Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is it me, or is this one of the most ill-reported, by the media, tragedies, ever? The media needs to be more responsible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    That is incorrect. The parents were divorced and the father lives in another state. There are no reports that he was murdered. The brother was killed and he was found in the mother's house. The mother was killed at the school. There are reports that the guns belonged to the mother. There will be soooooo many clues that this man had mental issues after the fact which is sad. So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.
    You can't be serious. ALL of us should have mandatory psych evaluation? What kind of society would that be? You can't punish/legislate people based on tendencies, in a free society. Each person has some emotions that are negative. It's about controling our emotions but it is also important that no one other than the necessary people in the society (law enforcement, soldiers, etc.) has an easy access to guns. If people did not have guns, they won't start shooting others; instead they will find other ways to deal with their emotions. They may even throw punches, but those aren't as deadly as guns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Is it me, or is this one of the most ill-reported, by the media, tragedies, ever? The media needs to be more responsible.
    Isn't it too early to make those judgments? The media can only report what they have found out. In a complex case like this, it is going to take some time for everyone to figure out what really happened, then the whys, hows, and what can we do to prevent this in the future.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    MSNBC confirmed that 20-year old Adam Lanza was the gunman.
    At this point, I don't think anything is confirmed until it comes directly from the police investigators, and they are not naming the shooter yet.

Isn't it too early to make those judgments? The media can only report what they have found out. In a complex case like this, it is going to take some time for everyone to figure out what really happened, then the whys, hows, and what can we do to prevent this in the future.
    But what we have seen this afternoon is that the media has reported many "facts" that have turned out to be incorrect. As Habs noted earlier, in the rush to be the first, media is reporting information that has not been officially verified. In the old days you could do that to some extent, and post a correction later. But now, any "fact" is repeated hundredfold by other media outlets and numerous other online sources, so I think they should be a lot more careful about what they report as "fact."

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You can't be serious. ALL of us should have mandatory psych evaluation? What kind of society would that be? You can't punish/legislate people based on tendencies, in a free society. Each person has some emotions that are negative. It's about controling our emotions but it is also important that no one other than the necessary people in the society (law enforcement, soldiers, etc.) has an easy access to guns. If people did not have guns, they won't start shooting others; instead they will find other ways to deal with their emotions. They may even throw punches, but those aren't as deadly as guns.
    Actually, that is the exact issue being discussed on several other forums. No doubt a forensic examination of this young man's past will identify flash points that were ignored by his family, friends, teachers, etc., Over and over and over the perpetrators of violence are found to have mental dz. Yet, we don't address that. It's easy to get on the gun control soapbox and try to convince yourself that will stop the violence, but it won't. It won't stop people from beating their child or spouse to death. Lawsuits were filed against Virginia Tech for not identifying mental health issues in the shooter or for providing him with mental health care. Just wait until all the data is out about this guy. I was being facetious about requiring a psych eval, but that's the only way to identify potential sociopaths and prevent them from acting. And, then it wouldn't work, because a true sociopath is able to totally fake a psych eval.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Yes, but it seems that this has been extraordinarily mixed up. I realize that they need to sort through things. But, maybe they should hold back "facts" until they are sure about them. I had the TV on this morning and first it was unconfirmed gun shots at a Connecticut school, then Confirmed gun shots, no one injured, then gunman dead one teacher shot in foot and taken to hospital, then gunman dead 3 hospitalized, then gunman and 1 child dead 3 hospitalized, then.... It seems like they should have waited to get more information, rather than changing it continuously. Even getting the right brother. Is the information about the girlfriend right? If the girlfriend is missing - her family must be frantic. But, what if she's fine and uninvolved, just not where the media expects her to be. Maybe I'm just frustrated with all of the changes and the fact that every 5 minutes this horror gets even worse. Maybe I'm transferring my frustration to media adding to the pain of the victim's families.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Actually, that is the exact issue being discussed on several other forums. No doubt a forensic examination of this young man's past will identify flash points that were ignored by his family, friends, teachers, etc., Over and over and over the perpetrators of violence are found to have mental dz. Yet, we don't address that. It's easy to get on the gun control soapbox and try to convince yourself that will stop the violence, but it won't. It won't stop people from beating their child or spouse to death. Lawsuits were filed against Virginia Tech for not identifying mental health issues in the shooter or for providing him with mental health care. Just wait until all the data is out about this guy.
    While I am absolutely in favor of gun control, I think that mental health care in this country is at least as big a problem. But I don't know that behavior is predictable enough to make mandatory evals any kind of viable solution. Yes, the perpetrators of violence are found to have mental illnesses. But the perpetrators of violence have also, more of than not, been seen by mental health professionals as well--and some were under treatment at the time of their attacks. I don't think most people ignore the signs; it's that there isn't a whole lot people can do about them. You can't lock people up against their will. You can't force an adult into treatment. You can't make people take anti-psychotic medication. And so on.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Horrifying. I can't imagine how terrified those children must have been.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I fear a world where we are all to be tested and labeled as to our mental health and likelihood to commit crimes.

Who decides what the criteria are? Who ensures that the evaluators are qualified and unbiassed? Who ensures consistency in how evaluations are conducted? Who keeps these very personal and potentially damaging records? Who has access to them - police, governments, social services, schools, employers? Can a person or their family contest their evaluation or ask to be reevaluated after treatment or when circumstances may have changed? Will evaluations be ongoing? How often? Will this affect a person's ability to get health insurance, social assistance, a job, credit, into schools, to vote? How is the system kept free of corruption? What happens when the government changes and the system is changed or dissolved or reassigned - what happens to all those records? What safeguards will there be in place to keep this information safe from those who would misuse it? Can parents/caregivers/lawyers/doctors have access to this info? Are the records sealed or destroyed when someone dies, or can they be requested by heirs and researchers? For that matter, would the data be available to researchers who develop new therapies or drugs, or to those who fund social programming and law enforcement?

vCash
    Actually, that is the exact issue being discussed on several other forums. No doubt a forensic examination of this young man's past will identify flash points that were ignored by his family, friends, teachers, etc., Over and over and over the perpetrators of violence are found to have mental dz. Yet, we don't address that. It's easy to get on the gun control soapbox and try to convince yourself that will stop the violence, but it won't. It won't stop people from beating their child or spouse to death. Lawsuits were filed against Virginia Tech for not identifying mental health issues in the shooter or for providing him with mental health care. Just wait until all the data is out about this guy. I was being facetious about requiring a psych eval, but that's the only way to identify potential sociopaths and prevent them from acting. And, then it wouldn't work, because a true sociopath is able to totally fake a psych eval.
    Below is a quote from your post:
    "So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue."

You make it sound so easy; ALL of us should go through mandatory psy eval and we will find the potential culprits. You can't legislate tendencies. You are essentially ignoring what guns can do (KILL) and instead you believe that psychologists are going to be able to catch all the people with mental illness. Many people who are not clinically mentally ill can go over the cliff, and those are the most dangerous ones. It will be very easy to label someone whose behavior you don't like as 'mentally ill' and ruin his/her life, using your suggestions. I for one, will not subject myself to this mandatory psych eval, and how often are you going to conduct this? Every year/month/day?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And Scotland responded with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. And there have been no more mass shootings
    The same thing happened after the Port Arthur massacre in Australia. One was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    While I am absolutely in favor of gun control, I think that mental health care in this country is at least as big a problem. But I don't know that behavior is predictable enough to make mandatory evals any kind of viable solution. Yes, the perpetrators of violence are found to have mental illnesses. But the perpetrators of violence have also, more of than not, been seen by mental health professionals as well--and some were under treatment at the time of their attacks. I don't think most people ignore the signs; it's that there isn't a whole lot people can do about them. You can't lock people up against their will. You can't force an adult into treatment. You can't make people take anti-psychotic medication. And so on.
    ITA. Martin Bryant, the one who caused the Port Athur massacre, had mental health problems and at one stage was on medication. Then he went off them. There were warning signs, but police can't act on the, when a crime hasn't been committed, and doctors can't institionalise just because someone goes off their meds.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't think they should be sold automatic weapons, though. Fine, in this country it's a right to own a firearm. Then get a hunting rifle that can only fire one round at a time. (Or whatever the equivalent is - I know next to nothing about guns.) Just because it's your right to own a gun doesn't mean you should be able to legally buy one whose sole purpose is to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    At this point, I don't think anything is confirmed until it comes directly from the police investigators, and they are not naming the shooter yet.

But what we have seen this afternoon is that the media has reported many "facts" that have turned out to be incorrect. As Habs noted earlier, in the rush to be the first, media is reporting information that has not been officially verified. In the old days you could do that to some extent, and post a correction later. But now, any "fact" is repeated hundredfold by other media outlets and numerous other online sources, so I think they should be a lot more careful about what they report as "fact."
    The media did not say these were 'facts'; they were reporting what they had found up to that point, and I didn't see them saying this is the final story. What I saw/heard on the videos at different times was : "xxx, what have you found so far? or have they found ......" and so on. They did go on correcting themselves as more info came in. What did you expect them to do? Talk about something else while this was going on? We all have enough sense to know that it takes time to get the full story.

Crusin, in her characteristic way, called this 'the worst ever reporting'.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    The vast majority of people with severe mental illness will not be violent. That is what makes it so difficult to deal pre-emptively with mental illness as a factor in mass shootings. I don't have any expert knowledge but it doesn't seem that mental health providers have any concrete way of predicting who will be violent.

We've seen this with other recent shootings. I believe it was mentioned that it is usually in the early stages of severe mental illness before the full situation is known to mental health providers that this kind of violence manifests.

I think anything that can be done that helps to identify and get help for individuals who may become violent should be, but it isn't likely to prevent shootings from taking place.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Below is a quote from your post:
    "So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue."

You make it sound so easy; ALL of us should go through mandatory psy eval and we will find the potential culprits. You can't legislate tendencies. You are essentially ignoring what guns can do (KILL) and instead you believe that psychologists are going to be able to catch all the people with mental illness. Many people who are not clinically mentally ill can go over the cliff, and those are the most dangerous ones. It will be very easy to label someone whose behavior you don't like as 'mentally ill' and ruin his/her life, using your suggestions. I for one, will not subject myself to this mandatory psych eval, and how often are you going to conduct this? Every year/month/day?
    I didn't say it was easy at all. I guess you missed the I was being facetious statement. See Prancer's post with which ITA. I most certainly am not ignoring the facts about guns. I suspect I know way more than you do on the subject and I'll just leave it at that.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I just turned it on a bit ago, but CNN has prefaced at least some of their reports with cautions that it is difficult to confirm events at this point, and this is what they've heard from wherever, etc.

This is an extraordinary event, in scope more complex and emotionally wrenching than even similar recent shootings. Both the numbers involved and the fact that so many children were killed have us all freaking out, and trying to understand what the hell happened, and why.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't think they should be sold automatic weapons, though. Fine, in this country it's a right to own a firearm. Then get a hunting rifle that can only fire one round at a time. (Or whatever the equivalent is - I know next to nothing about guns.) Just because it's your right to own a gun doesn't mean you should be able to legally buy one whose sole purpose is to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.
    I know what you are saying. Personally, I would like to see a constitutional amendment to take away the right for every citizen to carry guns. I know it's not going to happen, so the next step is to ban assault rifles. Sadly, even after so many innocent lives lost, this country still does not want to ban those weapons. Why does anyone in a civilized society need to carry a gun? There are law enforcement people for that. I don't approve of hunting, but there is no way hunting rifles will be banned, so I have to live with it. Not everyone that owns a gun or an assault rifle is mentally ill, or seeing a psychiatrist, or on mental medicine. Normal people can lose their temper and shoot someone. I know I am in the minority when it comes to gun control, but I believe that at least assault rifles should not be sold anyone that is not going to war.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The media did not say these were 'facts'; they were reporting what they had found up to that point, and I didn't see them saying this is the final story. They did go on correcting themselves as more info came in. What did you expect them to do? Talk about something else while this was going on? We all have enough sense to know that it takes time to get the full story.
    The problem is that when media says something, people assume it's fact, and that's why it gets repeated. What they need to do is hang onto information until they can confirm it from a credible source - otherwise to name names especially is irresponsible. There is plenty to report in the mean time, and that media has been reporting - background on the school/community, context such as other similar events, background on local gun laws, and for news, numerous eyewitness accounts. The police have now given several briefings, as has the President and the Governor, and there have been additional statements from others to report as well. And, amid all this chaos of information and developments, I think the media could spend a bit more effort doing regular recaps of the FACTS that have been confirmed and by who, and what information is still to come.

And no, we don't all have enough sense to know that it takes time to get the full story. Those "facts" that were later corrected have been spread everywhere, including in this thread. It's impossible to go back and correct it all, and as a result, misinformation continues to fly around the world.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I just turned it on a bit ago, but CNN has prefaced at least some of their reports with cautions that it is difficult to confirm events at this point, and this is what they've heard from wherever, etc.

This is an extraordinary event, in scope more complex and emotionally wrenching than even similar recent shootings. Both the numbers involved and the fact that so many children were killed have us all freaking out, and trying to understand what the hell happened, and why.
    I don't think normal people can understand. He had his reasons which were valid to him, but only to him. Same as every murderer regardless of the situation.

And how would banning assault rifles have prevented this? He didn't use one. He used hand guns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    The vast majority of people with severe mental illness will not be violent. That is what makes it so difficult to deal pre-emptively with mental illness as a factor in mass shootings. I don't have any expert knowledge but it doesn't seem that mental health providers have any concrete way of predicting who will be violent.

We've seen this with other recent shootings. I believe it was mentioned that it is usually in the early stages of severe mental illness before the full situation is known to mental health providers that this kind of violence manifests.

I think anything that can be done that helps to identify and get help for individuals who may become violent should be, but it isn't likely to prevent shootings from taking place.
    In addition, it's hard for anyone, including me, to believe that someone who does this doesn't have a mental illness. Mentally stable people don't commit mass murder. Whether it was an ongoing mental illness, or a temporary psychotic break, I believe anyone capable of this has a mental illness. There's no other way in my mind to explain it, plenty of people have domestic disputes and don't shoot up a kindergarten class. But plenty of mentally ill people have disputes and don't commit mass murder either, so trying to predict who is going to do what, is impossible, even if we do know someone's mental state.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast