Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Happy to see Sally Field back amongst the ranks of the nominated. I think her last nomination for a movie was in the 80s?
    For those old enough to "get" this:

We really like her. We can't deny the fact that we like her, right now, we like her.

And now we like her again. We really like her.

vCash
    My brother told me that when the new Spiderman came out, a lot of guys on the internet were chatting up about how "hot" Aunt May was. It seems like they really like her too.

vCash
    ^^^ Say what? How old were these guys? SF hasn't been "hot" since her Smokey and the Bandits days, LOL. She seems like a very nice woman though.

vCash
    The demographics of the websites my brother frequents probably range from teens to late 20s.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ^^^ Say what? How old were these guys? SF hasn't been "hot" since her Smokey and the Bandits days, LOL. She seems like a very nice woman though.
    WHAT?!?! I still read comic books and have to see all movies Spiderman, Batman, X-Men....etc. the first day they open.

And I still think Sally is HOT!!! But I'm also 50.

I can't wait to hear her Oscar speach if she should get nominated and win. ....I hope it starts with "And you still like me!!!! You really like me!!!!"

vCash
    Anyone know who the favorites are by categories ?
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    I'm not quite sure yet - and for the first time in several years I haven't seen most of the nominated films - but I will say that, putting aside the fact that she is an immensely talented actress who has gotten absolute raves for her performance and quite like is a front-runner, it would be a very smart political move for The Academy for Jennifer Lawrence to win. So often I feel like the Best Actress winner then basically disappears, or their career never reaches that high again, but not only is Jennifer extremely young and ridiculously talented, she also has several guaranteed hits in the next few years and is hugely popular with the young crowd The Academy keeps trying to attract.

vCash
    Gosh, that would be crazy though, wouldn't it? I read somewhere that the reason that Oscar winners tend to disappear after a win is because their value increases and most production companies can no longer afford them. And also, they have a reputation to uphold that makes it difficult to rush out and take just any offer that looks appealing. There's a lot of expectation on them and for awhile they are almost limited to a certain type of movie in order to keep their reputation intact.

Sorry, rambling. I love Jen and I'd be thrilled if she won, but I think most people will consider her too young and that she hasn't "paid her dues" yet. But if she nabs yet another nom in a year or so, then we can talk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I'm not quite sure yet - and for the first time in several years I haven't seen most of the nominated films - but I will say that, putting aside the fact that she is an immensely talented actress who has gotten absolute raves for her performance and quite like is a front-runner, it would be a very smart political move for The Academy for Jennifer Lawrence to win. So often I feel like the Best Actress winner then basically disappears, or their career never reaches that high again, but not only is Jennifer extremely young and ridiculously talented, she also has several guaranteed hits in the next few years and is hugely popular with the young crowd The Academy keeps trying to attract.
    I have not seen Zero Dark Thirty yet. Jessica Chastain has gotten very good reviews for her performance as a lead actress. She too is a young actress, so it may come down to these two for the best actress award. Until ZDT is released, Jennifer is a definite front runner.

For men I think it will be between Daniel Day Lewis and John Hawkes.

For supporting actress, Anne Hathaway is considered the fave.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Gosh, that would be crazy though, wouldn't it? I read somewhere that the reason that Oscar winners tend to disappear after a win is because their value increases and most production companies can no longer afford them. And also, they have a reputation to uphold that makes it difficult to rush out and take just any offer that looks appealing. There's a lot of expectation on them and for awhile they are almost limited to a certain type of movie in order to keep their reputation intact.
    Some appear to take advantage of the momentum though - I recall Tommy Lee Jones did a ton of movies right after his Oscar win, and John Travolta after his "comeback" Oscar nom for Pulp Fiction. My guess is that some actors want to do a bunch right away, so that if some fail at the box office or turn out to be inferior movies, they have others to keep their name out there and their reputation up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I read somewhere that the reason that Oscar winners tend to disappear after a win is because their value increases and most production companies can no longer afford them. And also, they have a reputation to uphold that makes it difficult to rush out and take just any offer that looks appealing. There's a lot of expectation on them and for awhile they are almost limited to a certain type of movie in order to keep their reputation intact.
    Some so-so actors also got nominated or won for once-in-a-lifetime roles. For example, Jennifer Hudson is an adequate TV sitcom actress at best, so it's not surprising that she doesn't really have a film career after her Oscar win.

vCash
    Plus, I think Hudson was a singer who got the role of a lifetime. I think her passion still lies in music rather than film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Happy to see Sally Field back amongst the ranks of the nominated. I think her last nomination for a movie was in the 80s?
    I once saw Sally Field in this made for TV film called Sybil. I think it was made sometime during the mid 1970's. It was about a woman with multiple personalities. Sally Field was absolutely incredible in it.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    I once saw Sally Field in this made for TV film called Sybil. I think it was made sometime during the mid 1970's. It was about a woman with multiple personalities. Sally Field was absolutely incredible in it.
    The Sally Field version of "Sybil" is better than the remake that was made a few years ago. I remember watching it on TV back in the '70's. It was a huge ratings hit.

It's what led her to get roles in "Norma Rae"(79) and "Places In The Heart"(84).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    The Sally Field version of "Sybil" is better than the remake that was made a few years ago. I remember watching it on TV back in the '70's. It was a huge ratings hit.

It's what led her to get roles in "Norma Rae"(79) and "Places In The Heart"(84).
    Paul Newman's wife, Joanne Woodward, was also superb in Sybil as the psychiatrist

vCash
    Sally Field actually has a good chance of winning Supporting Actress, especially with "Lincoln" being such a hit. Anne Hathaway is still the frontrunner, but "Les Miserables" has gotten mixed reviews.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Lincoln vs. Zero Dark Thirty/Spielberg vs. Bigelow battle that's shaping up for the Oscars.

vCash
    Les Mis has gotten mixed reviews, but it's still at 71% currently on rottentomatoes. Ann has gotten almost unanimously glowing reviews for her performance of IDAD.

SF has already won two Oscars for BA; I just don't see the Academy awarding her a 3rd Oscar that will push her into the same category as Meryl Streep and Kate Hepburn. It took Meryl a really long time to win her third golden statue, and she has been way more productive and versatile an actress than Field has been.

vCash
    Double post. Deleted.

vCash
    I think the academy will award Anne as the young actress who has delivered many top notch performances, and is due for a golden statue. Sally has won before, so I think the academy may not give her the award. Same with Helen Hunt. As good she was in The sessions, she already has an Oscar.

vCash
    I heard Ann Dowd was award-worthy in Compliance, but it looks like it's Anne Hathaway's award to lose unless Sally Field wins the Globe and SAG.

BTW, I didn't realize that Sally Field had to audition for the role of Mary Todd Lincoln and after two screen tests (Daniel Day Lewis flew in from Ireland for one day to do one of them with her) she got the part. She also had to gain 25 lbs for the role as well. Oscar loves that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 12-20-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast