Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    ETA ~ Don Lemon on CNN's at the Town Square where the makeshift Memorial has been created and he's now talking to a man who is part of a group that brings in Comfort Dogs to disaster areas or areas that are suffering due to a tragic event such as what happened on Friday. They came all the way from Chicago w/about eight or nine dogs w/them, they looked like Golden Retrievers, just to provide comfort to the people who have come the Memorial. Don was saying for the first time since he's been there, the blank and shell shocked looks on peoples faces have been replaced by smiles just on the sight of the dogs being petted and rubbed by little ones and/or other people there.

What a great organization and God Bless them for them not only bringing the dogs, but also doing the training needed for these dogs to be able to do this. They're going to be helping an awful lot of those people in that small town and area.
    Just turned the t.v. on (to see if the football game was going to run over and postpone the Survivor finale :-) ) and saw this and was going to comment! That was the neatest thing!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    a well written article that I felt addressed many of the issues faced by Americans.. so sad

http://www.freep.com/article/2012121...rebottom%22%7D
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I think there was something very odd going on with this family, or at least the mother. The mother owned 3 guns which she used regularly. The parents were ordered by the court to take "parenting classes" in 2008. In 2008 their kids would have been 16 and 20?? The older brother said he hadn't spoken to the younger in a couple of years, yet they weren't living that far apart. The mother was homeschooling the younger boy because she got into a fight with the school board. Yet his former classmates report that he was a top student.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think there was something very odd going on with this family, or at least the mother. The mother owned 3 guns which she used regularly. The parents were ordered by the court to take "parenting classes" in 2008. In 2008 their kids would have been 16 and 20?? The older brother said he hadn't spoken to the younger in a couple of years, yet they weren't living that far apart. The mother was homeschooling the younger boy because she got into a fight with the school board. Yet his former classmates report that he was a top student.
    Do you have a source you can link for this info?

vCash
    That is one of the few pieces of fortunate news to come out of this, I think it's a great idea.

vCash
    Rachel D'Avino is the correct spelling (not Davino) - I had been wondering why I couldn't find any information about her online. Article today: Shooting victim Rachel D’Avino killed days before marriage proposal

ETA this excerpt from another article: http://graphics.latimes.com/towergra...hool-shooting/
    A close friend from college said Rachel D’Avino, 29, was a recent hire at Sandy Hook Elementary School. D’Avino specialized in special education, formerly working as an therapist for autistic children. “She was one of the funniest, loudest, happiest people ever,” said the friend, who asked that her name not be used out of respect for the family. “She was willing to do absolutely anything for the kids she worked with.” D’Avino was known to dress up in costume and sing songs during activities to help connect with and entertain the children she worked with, the friend said. The friend, who first met D’Avino six years ago while they were both students, said she remembered belting out Disney and “High School Musical” lyrics with D’Avino. “She was an amazing person. We worked together for years, and lived down the street from each other for longer,” she said. “She devoted her life to children.” Dr. John Molteni, director of the Institute for Autism and Behavioral Studies at Saint Joseph College, said in a Facebook post Saturday that D’Avino was a student in the graduate certificate program. “She was a paraprofessional working with a student with special needs, something she had dedicated her life to doing,” Molteni wrote. “She had just completed her coursework to sit for her certification exam on Wednesday.”
    This article includes information from D'Avino's obituary, provided by her family: http://www.lohud.com/article/2012121...her-true-hero-
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-17-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Do you have a source you can link for this info?
    I'd also read that the mom liked to own guns, and owned several, all legally. She had been homeschooling her youngest son due to issues she had with the school system's plan for him.

His brother has said to the police that he hasn't spoken to his younger brother in years.

I hadn't heard anything about the parenting classes.

I can't remember which sources, but they were local NY-metro news.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    With all the wrong info coming from the media, could people not post stories without a link? I'm sorry, but I really don't like all the "I read/I heard" without a link. I find it especially ironic (hypocritical?) after all the criticism of the media.

vCash
    I'm thinking over what I'll say to my students tomorrow. We won't dwell on it all day, but I know they will want to discuss it. So devastating and hard to comprehend. My heart is broken for those families and community.

vCash
    According to state court records, the suspected gunman’s parents divorced in 2009. Both Nancy and Peter Lanza filed certifications of their completion of a parenting-education program, a Connecticut state requirement in divorce proceedings if the couple has children under the age of 18.
    Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012...school-gunman/

Dan Holmes, who owns a local landscaping business, said Nancy Lanza was a gun collector, and that she showed off a rifle she had recently purchased.

"She told me she'd go target shooting with her boys pretty often," Holmes said.

But ATF Special Assistant Agent Gene Marquez said his agency "has not been able to uncover any evidence that the mother and the son were actively engaged in going to the gun ranges, practicing marksmanship, or anything of that nature."
    Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/con...ile/index.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    First funeral for Newtown shooting victim is set for tomorrow in Fairfield, CT.
    Noah Pozner's (6) funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Abraham L. Green & Son Funeral Home.
    According to the Jewish tradition is it customed to sit shiva (a week-long mourning period for first-degree relatives) after the burial.

Noah's twin sister, Arielle, survived the shooting because she was in a different 1st grade class.

The New York Times has this heartbreaking article on Rabbi Praver and Noah's mother: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/ny...-nytimes&_r=1&

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I don't see a problem with that statement. Target shooting doesn't have to take place at a gun range, especially in a rural community.

ETA - response to Sylvia's post.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Parent education program completions is pretty standard for divorces involving children under the age of 18 in almost all the of states. I find that type of court ordered parenting classes to be different than implication that the home situation was troubling and that the parents were somehow mandated to complete classes because they were whatever it was someone was trying to say. It might be, it might not be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Parent education program completions is pretty standard for divorces involving children under the age of 18 in almost all the of states. I find that type of court ordered parenting classes to be different than implication that the home situation was troubling and that the parents were somehow mandated to complete classes because they were whatever it was someone was trying to say. It might be, it might not be
    Yes. I know in Illinois, parenting classes are required if any there are any children under the age of 18.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Beautifully said and dead on too. Thank you!!

All too sadly true.

I haven't seen this posted here yet...

ETA ~ Don Lemon on CNN's at the Town Square where the makeshift Memorial has been created and he's now talking to a man who is part of a group that brings in Comfort Dogs to disaster areas or areas that are suffering due to a tragic event such as what happened on Friday. They came all the way from Chicago w/about eight or nine dogs w/them, they looked like Golden Retrievers, just to provide comfort to the people who have come the Memorial. Don was saying for the first time since he's been there, the blank and shell shocked looks on peoples faces have been replaced by smiles just on the sight of the dogs being petted and rubbed by little ones and/or other people there.

What a great organization and God Bless them for them not only bringing the dogs, but also doing the training needed for these dogs to be able to do this. They're going to be helping an awful lot of those people in that small town and area.
    An article on the comfort dogs: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7533873.story

vCash
    And all the speculation on parenting issues/family being off, is exactly why I said the father will always be under the microscope and people will also be trying to place blame on him for the situation. Does anyone think that this father isn't wondering what he did or didn't do to cause this situation?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Lots of discussion now about the media's mistakes in reporting on Friday, and the effect it had. Here's an article from the Globe and Mail.

Over the weekend, in many articles I read they cited "law enforcement officials with detailed knowledge of the investigation who are not authorized to speak publicly." According to the article I linked, sounds like the local police are looking into just who this person or persons were, because they caused a lot of damage with what appears to be multiple example of misinformation or premature information that led to widespread speculation and false accusations, and continues to confuse.

vCash
    From today's Boston.com blog, MD Mama:
    "Equally important is making mental health services widely and easily available. Right now, they aren't. In many areas, there are long waiting lists just to get an evaluation, let alone to get ongoing treatment. We should think about mental health care the way we do about other health care, and put the same energy into making sure that each and every person has access to it--and can afford it. It's easier to get a gun than to get mental health care in this country. We should be ashamed.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    What is amazing to me is that last night on tv there was a piece that said that after the shootings, gun stores across the US reported their biggest sales in 20 years. They said people are "afraid" ???????, that the government may in the future ban semi-automatic weapons.

My reaction after the shooting was to immediately get rid of guns, so this is beyond my understanding.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'm not surprised. For many, even those who are against guns in principle, protecting oneself/one's family/one's community supercedes that. The more shootings, the more some people feel the need to be ready to defend themselves and their loved ones.

There's also a long simmering survivalist trend, that is being fed by incidents like this, the Mayan calendar, the wave of post apocalyptic movies/tv/books (which are both a reaction to the trend and what continues to feed it), Superstorm Sandy, etc. A key part of the survivalist mindset, along with food/water/shelter/heat, is defense.

And, there are surely many who think that this is the straw that's going to allow a second term president to break the camel's back and impose far stricter gun control laws - so if you were ever thinking about getting one, now would be the time.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast