Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

New Skating Reality Show

I received an e-mail that said the following:

TLC's newest show Jersey on Ice premiers on Thursday December 12 at 10:00 p.m.!

Featuring some of the dynamic coaches of Floyd Hall Arena and the intense training of ice skaters! [Jersey on Ice TLC 12/12/12]

Anyone have any details?

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...s-allowed.html
    Last edited by n*ice mom; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: added article

vCash
    I bet it doesn't show the real side of skating, just some over dramatized idiots playacting for the camera.

Just once I'd like them to make a reality show that follows a bunch of skaters around for a season, no faked histronics, no over-done drama, just real training, real views. Skating in itself is difficult enough and tough enough that that would be a great show.

Blergh
    vCash
    It looks deliciously trashy. The moms seems to have the right amount of delusion to make for good, low-brow television.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I bet it doesn't show the real side of skating, just some over dramatized idiots playacting for the camera.

Just once I'd like them to make a reality show that follows a bunch of skaters around for a season, no faked histronics, no over-done drama, just real training, real views. Skating in itself is difficult enough and tough enough that that would be a great show.
    Exactly this was done a few yrs ago on US TV. Don't remember much of the details except that Danielle Kahle (sp?) was one of the skaters. They followed a group of up-and-coming US girls. Others may remember more details.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Alilou, I believe you are referring to the 2006 TLC series, Ice Diaries. Alissa Czisny was also a part of that show.

Here is a description of the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Diaries

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Jersey Ice" thread in the TV Alerts forum (includes NJ article links): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...iers-Dec-12-12

misskarne, I recommend checking out "Ice Diaries" on YouTube (not sure if all 6 of the hour-long episodes are online, though). It was very well done overall, I thought. The one bad thing was the last episode (2006 US Nationals) was broadcast at a weird time or date and so many people missed seeing it!

ETA link to a video playlist of the first 3 "Ice Diaries" episodes (I wonder if the remaining clips were deleted due to a copyright issue?): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C83C95D2F4F7786
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-12-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: to add video playlist link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by n*ice mom View Post
    TLC's newest show Jersey on Ice premiers on Thursday December 12 at 10:00 p.m.!
    That would be tonight (Wednesday) not Thursday.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Dance moms was scripted and typical reality tv bs, but the kids were talented and worth watching...not sure anyone will watch these kids doing single axels. I'd never let my kids participate in this crap unless they are doing it for a future acting career and are fully aware of the shadiness of the producers.

vCash
    Now it's time for skating moms?!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    TLC did both shows. I'm sad they are following the Dance Moms formula.

Also, I believe USFS refused to sanction this show, so any parent who signed their kids on for this has no effectively killed any future hopes for anything beyond ISI. I also think those coaches are not USFS recognized. So in short, everyone sold out for a quick buck.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I hope this brings interest to figure skating and not turn the casual fans off from even watching the 2 hour competition coverages on tv

Having that said... I wish a network would make a tv show based on figure skating. Kind of like what the CW did with competitive cheerleading in Hellcats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Also, I believe USFS refused to sanction this show, so any parent who signed their kids on for this has no effectively killed any future hopes for anything beyond ISI. I also think those coaches are not USFS recognized. So in short, everyone sold out for a quick buck.
    I believe that is correct. I remember USFS sending out e-mails to club officers warning people that they would lose eligibility if they participated.

A few years ago, MTV had a reality show focusing on 3 competitive skaters in the Philly area, which I thought was overdramatized, but what would you expect from MTV. The Ice Diaries series Sylvia mentioned above was well-done for the most part and I wish a network would invest in something like that again.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    everyone sold out for a quick buck.
    It's what we do best in Jersey!

Next stop on the Sellout Express: Mayor of Newark!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Banned Member
    vCash
    This appears to be a worthless television program.

vCash
    If Ashley Wagner, or Charlie White were in a reality tv show on a major network and they were taping their lives up to the Olympic games, a lot of people would be watching...The usfsa needs to me more innovative and up-to-date with the promotion of the sport. Wishful thinking...

Blergh
    vCash
    Would people really be watching?

Plus, would Olympic-caliber skaters really want to be filmed in the lead up to the Olympics? It seems disruptive to me.

I think the USFS and their skaters have done a great job using social media to promote themselves and the sport. The problem is that figure skating is a niche sport with no pro circuit to promote it. I personally hated those fluff specials and jokes that they called competition, but television audiences seemed to eat that stuff up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I personally hated those fluff specials and jokes that they called competition, but television audiences seemed to eat that stuff up.
    Oh God, I couldn't stand those. Amazing, though, the impact they had on making lifelong careers for those skaters. There are so many skaters who came after that should have had the name and face recognition of a Kristi or Scott, that never will. Why did the pro competitions end anyway?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The first season of Johnny Weir's show detailed his competitive season and working towards the Olympics. IIRC. There was a lot of other stuff as well, but I remember them showing him training and at one of the grand prix events.

The hard part is that I doubt most major networks would show a reality show like that - they'll barely show the competiitions. But I think there could be a place for a high quality show on a smaller network. I recall Ice Diaries was fairly well done and while it's never going to be real "reality", they definitely showed the sacrifices the families made, the problem with injuries and the difficulty of making it to the top. They tried to promote it as which one of these would make their Olympic dreams come true, and reallly none of them were close that year - so that looked a bit silly, but I thought overall it wasn't bad.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It looks deliciously trashy. The moms seems to have the right amount of delusion to make for good, low-brow television.
    Sounds like my kind of show!

vCash
    Is this that Ice Moms show that Lifetime was supposed to air?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast