Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not sad because I'll probably attend -- I've never been to Ottawa and skating on the Rideau Canal is on my bucket list. But seriously, this year Skate Canada, Nationals, and Worlds are all in Ontario. And, the nationals before the Olympics are also in Ontario -- as were the last nationals before the last Olympic Games. Skate Canada has to seriously think about how these events are awarded because this is a little ridiculous for fans who live in other parts of the country. Just saying...

vCash

Ottawa will Hold Cdn Nats in 2014

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Update: Thanks to the kind mod. who merged this thread with the original thread now that the news is confirmed.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yes please. Day late dollar short.

vCash
    Nats - 05 London 06 Ottawa 10 London 13 Mississauga 14 Ottawa

SC - 08 Ottawa 09 Kitchener 10 Kingston 11 Mississauga 12 Windsor

Worlds 13 London

Watch me move
    vCash
    What, are you suggesting there's some sort of pattern emerging?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I would understand why SC wants to group everything in Ontario, easier access. It's better for the smaller groups to join the mass than for the mass to go out of the way to ie. Regina. At least we'll see SCI head over to St John next year. We have to consider availability of accommodation and everything. I'm just not surprised.
    Though maybe a bit that BC gets no love. How's the popularity over there?

vCash
    I think the International competitions are a little different. Worlds is in London, but I think the last time Canada had Worlds it was out West. And there were more than a few events in Vancouver ahead of the Olympics. SCI is out east next season. For SCI, with no funding partner, there has to be strong local community support, and the prospect of actually filling all the seats in order to cover costs. The best chance of filling seats is to hold the event in a place where the population centre is much bigger. Canada is a country of only about 35 Million people. More than half the population lives in the Windsor to Quebec City corridor. It's also where almost all the Canadian pairs teams, most of the dance teams (Detroit is just across the border from Windsor), and a good number of singles skaters train. It's also where SC head offices are located, as well as many officials. It's driving distance for the most amount of people, instead of having to pay exorbitant fees to fly. (Flights within Canada are often more expensive than flying overseas.) Toronto is Canada's busiest and most international airport with many direct flights from all over the world. Montreal is the 3rd busiest airport. For international travelers, something within driving distance of Toronto or Montreal makes sense.

Nationals has been spread around a little better: 12 - Moncton; 11 - Victoria; 10 - London; 09 - Saskatoon; 08 - Vancouver; 07 - Halifax; 06 - Ottawa

That's 3x out west, 2x out east, 2x central. Again, when over half the country's population lives within the Windsor to Quebec City corridor, how is this not spreading around Nationals? It's wonderful for athletes to get to know the entire country, and for skating to be highlighted all over the country, but until there are sponsors for athletes and the event themselves, I'm not sure this makes economic sense. Moncton had a hard time with attendance. Victoria had the attendance and excitement, but everyone outside of BC had to fly. And there are little to no direct flights to Victoria so getting there is a trek from just about anywhere, and extremely expensive. Without enough sponsorship, the event needs to pay for itself (ie. fill the seats), and the costs need to be kept reasonable for the athletes and officials. It's likely why regions without the population base to support ticket sales and local sponsorships don't bid for Nationals. I have no trouble with Nationals in Ottawa next year given the history and 100th anniversary. I'm sure it will go out west or to Quebec the next year.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    I think the International competitions are a little different. Worlds is in London, but I think the last time Canada had Worlds it was out West. And there were more than a few events in Vancouver ahead of the Olympics.
    Worlds was in Vancouver in 2001.

And there were only two pre-Olympics events in Vancouver: Four Continents and Canadians.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Worlds was in Vancouver in 2001.

And there were only two pre-Olympics events in Vancouver: Four Continents and Canadians.
    True, but there have also been a Nationals and a SC in Victoria in recent years. Alberta and Manitoba haven't had much recently- while Saskatchewan has had Nationals and the Challenge events.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Well, I am going to NB for Skate Canada (and went to QC for GPF), so my whining doesn't necessarily have to do with a FS event not taking place in BC. If Nationals was being held in, say, Iqaluit, I may not go (except...I so would!) but I wouldn't whine about it (unless their washrooms are outside).
    Last edited by manhn; 12-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think it sucks that ther middle of the country is given short shrift, and while I love Victroria, and don't need an excuse to go there, from Vancouver, Victoria is regional, not local, and even when manhn is driving, you still have to get to the ferry, wait for the ferry, ride the 1 hr 35 minute trip, unload from the ferry, and drive from the ferry dock to downtown Victoria. I can take the Bolt Bus to Seattle in less time, get from Seattle to /ictoria in almost that time, and if I take public transportation to Victoria, from downtown, not Surrey or North Van or farther north, it takes 5-6 hours, in which time I could be nearly to Portland, and which more than covered out train trip from Quebec City to Ottawa.

It only seemed like short trip because we were together and manhn was driving
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think it sucks that ther middle of the country is given short shrift, and while I love Victroria, and don't need an excuse to go there, from Vancouver, Victoria is regional, not local, and even when manhn is driving, you still have to get to the ferry, wait for the ferry, ride the 1 hr 35 minute trip, unload from the ferry, and drive from the ferry dock to downtown Victoria. I can take the Bolt Bus to Seattle in less time, get from Seattle to /ictoria in almost that time, and if I take public transportation to Victoria, from downtown, not Surrey or North Van or farther north, it takes 5-6 hours, in which time I could be nearly to Portland, and which more than covered out train trip from Quebec City to Ottawa.

It only seemed like short trip because we were together and manhn was driving
    But the same goes for Ontario, too. Just because events are in Ontario, it doesn't mean they are close to each other. Ottawa to Windsor is a 9-10 hour drive, depending on Toronto traffic. Flying is expensive- it costs as much to fly Ottawa-London as it does Ottawa-Vancouver. If they were to put an event in Thunder Bay (still Ontario), it would be an 18 hour drive from Ottawa, and about the same from Toronto. Ontario is a big province with lots of big cities and a big population. There are lots of potential venues.

For me, it doesn't matter all that much where they put the events- I will be there. Unless it's in Ottawa I have to pay for a hotel and travel- Kingston costs as much as Halifax or Victoria, really. I haven't missed a SC for at least 10 years, and only a few Nationals (usually when I have been going to Euros or Worlds instead).
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Eh?
    vCash
    Party chez cygnus?

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Party chez cygnus?
    Maybe!!!!
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Ontario has excellent intra Province train service and train service to Montreal and Quebec City, though. What a number of Ontario cities are missing is sufficient hotel space that isn't car-dependent and inadequate public transportation, which were issues for the Everett and Kent SA's as well.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Everywhere in NA has it's pros and cons. The pros are if it's in your backyard, the con is if it isn't. Some of the stuff we complain about isn't within SC's realm of responsibility. *coughairfarecough*. The only thing I really want when I go to a comp *other than cheap airfare* is that I don't have to grab a plane, then rent a vehicle to drive 4 or 5 hoursor take a crop duster. Other than that, it's all good.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    My general criteria for NA events is generally one plane/train/bus plus plenty of hotels reachable by public transportation. That's why it's almost always a choice to go to Euros over NA events, and why I wish they'd hold Can Nats between Ontario and BC.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    True, but there have also been a Nationals and a SC in Victoria in recent years. Alberta and Manitoba haven't had much recently- while Saskatchewan has had Nationals and the Challenge events.
    Just correcting the points that were made in the earlier post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    My general criteria for NA events is generally one plane/train/bus plus plenty of hotels reachable by public transportation. That's why it's almost always a choice to go to Euros over NA events, and why I wish they'd hold Can Nats between Ontario and BC.
    Yes, that's how I like it too. It's the main reason why I haven't gone to any events in Ont lately. I'd have to take a car, than a plane, then either a train, a bus or another car......I'm lazy. too much of a pita.

Edmonton hasn't had anything since 04 and Calgary since 06. I'd think it's their turn or Manitoba, their last one was 01.

I am happy about Saint John tho. The rink is down the hill from two hotels, the market, which is attached to a mall/museum and something else. I've always flown into Halifax or Moncton, but the Saint John airport isn't that far out of the city. I'm guessing a shuttle fee of $20.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast