vCash

Portland Mall Shooting: 3 dead, including shooter; 1 seriously injured

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...hooting_3.html

A gunman who terrorized the Clackamas Town Center Tuesday afternoon, firing dozens of shots from an automatic weapon and killing two people, has been confirmed dead. A third victim was seriously injured.

Lt. James Rhodes, a sheriff’s office spokesman, said he believed the gunman acted alone. “There was one and only one,” he said at a news conference.
    There are quite a few FSUers who are from Portland and surrounding areas. I hope everyone and their loved ones are safe.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    That's the mall where the rink Tonya Harding trained at is at. I've skated there and I bet a lot of FSUers have, too.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I took my first lesson there. The rink is gone now.

This is just so surreal, my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.

vCash
    What shocking, awful news. Is there no place safe?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    What shocking
    You know, I don't want to get into the gun control debate or sound insensitive, but is it really shocking at this point? I'm sad because it's no longer shocking to hear this type of news.

It's terrible that this happened during the holidays. My heart breaks for the victims' families.

vCash
    The shootings took place in the food court, where the rink used to be. I skated in the grand opening of the mall/rink in 1981, in a number with Richard Dwyer (along with about five other teen girls), and that rink was my primary one throughout my teens, and again in my 20s doing dance and adult FS. Even without the rink, thats still the closest mall to my house and we visit there semi-regularly. It's stunning - tragic. Unbelievable.

ETA: That was also the rink where I first started trial judging, and whee I judged my last test session before hanging it up. And my last competition as a skater before '96 Adult Nationals. It's been miserable seeing the food court in place of "my" rink, but now it seems so much worse. Is it inevitable to miss the "good old days" as we get older?

It still really hasn't sunk in. I was just over in that area yesterday.
    Last edited by Jasmar; 12-12-2012 at 07:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    You know, I don't want to get into the gun control debate or sound insensitive, but is it really shocking at this point? I'm sad because it's no longer shocking to hear this type of news.

It's terrible that this happened during the holidays. My heart breaks for the victims' families.
    It's shocking to me.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    (((Jasmar)))

I saw this on TV last night when I got home. I have always thought of Oregon as one of the more progressive states in our country. It is shocking to see gun violence there. My sympathies to those who lost loved ones.

To some extent I am with Whitneyskates. These things have become too frequent and too common. Still, when it happens, it still shocks me.

Unfortunately gun control will never happen, with the politics being the way they are, and people not willing to give up their 'right to carry guns'. It's beyond ridiculous to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post

New York magazine did a list of "mass" shootings from Columbine to the "Batman" movie shooting in Aurora. We are talking about a gunman (men) who just go somewhere and start shooting. They had to put it in a practically microscopic font in order to get the list on one page. I am not surprised at all.