View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carolina Kostner

38 15.70%
  • Ashley Wagner

58 23.97%
  • Mao Asada

100 41.32%
  • Miki Ando

6 2.48%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

7 2.89%
  • Adelina Sotnikova

0 0%
  • Akiko Suzuki

2 0.83%
  • Alena Leonova

0 0%
  • Gracie Gold

7 2.89%
  • Kaetlyn Osmond

12 4.96%
  • Kiira Korpi

3 1.24%
  • Other

9 3.72%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

After watching Yu na Kim's skate on YT, it seems she will be the one to beat at the 2013 worlds, and later at the 2014 Olympics again.

While she was away, ladies figure skating suffered quite a bit, but we saw improvement in Kostner, and some new young skaters on the scene, while Mao seemed to start over.

Which of these ladies has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

vCash
    Miki Ando isn't competing this season (she won't be at Japan Nationals).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Mao Asada. Returning to form

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    None of the above
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What's Kostner up to these days?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Kostner's scheduled to make her season debut at Golden Spin of Zagreb this week (see competition thread in Kiss and Cry).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Kostner does have the ability. If she can pull off clean programs with two 3flips and a 2a+3T then she could easily win. She has the components she just needs to do the jumps and she could beat almost anyone IMO

vCash
    Kaetlyn Osmond has the same number of votes as Kostner (at this point). Oh well, it is a random, unscientific FSU poll in Trash Can.

In her highly probable debut at Worlds, if Osmond skates clean she will realistically be fortunate to make top five or six. But yeah, sure Worlds is taking place in Canada, which also counts for a lot. Top of podium though, no way in her first time at Worlds. She's a shining star alright, but give her some time to fully develop. It's like just because she's one of the more talented singles ladies Canada has seen in awhile, she must suddenly shoot right to the top over everyone else.

vCash
    if Kim skates even reasonably well she wins both the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, period. I voted other, as the answer is Yu Na. The one with the best chance to beat Yu Na Kim is Yu Na Kim.

vCash
    Ice is slippery. You never know. You can only hope that the best wins the night

vCash
    ^ I don't care how slippery is ice, 2013 Worlds is NOT going to be like Kimmie Meissner gutting it out and grabbing gold at post-Olympic Worlds 2006 in a depleted field, where all the top favorites appeared to be tiptoeing through the tulips as they one-by-one gave away the top of the podium.

vCash
    Mao Asada, she already beat Yuna in 2010

vCash
    l'etolie,
    I love your comment

vCash
    After viewing both of Yu Na's new programs that she debuted in Dortmund, I think it might be true as judgejudy commented that Yu Na is the only one who can beat herself. Albeit, ice is slippery and Yu Na lost a bit of focus or endurance in the latter part of her fp (during combo jumps she singled, and when she fell on a jump). However, she recovered nicely. I think her layback has improved a bit, but it's still not the best position aesthetically, and she still doesn't seem to make any effort to point her feet (I know it's not easy to do in stiff skate boots, but it would enhance her look on the ice). She was obviously focused more on getting the programs out there than in performing them to perfection.

These programs tho' are great for Yu Na. I like them much better than I do Mao's programs (and I have previously tended to enjoy Mao's skating more than Yu Na's). Although Mao is very lovely and courageous, and I admire her comeback, I think both of Yu Na's programs are stronger this season and have the potential to be even stronger at Worlds, especially if Yu Na comes prepared and skates clean. Yet there is something about Yu Na's reserve that keeps me from being fully drawn to her skating.

vCash
    Miki Ando, if she comes back, I think has the best chance. Not that she is so good, but her usual strategy of take it slow and pray till everyone else falls could work. It has before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by momsk8 View Post
    Mao Asada, she already beat Yuna in 2010

Not really. Kim defeated herself by making major mistakes in the SP and that was why she lost. I just haven't been impressed with Mao's technical jumps even when she's winning this season.

vCash
    Don't know. Yuna is not at her best form yet and she didn't promise anything big this season so ... well.. anyone of the handful girls can beat her, IMO. But I do think even though she's off form, she can still keep within top 5 easily. Good luck to all the ladies. I just want to see great skating and programs from all.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Don't know. Yuna is not at her best form yet and she didn't promise anything big this season so ... well.. anyone of the handful girls can beat her, IMO. But I do think even though she's off form, she can still keep within top 5
    Too cute. Yu Na's scores from her first event back would have won the Grand Prix final quite easily, and would have been about 20 points over 2nd place Wagner. At this event she had a mistake filled long program and was quite mediocre for her standards. She doesnt have to promise anything, anyone knows she is not coming back to just be top 5, and unless she breaks her leg early in her long program she wont ever be down in 4th or 5th against the current crop of girls (although even then her usual short program would probably have her way ahead of the field, and able to win atleast bronze even with a 1 or 2 triple long, especialy seeing Asada winning events with only 3 triples).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Not really. Kim defeated herself by making major mistakes in the SP and that was why she lost. I just haven't been impressed with Mao's technical jumps even when she's winning this season.
    You can say that about any favorite. She lost because she made mistakes and the other skaters did not. It means they skated better than her on that day, and won fair and square. There is no such thing as defeating yourself, no matter how good you are. IIRC her LP was not that flawless either but she was given higher marks than a clean Mao, which was a travesty. Mao beat her in that competition, period.

vCash
    anyone can beat yuna.. you never know and no one is guaranteed a win. heck if mao won with only 3 triples in nhk then anyone can win..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast