Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

New Years Cup, Slovakia, Jan 3-6 2013

Entries here http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/

Lots of FCC countries here with entries from Australia, Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Mexico, Malaysia, South Africa, and Thailand.

vCash
    and sarah hecken, still fighting for the tes for worlds

vCash
    Yay, Mualem gets her first competition.

Saw her in Metulla last weekend - was impressed with her spins, was not impressed with anything else. If what is written about her on the IISF is true - that she started skating at the age of 16 and is now just 20 - she is crazily talented.

vCash
    I see Stephanie Zhang (AUS) is entered. Apparently this is this really the Stephanie Zhang that competed internationally ten years ago. I checked the ISU bio, and it lists her as having competed in 2013 Australian Nationals finishing 3rd. She also competed in Nationals in 2005 and 2003, but her last international event dates back to 2002. She is 27 now. Interesting that she chose to come back to competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Yay, Mualem gets her first competition.

Saw her in Metulla last weekend - was impressed with her spins, was not impressed with anything else. If what is written about her on the IISF is true - that she started skating at the age of 16 and is now just 20 - she is crazily talented.
    An acquaintance of mine who trains there mentioned someone like that a while back, IIRC. I'm not sure I've seen Mualem skate, but it's certainly impressive if she really did start skating that late (and has only trained in Metulla).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I see Stephanie Zhang (AUS) is entered. Apparently this is this really the Stephanie Zhang that competed internationally ten years ago. I checked the ISU bio, and it lists her as having competed in 2013 Australian Nationals finishing 3rd. She also competed in Nationals in 2005 and 2003, but her last international event dates back to 2002. She is 27 now. Interesting that she chose to come back to competition.

I believe that she has only been back I training for a very short time and that her recent Nationals was the first event she has skated under the IJS.

She has a number of triples already. As to why she would make a comeback at 27, I would say that is Sochi calling her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    An acquaintance of mine who trains there mentioned someone like that a while back, IIRC. I'm not sure I've seen Mualem skate, but it's certainly impressive if she really did start skating that late (and has only trained in Metulla).
    So it seems: that's her website, apparently

vCash
    They're not doing live score updates, by the looks of things. I wanted to see how Isabelle Pieman was doing, but it looks like I will need to be productive at work instead. Hrumph.

ETA: 7th place after 2 mistakes isn't too bad, so I'll take it. for Hecken's good effort and a 3-3 . Israeli girl had both her double jump attempts downgraded by << and her flying sit and camel combo never got credited at all. I still think this should be a good learning experience for her and she'll have plenty of things to work on after the event.

http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/201..._SP_Scores.pdf
    Last edited by ioana; 01-04-2013 at 06:29 PM.

vCash
    Sarah Hecken is in the lead, with 50.76

vCash
    Sarah got her SP minimum score ( + 28) again in the SP...now on to the FP which she has come within 1 point of making ...twice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    Sarah got her SP minimum score ( + 28) again in the SP...now on to the FP which she has come within 1 point of making ...twice
    Third time's a charm ?

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    The score link posted has her TES 27.9, .1 shy. But as you say she's made the short program TES already.

vCash
    Oops..thanks danafan.
    I didn't go back and check..I must have assumed the min was 25 as I looked at it.

vCash
    Michelle Couwenberg also got a minimum TES...hopefully, she'll reach 36 pts in the free and gets sent to Zagreb .

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Michelle Couwenberg also got a minimum TES...hopefully, she'll reach 36 pts in the free and gets sent to Zagreb.
    NED didn't submit any ladies' entries to Europeans - could she still be added if she made the FS min.?

ETA: Never mind, as Couwenberg scored 34.15 TES in her FS.

1 Sarah HECKEN
    GER 94.70 49.36 45.34 5.75 5.42 5.75 5.67 5.75 0.00 #17
    Hecken has made the Worlds min. of 48 in her FS (the only one to do so today).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-05-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    NED didn't submit any ladies' entries to Europeans - could she still be added if she made the FS min.?

ETA: Never mind, as Couwenberg scored 34.15 TES in her FS.

the same applies to the Porters - dead last in dance competition, far from any decent TES. there won't be second AZE team in Zagreb...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Seeing a senior skater score TES of 2.85 (SP) and 7.18 (FS) makes me feel a lot better about the state of Irish skating.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Seeing a senior skater score TES of 2.85 (SP) and 7.18 (FS) makes me feel a lot better about the state of Irish skating.
    I feel bad for Muallem . I don't know what her expectations were going in, but even if the goal is just to get international experience and see where she can improve, scores that bad have to hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    lol. The difference is that we'll see the state of Irish skating in Europeans, while that will remain for those skating in Metulla only.

Muallem states on her site she have been skating for 4 years. If it was taking place, say, in Russia she would be 8y.o. by now. Her list of elements make a decent 8y.o. programme. What were the federation thinking sending her to a competition to get such a blow - beats me. What is she thinking saying she has olympic hopes beats me even more, but then she's not the only israeli skater with sci fi ambitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Muallem states on her site she have been skating for 4 years. If it was taking place, say, in Russia she would be 8y.o. by now. Her list of elements make a decent 8y.o. programme. What were the federation thinking sending her to a competition to get such a blow - beats me. What is she thinking saying she has olympic hopes beats me even more, but then she's not the only israeli skater with sci fi ambitions.
    I don't know, even a young skater would be expected to rotate some jumps and to get credit for her spins. Yafit Asaf did when she was still competing (though she had been training longer at that point, I think). I agree that it was irresponsible to send Muallem considering her current level, and someone should have realized what that level was. I hope for her sake that this won't be too hard for her to deal with and that she will be able to improve.

This just goes to show that you can't achieve much with the current training conditions in Israel (not that this is news to anyone). Maybe if the IISF were more concerned about developing the sport in Israel rather than importing d-list skaters with vague Jewish connections things would be different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast