Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    . To be clear, I was specifically asking about why people felt that mass killings specifically warranted such a strong reaction. I'm also not saying they don't, I think the reaction is right, I'm just trying to understand how the emotional aspects fit in with rational arguments. Humans are emotional and rational so citing statistics and arguing rationally based on them does not get to the heart of human responses.
    I know Sorry, I went on a tangent. I don't have an answer as to what to do, either.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    : http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...-lanzas-mother … must read, be patient, very slow at times to load.
    WOW! Just wow. Thanks for posting.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I totally agree about overall gun violence in the U.S. To be clear, I was specifically asking about why people felt that mass killings specifically warranted such a strong reaction. I'm also not saying they don't, I think the reaction is right, I'm just trying to understand how the emotional aspects fit in with rational arguments. Humans are emotional and rational so citing statistics and arguing rationally based on them does not get to the heart of human responses.

I'm just wondering about the response to the killings and how we all feel about them. I'm not arguing about what to do really. That would belong in PI.
    There are a couple of reasons why mass killings (and this one in particular) have evoked such strong reactions.

First of all, there's the vulnerability. It's very unlikely anyone I know is going to murder me. It's equally unlikely I'll end up killed as a result of gang violence.

But I go to the movies. I go to the mall. And millions of Americans send their children to school.

Secondly, anytime a child (and in America, particulary a white middle class child) is murdered, the response is that much stronger. Look at the fascination with Jon-Benet Ramsey's murder, or Caylee Anthony's.

You combine the two, as happened in Newtown, and the response is going to be that much more intense.

But that doesn't make the response irrational. There's nothing irrational about grieving over the death of children.

vCash
    As hard as it must have been, that mother who hospitalized her son did the right thing.
    I hope that her son. and others with similar problems. get the treatment they need.

Given the state of attitudes about those with mental health issues in the US, that seems as difficult and unlikely as dealing with gun control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Soooooooooo this shooter had no connection to the school whatsoever? And there was no 2nd shooter arrested in the woods behind the school wearing fatigues?
    No second shooter, still no idea why the school/children were targeted, mom was said to be teacher and left work to care for shooter but read it wasn't at that school,yet no one has confirmed or denied this.

I read the police are going through the shooter's computer files and maybe the answer is there. Something about the school obviously set him off.

vCash
    I read the police are going through the shooter's computer files and maybe the answer is there. Something about the school obviously set him off.
    Maybe he thought that his mother cared more for her students than for him?

Given how seriously disturbed he was, there may not be any logical answers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I'm feeling a lot of concern for teachers. Not just the teachers in that school, but all over.

There's constant talk about how to help your children understand this kind of horrific event, but is anyone thinking about what teachers must be feeling?

I have a friend who is a retired kindergarten teacher, and I keep imagining what she must be feeling.

I've been near tears for two days now, and I've never been a teacher, never been responsible for other people's children.

I hope school districts all over the country have someplace for their teachers to express their horror, their grief.
    I teach high school and we have been trained several times about what to do in this situation. I, like Prancer, map out what to do in several different events. I'm not gonna fall apart about it, though, and I don't need my hand held by a counselor, though if some of my colleagues do, that's fine. But I think if you are going to become a teacher, this is something you know is a possibility, though a rare one.

Though I must say, the fact that it happened in an elementary school is shocking. One usually thinks of mass shootings happening in high schools.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I don't want to think too much about what may have been in the shooter's mind. Its just too chilling.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Though I must say, the fact that it happened in an elementary school is shocking. One usually thinks of mass shootings happening in high schools.
    Yep, and usually by students, not the children of parents. You don't expect a relative stranger to come in and shoot the place up.

vCash
    : http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...-lanzas-mother … must read, be patient, very slow at times to load.
    Wow, that was very hard to read. The pain that mother must feel. But, she did the right thing.

vCash
    The more details come out about the shooting, how the children, teachers and staff tried to protect each other is true heroism.

All of these families will continue to be in my prayers.

Also, I'll be praying and sending positive, beautiful thoughts to all the teachers and educators of FSU. This is going to be a very very hard week for you, but be strong. Know that I and many others are with you in spirit.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    And this http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...kable.html?m=1 is the original source, the authors blog page
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Wow, that was very hard to read. The pain that mother must feel. But, she did the right thing.
    There was an article I think in Time, that talked about raising a psychopath child. It was something like the experience that mother wrote. You love your child, but you are afraid of him. And then there are no easy answers over just what to do.

Stories like that make me terrified to be a parent, because there is nothing you can do to raise that child to be different from what they are.

The shooter's mother was stupid to take him target shooting and allowing him access to her guns, but she otherwise sounds like a loving and supportive mother.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

Also, I'll be praying and sending positive, beautiful thoughts to all the teachers and educators of FSU. This is going to be a very very hard week for you, but be strong. Know that I and many others are with you in spirit.
    ^^This.

Teachers are awesome.

Shout out to school counselors as well, and all the counselors who help children, parents, and everyone get through terrible situations.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    This maybe wrong - I heard he went to the school as a younger boy...before home schooling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Assault rifle was used. Banning assualt weapons is a good start.
    http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato...xaminer-says-b
    Amen to that!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Assault rifle was used. Banning assualt weapons is a good start.
    http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato...xaminer-says-b
    This reinforces what I said earlier. It isn't enough for states to have their own gun bans. Unless this is a national ban, the guns will get into the states that do ban them.

vCash
    All 31 pro-gun rights senators were invited to appear on Meet The Press today. None accepted.

If you want to feel really sick, read the entire article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2311559.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    This maybe wrong - I heard he went to the school as a younger boy...before home schooling.
    Yes, this seems to be the only connection to the school thus far.

The fact that he picked his old elementary school instead of, say, his old high school suggests he wanted his victims to be young children. The motive may simply be that he wanted to be remembered as THE worst mass killer ever.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Did anyone see Saturday Night Live last night? I thought they handled it beautifully - instead of the usual skit to open the show, they had a children's choir singing Silent Night. After several verses, they went quiet, then they all shouted the signature "Live from New York, it's Saturday night!!" together and the opening credits ran, followed by the show as planned (including a very funny skit about the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy, with no reference to the prank call or death of the nurse).

I teared up as the kids sang, and thought it was a lovely, appropriate tribute.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast