Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    So, by Huckabee's "logic", there should be school massacres every week in a secular country like, say, Sweden...

vCash
    Wow, just wow. I know they think this is true, but at this time, can they just not say it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Wow, just wow. I know they think this is true, but at this time, can they just not say it?
    Just what the grieving families and community need to hear at this time. The milk of human kindess runs kind of thin through his veins. Or is this his version of "Christian compassion"? Unbelievable.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I guess the mind boggles and some of us tend to fall back on the "comfort" of God and religion as panacea, so we don't have to examine ourselves and the stark reality of the culture we live in.

When the unbelievable "no words for it" tragedy of the nanny who knifed and killed two young children (ages 6 and 2) in New York City occurred a few months ago, it seemed to pass by almost unnoticed. God being "removed from the schools" can't be knee-jerkingly blamed for their deaths.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/05...ts-to-hurting/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The Wisconsin shooting took place in a Sikh temple- a holy place.
    The Sikh Temple shooting took place in Oak Creek, a suburb of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee area has had two mass shooting within the last few months. The Azana day spa in Brookfield(suburb of Milwaukee) shooting took place late October. That shooting left 3 dead and several injured. It was a domestic abuse work place shooting. Zina Haughton's husband Randolph came to the salon and starting arguing and then shooting. One of the victims, Maelyn Lind who was a friend to Zina died apparently trying to shield other people. Haughton had mental/anger issues and was told to turn in his weapons a few weeks before.

Weird thing, both shooting took place on Sunday morning. I remember turning on the TV late morning and watching the scenes........
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    First off, I'm just beyond stunned by the tragic and horrific events of today. They were just babes for crying out loud. I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    It's horrible at any time of the year but I think they say that because Christmas is, even though not intentionally, the time for kids. In my home it was always more or less all about me. My mom was making Christmas presents with me, I had the advent calendar, we were baking cookies... Then Christmas Eve and the two holidays we have afterwards in Germany were all about family. You don't really have that sense of togetherness and family during the rest of the year and I don't think the focus is on the child as much as it is during the holidays during the rest of the year. Whether or not that's right or not is another matter.
    The family members who have died so far in my family were most missed during Christmas Eve/the two holidays because the lack of their presence is the most obvious then. They're not there for dinner, you don't have to get gifts (and I'm sure those parents who lost their kids and those who lost their loved ones already had gifts, so that's going to be hard, too), they're just not there when everyone else is physically present.

To me, Christmas is a very special time and instead of celebrating those families will most likely be mouring, or, if they have other children, have a very tuned down Christmas, I would guess.
    So, losing the child/family member isn't any harder but I still think it's different because the time is sort of a special time right now.
    You said it far better than I ever could and Thank You for it. Rudolph is just starting on CBS and all I can think of is how many of these Families were looking forward to getting together tonight to watch it w/their little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I don't think normal people can understand. He had his reasons which were valid to him, but only to him. Same as every murderer regardless of the situation.

And how would banning assault rifles have prevented this? He didn't use one. He used hand guns.
    CBS and NBC were reporting there was an AK rifle found in his car. If that's true, and they said that came from the Police, then he had one, but for some reason left it behind. Not that it makes things any better.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    You can pray in a public school. Anyone who wants to can. At any time. Quietly and by yourself. Which is more or less how we should pray anyway. Jesus had something to say about people who pray out loud in public to be seen and it wasn't positive.
    Really? Do you mind PM'ing that particular portion to me please? I have some relatives that information could come in quite handy for me to have when they start in on me not going to Church/my own personal beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Moving away from the political arguments for a moment - the grandmother of one of the little girls lost today goes to my church in West Carrollton, Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I just have to say this - we are all very upset about what happened in CT, and we are all grieving, whether we knew the victims or not.
    Susan...I am so terribly, terribly sorry for her, you and your entire Community. Please let her know so many not just in the US, but all around the World have her and all of the other Families and Friends of those so tragically taken today in their thoughts and prayers.

Vash...What I said to Susan. There truly are no words I can think of to say right now, other than know so very many people the World over have your area in their thoughts and prayers right now. (((HUGS)))

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    The Bath School Disaster of god-fearing 1927 remains the worst mass school killing in US history, Mr. Huckabee.

But people say stupid knee-jerk things when there is a tragedy--and not all of those things are religious.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

Really? Do you mind PM'ing that particular portion to me please? I have some relatives that information could come in quite handy for me to have when they start in on me not going to Church/my own personal beliefs.

Your box is full. I'll try again later.

vCash

Matthew 6:6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    So, by Huckabee's "logic", there should be school massacres every week in a secular country like, say, Sweden...
    Uh huh. And that's why that shooting at that Amish school took place. Those godless Amish.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    And just yesterday, the republicans in Michigan passed a bill making it LEGAL to carry a gun into a school or daycare center.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    And just yesterday, the republicans in Michigan passed a bill making it LEGAL to carry a gun into a school or daycare center.
    And they will argue that if someone in the school had been armed, that person could have stopped the gunman and prevented at least some of the deaths.

And many people will agree with them.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    The vast majority of people with severe mental illness will not be violent.
    This - yes the shooter was probably mentally ill (I say probably when I mean most certainly, but can not diagnose it). The majority of people with severe mental illness are not violent, acts and conclusions like mental illness spawns violence is probably one of the major reasons people don't seek help. People will think that I am crazy, what if they shun me, etc. Mental illness is a true illness. Let's start treating it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Moving away from the political arguments for a moment - the grandmother of one of the little girls lost today goes to my church in West Carrollton, Ohio.
    I am so sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I just watched an ABC reporter interview a middle school boy, who had been in lock down. He described the two hours he and his classmates spent under their desks in a blacked out locked room. Then he said he was thankful that no one he knew was harmed. The reporter kept asking him if he can handle what happened, several times. The boy kept saying he would be alright, and the reporter kept asking if he was sure. What did she want from him?
    Just what does any reporter or person on the scene want - a scoop, something that someone else hasn't gotten. Look what 24/7 coverage has done for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    And they will argue that if someone in the school had been armed, that person could have stopped the gunman and prevented at least some of the deaths.

And many people will agree with them.
    yep - seen this one all over my Facebook page.
    Last edited by numbers123; 12-15-2012 at 02:59 AM.

vCash

And many people will agree with them
    Yup. Because apparently these people want us to live in one big episode of Gunsmoke where gun fights are breaking out at all times of the day. How fun!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Yup. Because apparently these people want us to live in one big episode of Gunsmoke where gun fights are breaking out at all times of the day. How fun!
    I think that most of them think we already DO live in a world where gun fights break out at all times of day.

There is some evidence to that effect, is there not?

And so they think that if all these dangerous people are running around with guns, maybe they should be, too......just in case a gun fight breaks out at some hour of the day.

vCash
    Diane Sawyer just did an interview on 20/20 with one of the teachers -- she was very brave though she didn't want to admit that and said one of the little boys in her class assured her and his classmates that he knew karate and he would defend them against the "bad guys." And she spoke about the kids who said they just wanted to call their mom and said they justed wanted to be home for Christmas. It was very moving. So awful... (at least her students made it out alive but not unscarred.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    You are so very right. But they forget that while the good guys always won on Gunsmoke and in the movie westerns, that is not the case in real life. No matter how many people are armed to the teeth.

vCash
    You know, Ronald Reagan was surrounded by trained, armed guards, and he and many others in the vicinity were shot. I think I read that Hinckley fired 6 shots in less than two seconds.

But yes, I have many friends who think they'd have been the one to take out the shooter.

Oh, and as for kids being "scarred for life," well, most kids are pretty resilient.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Diane Sawyer just did an interview on 20/20 with one of the teachers -- she was very brave though she didn't want to admit that and said one of the little boys in her class assured her and his classmates that he knew karate and he would defend them against the "bad guys." And she spoke about the kids who said they just wanted to call their mom and said they justed wanted to be home for Christmas. It was very moving. So awful... (at least her students made it out alive but not unscarred.)
    I don't know if this is the same teacher or a different one (detailed article here):

http://gma.yahoo.com/childrens-terro...opstories.html

There's so many things that impressed me about her actions, but this stood out:

"If they started crying, I would take their face and tell them, 'It's going to be OK,'" Roig continued. "I wanted that to be the last thing they heard, not the gunfire in the hall."

Amazing.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast