olympic team?

Quote Originally Posted by Picton View Post
    All of the info states that 2014 Nationals is Jan. 9 to 15. This seems strange as the 15th is on a Wednesday in 2014. Is there a mistake with the dates?
    Those dates do seem weird - to have finals on a Tuesday or Wednesday night??
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    We heard at the rink in Mississauga this weekend that it will run Thursday - Wednesday, with seniors skating first, and juniors/novice skating Monday - Wednesday. It is presumed that they will still hold the gala on Sunday but for seniors only (not confirmed). I think this all has to do with not being able to get the dates they wanted in the arena.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Yes, I know that. Which is why the rest of the paragraph went on to explain how Skating's Winter Olympic counterparts have literally had to beg for funding in very public ways because that is what happened to them after the Vancouver Games, a home Games were over and done w/. I also said Skating was lucky because while we'd lost two really big name sponsors, we still weren't at the point where a big name skater, say Tessa and Scott, had to do interviews to literally beg for a sponsor to come on board.

I also thought I'd explained that pretty clearly in the post you quoted/nipped that one part out of, but obviously not...

vCash
    The issue with sponsors has been going on long before the Vancouver Olympics.

The Vancouver Olympics actually helped bring sponsors both new and old on board. Unfortunately the contracts were for a limited time, which is standard since the economy nose dived.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    We heard at the rink in Mississauga this weekend that it will run Thursday - Wednesday, with seniors skating first, and juniors/novice skating Monday - Wednesday. It is presumed that they will still hold the gala on Sunday but for seniors only (not confirmed). I think this all has to do with not being able to get the dates they wanted in the arena.
    Seems deflating for the Juniors (especially the champions who won't get to skate in gala). I hope they at least put Juniors on Sun/Mon so they get a bit of an audience. Or maybe they could still squeeze in Juniors on Thurs/Fri?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Yes, I know that. Which is why the rest of the paragraph went on to explain how Skating's Winter Olympic counterparts have literally had to beg for funding in very public ways because that is what happened to them after the Vancouver Games, a home Games were over and done w/. I also said Skating was lucky because while we'd lost two really big name sponsors, we still weren't at the point where a big name skater, say Tessa and Scott, had to do interviews to literally beg for a sponsor to come on board.

I also thought I'd explained that pretty clearly in the post you quoted/nipped that one part out of, but obviously not...
    No need to get so defensive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Is this the third year in row that Ontario has had Nats?
    Us westerners have been left with nothing the past few years......seems like forever since I saw a skating como!

vCash
    For the first time in years, US Nationals (1/5-12) will start before Canadian Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Us westerners have been left with nothing the past few years......seems like forever since I saw a skating como!
    Last one out west would have been nationals in 2011 in Victoria.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast