Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Which just goes to show how we need consistent gun control laws across each state and the nation as a whole. As tough as Connecticut may or may not have been, the shooter was allegedly from New Jersey and could have gotten his guns from any of the surrounding areas.

What a tragedy.
    And, ironically NJ has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

I don't know if the shooter/brother's names have been straightened out yet. But, one is dead, the other in custody. There was just talk of an arrest in Hoboken. They are also talking about the shooter's girlfriend and a friend of hers being missing, somewhere in NJ. The police are looking for them. Not sure if they think they are involved, have info, or may be hurt.

I'm confused by the link Southpaw gave us. It says: "Ryan Lanza, the man identified as the shooter. Lanza has denied the charge to a former Jersey Journal staff writer.". So, do they think the gunman is dead or do they think the living brother did it? Or both?

vCash
    The more we learn about this tragedy, the worse it gets.
    My prayers and sympathy to all affected.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    this is all I could find on that - the info is all over the place. This report says Ryan is the one being talked to by police
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/p...8TXwSYYsVGkYLO

New Jersey? I'm not following...
    From what is being reported, Ryan Lanza is from Hoboken, NJ. Earlier report said that one of his parents was found dead at their NJ home. Since his mother was teaching school in CT, I am assuming that it was the father who was killed in NJ. I don't think it's been verified yet. There have been conflicting reports.

Since news is still coming in, it may be a while before they figure out what really happened.
    That is incorrect. The parents were divorced and the father lives in another state. There are no reports that he was murdered. The brother was killed and he was found in the mother's house. The mother was killed at the school. There are reports that the guns belonged to the mother. There will be soooooo many clues that this man had mental issues after the fact which is sad. So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    And, ironically NJ has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

I don't know if the shooter/brother's names have been straightened out yet. But, one is dead, the other in custody.
    Even that isn't straightened out. Sounds like the shooter's brother (who was originally identified as the shooter) is in for questioning but isn't a suspect.

I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first. And I say this as a former journalist.

vCash
    It is the same sicko who drives their two children into a lake and drowns them so she can have an affair, the same sicko who explodes his house, killing himself and two kids........because the police may be getting closer to finding out what he did to kill his wife,and the same sicko who kidnapped those two cousins in Iowa......and the list marches on and on,

It is just beyond rational thought.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.
    Those with sociopathic tendencies should be legislated? In what way?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    [QUOTE=rfisher;3771441]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

That is incorrect. The parents were divorced and the father lives in another state. There are no reports that he was murdered. The brother was killed and he was found in the mother's house. The mother was killed at the school. There are reports that the guns belonged to the mother. There will be soooooo many clues that this man had mental issues after the fact which is sad. So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.
    Are there two brothers? Because it's being reported that his brother is in custody. Or, at least being questioned.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    There may be three brothers - one shooter (dead), one killed by the shooter prior to going to the school, one talking to police (not considered a suspect)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first.
    Amen to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Even that isn't straightened out. Sounds like the shooter's brother (who was originally identified as the shooter) is in for questioning but isn't a suspect.

I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first. And I say this as a former journalist.
    Agree.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    A lot of the news outlets are pulling the names off their websites as it is not certain which brother did what. I also saw a report that a man in camoflage pants was found in the woods by the school and was taken in for questioning.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Might have just been speculation, but the Globe and Mail said the shooter might have been carrying his brother's ID.

vCash
    This is awful. Those poor children...I have no words.

vCash
    I am sick and angry over this. This didn't have to happen. How many more people have to be killed, how much longer do people have to live in fear that they're gonna die for simply walking into a mall, and how many parents are going to send their kids to school fearing that that will be the last time they see their child.

I'm sick of hearing about owning guns being our constitutional right. We once had a constitutional right to own slaves, things change. Now we will hear the patronizing speeches from all the politicians talking about what a tragedy this is. Yes, it's a tragedy, it's a tragedy that our government basically says is perfectly fine because guns are awesome and is our right as Americans to own. If one of us happens to use one to mow down 20 innocent kids, eh, price you pay for freedom, suck it up and buy another gun.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...
    And Scotland responded with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. And there have been no more mass shootings.

I am filled with such rage and fury and frustration. I will never forget the night in 1999, eight weeks after Columbine. I was still working late at night and my boss, the president of the Brady Campaign came in from the Hill. The Senate had just passed a law sponsored by Senator Larry NRA Craig which actually loosened the gun show loophole. My president who had been the legislative force behind the Brady bill and assault weapon ban said, more than twenty kids just died and the Senate made it easier to get guns. The look on his face was indescribable.

Fast forward now and every single gun law is weaker or non-existent. Concealed carry is a right in every state. The CDC can't access gun tracking data for public health research, it's illegal. Not even police chiefs have access to ATF data. The individual right to a weapon is now enshrined in our constitutional law thanks to the Miller case and gun sales are up sharply because Obama is going to "take them away."

I am so sad and so sickened.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The two news sites I'm following haven't had updates in more than 30 minutes - wonder if media are just getting around the fact checking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And Scotland responded with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. And there have been no more mass shootings.

I am filled with such rage and fury and frustration. I will never forget the night in 1999, eight weeks after Columbine. I was still working late at night and my boss, the president of the Brady Campaign came in from the Hill. The Senate had just passed a law sponsored by Senator Larry NRA Craig which actually loosened the gun show loophole. My president who had been the legislative force behind the Brady bill and assault weapon ban said, more than twenty kids just died and the Senate made it easier to get guns. The look on his face was indescribable.

Fast forward now and every single gun law is weaker or non-existent. Concealed carry is a right in every state. The CDC can't access gun tracking data for public health research, it's illegal. Not even police chiefs have access to ATF data. The individual right to a weapon is now enshrined in our constitutional law thanks to the Miller case and gun sales are up sharply because Obama is going to "take them away."

I am so sad and so sickened.
    Concealed Carry is not a right in every state. It is not one here. The problem is how do we know someone is carrying a gun, unless they try to use it. We have states with laws that say you cannot carry a concealed weapon, but how do we enforce that? Can police subject people to random pat downs? We need to stop the sale of guns. We need to make the sale of assault rifles and hand guns illegal. don't gat me wrong, I still think we should have laws against concealed carry, but we need to go farther than that.

They are now saying 20 children have died

vCash

From the Bloc
    vCash
    cnn.com

We are now being told there was no body found in the Hoboken, New Jersey, home as had been previously reported.
    Jeez, where did this info come from? It's been "reported" everywhere!

vCash
    The networks are showing live statement + Q&A from law enforcement. They are still investigating, so they cannot answer some questions, but they said every student has been accounted for (including those who were home, sick), and they have informed every parent.

MSNBC confirmed that 20-year old Adam Lanza was the gunman.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast