Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I needed ripe bananas fast today for a cake I was going to bake. I googled it, and it said to heat the oven to 300 degrees, put the bananas on a cookie sheet and bake for one hour. It worked great!

I'm baking the banana cake that I mentioned at the top of this thread, used salted butter and added the amount of salt called for. It is cooling now, and then we shall see...
    Man, I would totally give you my ripe bananas. I only like my bananas green with a hint of yellow, but they pass that stage pretty quickly, so I always end up forgetting one or two and then I inform Boyfriend that it's his job to dispose of the completely yellow bananas. When he forgets too, well, then it's baking time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Man, I would totally give you my ripe bananas. I only like my bananas green with a hint of yellow, but they pass that stage pretty quickly, so I always end up forgetting one or two and then I inform Boyfriend that it's his job to dispose of the completely yellow bananas. When he forgets too, well, then it's baking time
    I would gladly take them - I like bananas with the skin almost completely black...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I would gladly take them - I like bananas with the skin almost completely black...
    Ugh. Once a banana gets a single black spot I can't eat it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash

vCash
    Banana #7 is perfect for me, but maybe just a titch more black...

vCash
    4 and 5 are the best. Nicely shaped, smooth and firm...I mean the banana is.

6 is ok but must be eaten soon.

I will only eat 7 if I'm extremely hungry, and I don't have another option.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    5 or 6
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Ahhhh....but #7 is so perfectly, succulently sweet!

vCash
    3 for me, after that, I won't eat them.

Baked half of my cookies today. Peanut butter blossoms, chocolate with white chocolate chips, toffee bars with milk chocolate and chopped pecans, and toffee bars with white chocolate and chopped walnuts and cranberries. Tomorrow, spritz cookies, chocolate with sour cherries biscotti, and chocolate chip shortbread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

Baked half of my cookies today. Peanut butter blossoms, chocolate with white chocolate chips, toffee bars with milk chocolate and chopped pecans, and toffee bars with white chocolate and chopped walnuts and cranberries. Tomorrow, spritz cookies, chocolate with sour cherries biscotti, and chocolate chip shortbread.
    Wow, that's a lot of cookies! My back is starting to ache just thinking about how you must have been on your feet all day in the kitchen...

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Banana no 4

Only made 3 types of cookies this year - on more tomorrow. My mom usually makes 11-18 kinds, all trough December. I never catch up.

vCash
    Banana number 4 is perfect! 3 would be weirdly sticky, and 5 would be acceptable but need to be eaten ASAP. 7 would go in the trash.

I discovered insulated/double layer baking pans are bad for gingerbread cookies (I made drop ones, not cutouts). They stayed way too soft, and I ended up overcooking a batch. Crappy old single-layer pans it is!

vCash

http://lifeinsuranceandmore.com/2012...-dark-patches/

The fully ripe banana produces a substance called TNF, which has the ability to combat abnormal cells.

As the banana ripens, it develops dark spots or patches on the skin. The more dark patches it has, the higher will be its immunity enhancement quality....

The degree of anti-cancer effect corresponds to the degree of ripeness of the fruit, i.e. the riper the banana, the better the anti-cancer quality…

In an animal experiment carried out by a professor in Tokyo U comparing the various health benefits of different fruits, using banana, grape, apple, water melon, pineapple, pear and persimmon, it was found that banana gave the best results. It increased the number of white blood cells, enhanced the immunity of the body and produced anti-cancer substance TNF.

vCash
    Banana 6 is perfect. I'd eat 5 and 7 without a problem. I'd eat 4 if I was hungry, but I'd prefer it sit for a little longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

Will you share the recipe for the chocolate chip shortbread? Thanks!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Will you share the recipe for the chocolate chip shortbread? Thanks!
    It's actually a "cheat" recipe. I use the crust for Lemon Bars. But, the cookies are amazing! Everyone's favorite.

3/4 Cup Softened Butter
    1 1/2 Cups Flour
    1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
    1 Small Bag Nestle's or Hershey's Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
    Granulated Sugar (Can be colored, can be the large grain)

Mix flour and powdered sugar together, add softened butter and mix with a fork until it gets crumbly.
    Add mini chips and mix with your fingers until chips are well mixed in.

Press into a 9" X 13" pan. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar, to cover the entire top.

Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes, until slightly browned around edges.

Remove from oven, let set for about 10 minutes, cut into small 1" X 1 1/2" bars.

Eat and enjoy!

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

The rest of the Lemon Bar recipe:

Make the above crust (without the chocolate chips), bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.
    Note: When you press into the pan, give the sides a slight lip, to prevent the lemon mixture from going over the sides.
    While crust is baking:
    Beat together:
    3 Eggs
    1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
    3 Tbs. Flour
    Juice of 1 Lemon (I use a 1 1/2 Lemons)

Open oven, pull rack out, pour lemon mixture over crust and continue baking for 20 more minutes.
    I don't actually remove the pan from the oven, because it helps keep the lemon mixture from going
    over the sides of the crust.

When done, remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let sit of a few minutes and cut into bars.
    Don't remove from the pan until completely cooled, but cut while hot.

Remember, all ovens are a little different. Some cook hotter than others. So, baking times can fluctuate
    +/- by a minute or two.

ETA, another thing you can do is add 1/2 cup of ground pecans and take away 1/4 cup of the flour. Then, instead of putting granulated sugar on top. Put powdered sugar on top after it's out of the oven.
    Last edited by cruisin; 12-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I want to make slice and bake cookies. The recipe says to wrap in wax paper but I don't have wax paper. Can I use plastic wrap or foil? Sorry for the dumb question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I want to make slice and bake cookies. The recipe says to wrap in wax paper but I don't have wax paper. Can I use plastic wrap or foil? Sorry for the dumb question.
    I'll bet either would be fine.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Thank you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Either would be fine. But, I think the dough would be less likely to stick to plastic wrap than foil. That is the reason for wax paper, it won't stick to it. You could use baking parchment, if you have it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast